Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #241
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I understand exactly what he is saying.

I just wish I was smart enough to figure out how he figured it out......

Christopher,

I see commercial applications. You could make some $$ with this.

Absolutely. Cadillac is a rare bird indeed. I know lots of "old school" hot rodders and a few techno-geeks...but he is the only person I have ever encountered that has mastered both ends of the spectrum. Just wish I could follow his techno guidance once in a while.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #242
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
There he goes talkin' that funny furin language agin.

What he said!

Frankly, I have no idea as to what Christopher was talking about.

As the years go by it seems as if all of the knowledge and experience I have is going to become less and less valuable. While the knowledge and experience of people like ECB and Christopher will become more and more valuable.

Which means they are becoming extremely valuable and precious to behold.

Thanks for you input guys!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #243
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
What he said!

Frankly, I have no idea as to what Christopher was talking about.

As the years go by it seems as if all of the knowledge and experience I have is going to become less and less valuable. While the knowledge and experience of people like ECB and Christopher will become more and more valuable.

Which means they are becoming extremely valuable and precious to behold.

Thanks for you input guys!
Technology advances. If you don't, you'll get left behind. Story of the ages.

First with the trains at the breakneck speed of 25mph. Then those funny horseless carriages; they'll never last. And who the hell needs a computer at home???
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #244
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
oh wow I forgot to update my thread...

first off the bus is doing fantastic with the new transmission.. ive been driving it everywhere.. a friend ands I even took it to the Junkyard yesterday so he could get parts for his Lincoln he is resotring... what better thing to drive than my bus full of tools and with vinyl seats that can be wiped clean with a towel!

I put new shocks on it all the way around just because it seemed bouncier than it should.

out with the old

WELL SORRY FOLKS.. EVEN THOUGH IM A PAID PHOTOBUCKET MEMBER THIS FORUM NAZIS HAVE DISALLOWED MY PICTIURE LINKS SO NO MORE PICS FROM ME!!!!!

and in with the new

no more bouncey bus.. well Ok its a school bus.. it still bounces.. just feels stiffer than it did.. potholes still do give a good bang.. but doesnt send me all over the road now..

so the next project has bene seeing how to integrate better to my ECM.. running an allison purely on TPS doesnt give the fully integrated experience im going for.. when on cruise control it doesnt handle downshifting on hills properly as the pedal stays at 0%.. so im working on emulating Pedal position by use of parameters on engine loading and injector demand that come from my Bus ECM.. a micro controller can do it easily.. but I may use a raspberry PI so I can use it as a single point of display for all things drivetrain computer...

my MPGs are definitely higher, oil temps for sure lower.. coolant temps never out of line.. in fact the fan doesnt run much on the highway... and do to the decreased RPMs when the fan does run.. it doesnt eat up tons of power and is alot quieter..

im going to run it down to cincinatti i think tomorrow or weds and do the climb out into northern kentucky.. its a nice long grade to pull out of after going through downtown southbound.. if I hit traffic at the right time i should be able to run it at a good speed and see how it does.. on the flip side.. turn around and run it on the downhill and see how the holding power of the 1000 is as I tap shift it down.

I want to run Monteagle.. I may do that on my next trip to florida, slide over nashville way and back across..

I ordered a fully tuneable TCM to play with which is likely not a permanent solution, however it lets me create a fully custom tune using my EFILive that I can then send to the folks at CAC to see if they can incorporate it into my A53 (late gen) TCM... the A53 cant be tiuned with EFILive.. so i have to swap the computers to play with shift points and shift qualities..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #245
Bus Geek

Did I miss something???

"WELL SORRY FOLKS.. EVEN THOUGH IM A PAID PHOTOBUCKET MEMBER THIS FORUM NAZIS HAVE DISALLOWED MY PICTIURE LINKS SO NO MORE PICS FROM ME!!!!!"

What is this about? I know the A-holes at Photobucket are holding everyone's pix for ransom...but what has that got to do with this forum?
Old 07-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #246
Bus Geek

yep the forum saw i had a photobucket link in my post and gave me the kiss of death that it would not post my message unless i removed it...

Im a paid PB member but eveidently the forum gods that isnt good enough...
-Christopher
Old 07-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #247
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Well of course I'm not affiliated with and cannot speak for the forum ownership/management, but I'd view it a little more charitably.

A significant chunk of the forum's value was unfortunately built on the foundation of a 3rd party: photobucket. When PB decided to "take their ball and go home" by disabling images shared by free members, that significantly undermined the value of the skoolie.net site. It makes some sense that the skoolie.net ownership might say "hey, it was our mistake to allow this situation to grow as it did, but going forward we don't want any more of the value of our site depending on the good will of others."

Perhaps it's painting with an overly broad brush to disallow all new photobucket links. But maybe there isn't a reliable way for the forum to determine which PB links will work (paying PB member) and which won't (free PB member). Forum members who are free PB users could become frustrated "why aren't skoolie and PB compatible?" not realizing it's their free PB status that's at fault. And even if the PB member were paying at the time a link is entered, they could stop paying PB in the future -- those images would then break and that would undermine the value of skoolie.net too.

So no, I don't really like it. But I'm sympathetic to skoolie.net ownership perhaps feeling burned by PB and deciding to protect against pain in the future from what may well be a dying image hosting service.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #248
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
I use smugmug, not many pictures here though
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #249
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Imgur!!!
IDK why everyone moaning the rightful death of PukeBucket. Imgur is great. And FREE.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #250
Bus Geek

I'm still not clear on what PhotoBucket just did.

Is it Kidnapping...or simply Extortion.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #251
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'm still not clear on what PhotoBucket just did.

Is it Kidnapping...or simply Extortion.

they basically made it to where you have to be a paying customer to be able to use them as a host for your pictures..

i suppose reightfully so because everytine someone views a thread, their briwser hits Photobucket;s server and bandwidth to laod said picture..

photobucket places a lot of advertisements on their album site.. originally photobucket didnt do linking (way back when).. and were simply a place (before instagram and facebook ..) where you could upload pics form your digital camera to their site.. and you would give out the URL of your "bucket" to peoiple to come view your pictures..

of course the viewer saw all of the advertising content.. and advertisers gained 'clicks' to their sites as a result..

enter facebook, mysopace, instgram, tumblr, snapchat, etc.. people simply used Photobucket as a means to stuff pictures so they could link to them on forums... (photobucket likely had hoped that forum viewers in the past would also view a person's complete bucket throgh the photbucket site)..

reality is the only person seeing the ads was the account owner.. so PB is stuck pushing out megs and megs of data and not gaining any ad-clicks from it... this equals bad business...

so they raised their prices a LOT.. *AND* with SHORT WARNING... made it so no one's pictures would show up on forum posts unless they were paying members.. HIGH PAYING members... thats the uproar..

the forum owners have decided to disallow any posts to contain PB links even by paid members... I have a big issue with that... as i should have the CHOICE to use whoever I want.. if i pay for said service let me use it...

so let me tell you what will happen.. imgur is going to do the same thing.. they cant survive giving away free bandwidth forever either.. the lack of net neutrality is going to make this situation worse too.. as bandwidth providers can pick and choose the type of content they charge higher and lower rates for..

the only way free services function is when people buy stuff from all of the little ads we see (and hate).. analytics are real... as a software designer.. (in the telecom world)... information sells.. so that means an advertiser will want to see exactly how much $$ he is making from posting that little add on imgur, photobucket,facebook, etc... if that ad isnt gaining him profit.. he gonna cancel it...

many ad buyers cancel and either you go under or you raise your prices..
a price hike has an initial "i hate you" knee-jerk reaction... some of the knee jerk is going to be people rush out and buy paid subscriptions for $100 a year (no you dont need the $400 plan).. so their pics show up. .. others will just hate on them and say "cya".. and of course thousands of forum posts are now lost in many forums because the PB accounts were all but abaondoned.. in one of my jeep forums, a member who had over 2000 pics posted.. died 4 years ago... his PB account remained... and all of his informative posts are long gone.. there is really no way to access that account and even pay it...

so its a bold and gutsy move by PB that may have enough community disdain to finish off the company....

nevertheless.. if im not allowed to post PB links from my PAID account.. I'll cancel PB.. and all of my forum posts here will be lost.. because i damn sure dont have time to go back through and fix all my pictures...

sure i can switch to a new method for my new ones... and likely will.. or i could just quit posting 'How-to' style threads....

-Christopher
Old 07-18-2017, 06:56 AM   #252
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Well of course I'm not affiliated with and cannot speak for the forum ownership/management, but I'd view it a little more charitably.

A significant chunk of the forum's value was unfortunately built on the foundation of a 3rd party: photobucket. When PB decided to "take their ball and go home" by disabling images shared by free members, that significantly undermined the value of the skoolie.net site. It makes some sense that the skoolie.net ownership might say "hey, it was our mistake to allow this situation to grow as it did, but going forward we don't want any more of the value of our site depending on the good will of others."

Perhaps it's painting with an overly broad brush to disallow all new photobucket links. But maybe there isn't a reliable way for the forum to determine which PB links will work (paying PB member) and which won't (free PB member). Forum members who are free PB users could become frustrated "why aren't skoolie and PB compatible?" not realizing it's their free PB status that's at fault. And even if the PB member were paying at the time a link is entered, they could stop paying PB in the future -- those images would then break and that would undermine the value of skoolie.net too.

So no, I don't really like it. But I'm sympathetic to skoolie.net ownership perhaps feeling burned by PB and deciding to protect against pain in the future from what may well be a dying image hosting service.
How about "user beware"? There's no guarantee that ANY server is going to stay operational indefinitely. All any host has to do is migrate a server and all of the old links will be broken. If that happens to a post of yours,it sucks but suck it up buttercup, go move your photo somewhere else. Skoolie need not block them. At best they should post a warning in a sticky, "If you use the free version, PB won't allow hot linking.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:09 AM   #253
Bus Geek

bob - I AGREE.. freedom of choice..

MORE than once over the years i have had a FORUM that migrated their server to a new software or such.. and guess what all the pics that had been uploaded to said forum somehow got lost.. in that cases guess what.. those forums said "use a 3rd party hosting service.. dont upload to our servers.."..

so thats what I have done for years.. I hate broken forum linls like everyone does.. i dont know the best way to fix it... servers / bandwidth / software cost money.. it just does.. I build systems for a living... I spec servers and write software and audit installations.. its expensive...

-Christopher
Old 07-18-2017, 08:37 AM   #254
Bus Geek

I guess I must have missed the part where this forum "banned" any PB links. I agree with Chris, that is just making a bad situation worse. They will be punished enough for their slimy actions by those they screwed over. No need to further punish the "screwees".
Old 07-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #255
Bus Geek

Quote:
I guess I must have missed the part where this forum "banned" any PB links. I agree with Chris, that is just making a bad situation worse. They will be punished enough for their slimy actions by those they screwed over. No need to further punish the "screwees".

when you try and link a PB image now you get this...
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 10.05.45 AM.png  
Old 07-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #256
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
And now the forum will get more traffic/post's from people that repost things that have already been posted , because its lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

MORE than once over the years i have had a FORUM that migrated their server to a new software or such.. and guess what all the pics that had been uploaded to said forum somehow got lost.. in that cases guess what.. those forums said "use a 3rd party hosting service.. dont upload to our servers.."..

so thats what I have done for years.. I hate broken forum linls like everyone does.. i dont know the best way to fix it... servers / bandwidth / software cost money.. it just does.. I build systems for a living... I spec servers and write software and audit installations.. its expensive...

-Christopher
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #257
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

-Christopher
I use Flickr and have the pro account. $25 a year for unlimited storage. I've not had it ever crash and it isn't blocked by the govie's net nanny crap.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #258
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
And now the forum will get more traffic/post's from people that repost things that have already been posted , because its lost.
Or less traffic for being a bunch of censoring fascists.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #259
Bus Geek

94 degrees out with a dewpoint of 73 {starting to feel like houston}

and I decided that my A/C just wasnt cutting it.. oh it cools but sure didnt seem cold.. esp up in the front seat...

so I took it apart.. like everything I do.. if something doesnt work the way I want it to I take it apart to see whats up..

YUK is what I found... who designs stuff like this.. the cover of the A/C is the drain pan.. Ok thats alright.. but the air is SUCKED across the coil and then out the vents.. and theres no weather stripping on the case or on the unit itself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2060.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	14871

Name:	IMG_2061.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	14873

the coils are Nasty dirty. I dont think they ever cleaned them!

Name:	IMG_2064.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	14874

cleaning the coils the 100% correct way would be to take the unit out of the bus and to powerwash the coils.. t odo it insde the bus can be done too.. and thats what I did.

get your coil brushes out... and find the one thats the correct size for your coil fins...

Name:	IMG_2062.jpg
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	14875

Name:	IMG_2063.jpg
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	14876

when tyou use these.. dont jam them into the coil and pull down.. start at the top and lightly and partially lay the brush against the dirty part of the coil and pull down.. if the dirt is stuck, spray with soap and water to loosen it.. the trick here is once you start the dirt.. you then attempt with your gloved hand (bare fingers at own risk on sharp metal).. to roll the dirt up like a snowball.. and as much of it as you can at a time.. you dont want to push it into the fins.. I was able to get some large pieces off..

** NOTE - I accidentilly deleted the pics for the next parts off my phone.. GRR!! **

I then used an air hose to blow from the front and help push out any dirt that I pressed into the coils..

next I weather-stripped around the metal edges with a nice rubber (not foam) strip.. this way the fans suck air through the coils..

put it all back together and turned it on.. Much better!!

NEXT!!

I put the gauges on the freon lines and noted that the needles did a lot of jiggling.. which generally means liquid going through the lines.. there should never be liquid refrigerant close to the compressor.. and a little oil is normal but wont look like my needles did..

so I did a complete recover-pull-down and purged out 8 OUNCES!! of non condensables.. which included oil, Dye (lots of it) and apparently some other substance.. not sure but it stayed liquid.. even after all that I still have a good amount of oil going through the lines..

vacuumed it down and recharged with 7 lbs and 4 ounces of 134A (fresh - i have no idea if what I recovered was contaminated so I used new)..

Wooah!!! even on this hot day im staying cooler in the front driver seat than I have since I got the bus..

at this point I may not need a second unit in the dash.. i may just run a ceiling duct from the rear up to the front ..

#NoMoreSweat!

-Christopher
Old 07-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #260
Bus Geek

Those coils reminded me to ask you a question...

...are you running any kind of fluid cooler with your new Allie?