Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2017, 10:19 PM   #301
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
They won't charge me to make the change , I just have to get the box to them.
The pot could be an internal product. Meaning that it would be used in the software to adjust the max throttle voltage up or down. I'd leave the facing. Circuit alone. The user connects a scan tool and floors his pedal. Adjust the pot till the scan tool reads100%. Now you have your scale, and unlike a divider it works across all ranges of throttle now. I suppose be real fancy and have 2, one for minimum as well.
All the TPS I've seen are linear, the pedal is basically a pot.. I guess caterpillar used a throttle box that output PWM to the ECM.

The only box I may build would be a 1708 to analog throttle out for those times I'm running cruise. Sure I can tap up and down and it easy.. but I do have an automatic and not a stick for a reason.
Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:21 AM   #302
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
Totally agree Christopher. A .50 cent voltage divider pot would be so easy to add on the input circuit. Hey maybe there is one in their proprietary product. Charge 150.00 hr for 5 min adjustment. Go figure. Bet their units are not as custom as they want you to think. Any chance of warranty swap out and return? Or will you make an environment safe adjustment circuit?
Guys, don't get me wrong. I totally 150% agree with Chris but that isn't how it works. In the DoD world, there are all kinds of "enhancements" that are purposely left out of the designs. Those are next year's profits. Occasionally they stumble on them during the design phase but more often than not, they know about it ahead of time and leave them out. Oh a blue screen would be nicer on the eyes? Yeah we can fix that. A drop down menu? We might can do that for you. Cancel button on the other side of the Save button... sure. That'll be $234,504 for the Level Of Effort.

And not one of those would be hardware. Hardware is more Fit, Form, and Function. We have to change drawings, test the design, source the parts, test forward/backwards compatibility, etc. There's no such thing as a $5,000 hammer. It's all the paperwork that goes with the hammer that makes it $5,000. You guys just be sure you have your taxes paid up by April 15th.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #303
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Sure I can tap up and down and it easy.. but I do have an automatic and not a stick for a reason.
Christopher
Because lazy!! Wish my bus was a stick.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:45 AM   #304
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
You could go analog and make a circuit to adapt the voltage before it reached the A/D converters in the box. Or if you can open the box I would assume that there is a buffer circuit to protect the whatever processor is in there from voltage spike and to adjust the input voltages to the range the A/D converter wants to see.
That is better anyhow o you use the full span of the A/d converter.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:48 AM   #305
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
My Subaru's "fly by wire" throttle won't ever go more than 80%. Is that a motor vehicle industry thing?
Have I told you folks lately how horrible Subaru is? lol
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:01 AM   #306
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
May be it is a safety thing. I have seen A/D converters do strange things when they go over the span / range. But that was in the old days. Some 0-255 range converter jump back to 1 if you go over the range on the analog side.
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:26 AM   #307
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
This discussion simply reinforces my decision to go all mechanical wherever possible. No fly-by-wire. This old boy still prefers stick-and-rudder.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #308
Bus Geek

Hey Christopher --- quick question...does your new transmission rig have a driveline parking brake on the back of the Allison? I'm having fits finding the right cable bracket. Without a VIN, parts people are lost these days.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #309
Bus Geek

it does ands i had to make the bracket.. I had tried to find one for a GMC 6500 / 7500 truck from say 2008 or so.. but all were discontinued.. so i ended up modding the original bracket from the 545 as it would totallty fit my 1000 (I cant remember what page on this thread i did that on).. I ordered like 3 different ones and got the kiss of death on all.. I know IC bus made a BE series in like 04-07 (maybe longer) that had hydraulic brakes and a 1000 transmission.. that might be a route to go if we can find someone who doesnt require a VIN
-Christopher
Old 08-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #310
Bus Geek

Roger the Fab It. I spent hours at the local International Truck shop with no luck. The girl (who was an awesome service person) tried her best and found one that looked right on her computer but what they sent was totally wrong. Just wish I had SOMEthing to base a plan on. Do you have a pic of yours by any chance?

And does yours mount to the top or bottom of the trans? I have seen both, but my brake lever is on bottom.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:59 PM   #311
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Chris, the second TCM you bought to play with, how much did it cost?
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #312
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
What exactly do you need to do the dashboard tablet display you have,
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:22 PM   #313
Bus Geek

hadnt updated this thread for a bit... just a quick update on the bus itself.. ive been running the original TCM most.. and tuning on the other as I get a chance.. but in short the bus is running FANTASTIC!!

I just finished a Columbus - Knoxville - Macon - Orlando - Asheville NC - St pete - Columbus. .. yeah!!! lotsa miles!!! it was a mixture of work. and Workation.. (I never truly vacation.. I always work some..).. nevertheless the bus is running Fantabulous!!!

one of the places i went was a Vintage Christmas Convention in Asheville NC.. Yep its a convention completely devoted to those who collect and / or enjoy Pre-1978 Christmas decorations.. and it is one heck of a deiverse crowd from old to young.. and about every type of person imaginable.. retired to techies, to truck drivers, antiques dealers, you name it.. we take over a whole hotel.. decorate it for christmas.. (yes for real) and have CHristmas themed events.. tours of the city, Christmas parties, cookies, cakes, Music, and we learn about various aspects.. and people even buy / sell right from their hotel rooms.. The hotel even turned on their fireplace and set their main lobby / common area music to old christmas classics for us.. (their satellite system will do it even in summer..)...

I felt it fitting that the RedByrd take on a new Identity for the trip!.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2093.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	15269

cant travel to a Christmas convention without Tunes!! (yes im crazy)

Name:	IMG_2091.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	15270

Once I arrived at the convention hotel.. I learned they had me in a Vacation "villa". along with others nearby in their villas.. how cool is that.. and so glad I had packed these for the trip!

Name:	43F2E108-552A-428D-A4F2-8FEDA7D89739.jpg
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	15271

so i could turn my hotel room into this!

Name:	IMG_2101.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	15272

what better thing to do for Christmas in the mountains than to make some cookies!! yeah my Villa had a full kitchen!! Nice!!

Name:	IMG_2106.jpg
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	15273

so it was very awesome... you see as a child i was always known as "mister Christmas".. the kid who couldnt wait to string up the lights, trim the tree.. and put the christmas records on even before the ghosts and goblins had tried to trick me into trading my santa hat for a smelly rubber mask.. even up threough 2009 it was game-on for me at christmas.. I won the all central ohio lights contest in 2009... it was a pretty big deal with ohio being very christmas-popular..

then it happened i lost it.. I learned more and more and discovered more and more thoughts of my childhood molestation by family members, the flame I thought could never go out did.. putting up the lights suddenly became a chore.. in fact I sold and gave away all my equipment, lights and cords.. my house was dark for 2010 and 2011.. i sold my last hotrod project.. as some of you know I left the first school bus just sit in a garage untouched for many months at a time... my friends pretty much forced me to decorate in 2012.. so I called it experimental..bought new lights, software, and stuffed a few things in the yard and pretended... 2013, 2014 I spent christmas on south beach.. i told everyone i always wanted to try it.. but I just wanted it to go away... 2015 I tried.. I really did.. then I discovered the christmas convention in 2016 and i attended. in new york.. and it created a spark.. I thought for once perhaps i could like christmas again.. but could I? i wasnt sure.. i strung up a few lights but not many.. and once again I had a christmas party but the energy just wasnt there..

then I went to asheville.. and it was magical... "something happened in there" isnt the right words for it.. I met new people.. even ended up with an unplanned roomate (friend of a friend) in my hotel villa for the show.. he arrived with a smile.. and we hit it off and laughed like school kids as we drank cuban coffee and told tales of our daily finds in the sales rooms...

friends I hadnt seen since last year were friendly sights.. we went to italian restaraunts.. and even a coffee shop made out of a red double decker BUS!

Name:	IMG_2107.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	15274

groups of us toured the city of asheville in a purple Skoolie named LaZoom!

(I lost my pic so I grabbed one from the web!).

Name:	lazoom-bus.png
Size:	829.9 KB
ID:	15275

I got to spend some time with this Handsome guy on the left! for those who are into Christmas, he would be THE Christopher Radko! for those not into christmas.. well i dont know you

Name:	IMG_2118.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	15276

and yes!! we had Christmas Parties every night!!!

Name:	IMG_2115.jpg
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	15277

alas.. it HAS brought back that Christmas Magic which I thought was gone forever and ever.... I know now that Doris Day was Incorrect.....
"Once you Pass its borders.... you can never return again.." is Wrong.. for I have come back to "ToyLand" after having left its borders for a few...

-Christopher
Old 08-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #314
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
C Radko- very cool . Talk about a creative dude !

We are pretty big on Christmas around here, as well. My wife puts up 5 trees around the house and they go up day after Thanksgiving. My brother owned a Christmas lighting company...I'll have to forward video of his display. I imagine you've been to Bronner's and the olde Canterbury Village in Mich. My wife is from that area and insist we pilgrimage regularly.

It's wonderful you re-connected with the Season. Nobody should be allowed take that away from you. I think you may be a bit biased as the Holiday pretty much shares your name....
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #315
Bus Nut

Quote:
hadnt updated this thread for a bit... just a quick update on the bus itself.. ive been running the original TCM most.. and tuning on the other as I get a chance.. but in short the bus is running FANTASTIC!!

I just finished a Columbus - Knoxville - Macon - Orlando - Asheville NC - St pete - Columbus. .. yeah!!! lotsa miles!!! it was a mixture of work. and Workation.. (I never truly vacation.. I always work some..).. nevertheless the bus is running Fantabulous!!!

one of the places i went was a Vintage Christmas Convention in Asheville NC.. Yep its a convention completely devoted to those who collect and / or enjoy Pre-1978 Christmas decorations.. and it is one heck of a deiverse crowd from old to young.. and about every type of person imaginable.. retired to techies, to truck drivers, antiques dealers, you name it.. we take over a whole hotel.. decorate it for christmas.. (yes for real) and have CHristmas themed events.. tours of the city, Christmas parties, cookies, cakes, Music, and we learn about various aspects.. and people even buy / sell right from their hotel rooms.. The hotel even turned on their fireplace and set their main lobby / common area music to old christmas classics for us.. (their satellite system will do it even in summer..)...

I felt it fitting that the RedByrd take on a new Identity for the trip!.

Attachment 15269

cant travel to a Christmas convention without Tunes!! (yes im crazy)

Attachment 15270

Once I arrived at the convention hotel.. I learned they had me in a Vacation "villa". along with others nearby in their villas.. how cool is that.. and so glad I had packed these for the trip!

Attachment 15271

so i could turn my hotel room into this!

Attachment 15272

what better thing to do for Christmas in the mountains than to make some cookies!! yeah my Villa had a full kitchen!! Nice!!

Attachment 15273

so it was very awesome... you see as a child i was always known as "mister Christmas".. the kid who couldnt wait to string up the lights, trim the tree.. and put the christmas records on even before the ghosts and goblins had tried to trick me into trading my santa hat for a smelly rubber mask.. even up threough 2009 it was game-on for me at christmas.. I won the all central ohio lights contest in 2009... it was a pretty big deal with ohio being very christmas-popular..

then it happened i lost it.. I learned more and more and discovered more and more thoughts of my childhood molestation by family members, the flame I thought could never go out did.. putting up the lights suddenly became a chore.. in fact I sold and gave away all my equipment, lights and cords.. my house was dark for 2010 and 2011.. i sold my last hotrod project.. as some of you know I left the first school bus just sit in a garage untouched for many months at a time... my friends pretty much forced me to decorate in 2012.. so I called it experimental..bought new lights, software, and stuffed a few things in the yard and pretended... 2013, 2014 I spent christmas on south beach.. i told everyone i always wanted to try it.. but I just wanted it to go away... 2015 I tried.. I really did.. then I discovered the christmas convention in 2016 and i attended. in new york.. and it created a spark.. I thought for once perhaps i could like christmas again.. but could I? i wasnt sure.. i strung up a few lights but not many.. and once again I had a christmas party but the energy just wasnt there..

then I went to asheville.. and it was magical... "something happened in there" isnt the right words for it.. I met new people.. even ended up with an unplanned roomate (friend of a friend) in my hotel villa for the show.. he arrived with a smile.. and we hit it off and laughed like school kids as we drank cuban coffee and told tales of our daily finds in the sales rooms...

friends I hadnt seen since last year were friendly sights.. we went to italian restaraunts.. and even a coffee shop made out of a red double decker BUS!
Attachment 15274

groups of us toured the city of asheville in a purple Skoolie named LaZoom!

(I lost my pic so I grabbed one from the web!).
Attachment 15275

I got to spend some time with this Handsome guy on the left! for those who are into Christmas, he would be THE Christopher Radko! for those not into christmas.. well i dont know you

Attachment 15276

and yes!! we had Christmas Parties every night!!!

Attachment 15277

alas.. it HAS brought back that Christmas Magic which I thought was gone forever and ever.... I know now that Doris Day was Incorrect.....
"Once you Pass its borders.... you can never return again.." is Wrong.. for I have come back to "ToyLand" after having left its borders for a few...

-Christopher
Crank the tunes and eat them cookies. Party on

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:44 AM   #316
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
Crank the tunes and eat them cookies. Party on

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
oh we did!!

and then there was "After-Glow". the convention officially ends with the christmas party each nigjht.. but thats when the "Smart" egg nog comes out and the Grown-Up elf drinks . and we Ate more cookies!!

last year i think we consumed over 10,000. this year the rumor was we ate around 8500 cookies... thats a LOT of butter-sugar-eggs-flour to say the least.
-Christopher
Old 08-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #317
Bus Geek

Quote:
(yes im crazy)
I agree.

Asheville is quite artsy fartsy so i could see them having a better off season party. Good to hear you got your mo-jo back.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #318
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I agree.

Asheville is quite artsy fartsy so i could see them having a better off season party. Good to hear you got your mo-jo back.
Next year is cincinnati.. not sure how thats going to work there.. lol. I guess it is Bible belt???

-Christopher
Old 08-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #319
Bus Geek

Quote:
Next year is cincinnati.. not sure how thats going to work there.. lol. I guess it is Bible belt???

-Christopher
OH is. Not sure about Cinni.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #320
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
OH is. Not sure about Cinni.
Cinci is much more bible belt than Columbus. Columbus is progressive.. very diverse city..

-Christopher