Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamariSafari View Post
Great read. Created an account to say thanks for sharing your build in detail. We came up with a very similar floorplan, and it's nice to see it in action.

How are the golf cart batteries holding up to your demands?

Our two house batteries are holding up nicely but I have to admit we don't stress them much. At our family camp we run the lights a bit and sometimes the vent fan or the furnace but it's rare to see less than 60% charge when we get home. I give them a full charge at least once a month when it's parked over the winter and keep the water topped off. They're 6 years old now and I expect a few years more out of them.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #442
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Girardian Handicapped Commercial
Chassis: E-450
Engine: Ford 7.3L
Rated Cap: 9,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
It's been 4 months since I posted any Roachie related stuff so I'd better put something up before we scroll off into oblivion. Winter's been kicking our butts this year so nothing useful has been done, but I did get all my receipts together and now know how much this project has cost us. It's interesting to note that originally we had thought we could do the total conversion for about half what we ended up spending. What fools these mortals be. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
What a informative list. Thank you!!! I'll be starting mine soon. I'm guessing I'll be using this thread as my number 1 resource!
mc11237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #443
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Battery drawer rebuild

After our latest camping trip I noticed our frame mounted battery box had dropped down a bit and a quick look under the bus revealed a badly rusted frame mounting strut. After pulling the batteries I removed the battery tray and found that the drawer slides and brackets were also in bad shape. Out came the angle grinder to grind off the rusted bracket bolts and after pulling the drawer, brackets and the fiberglass housing I attacked what was left of the welded-in mounting strut. After an hour or so of grinding the old strut was gone and I had rust, dirt and grindings in my eyes, ears, pockets and even in my underwear. Such fun!

In the fullness of time new mounting strut was bolted in place and it was time to move on to the brackets and slides. I checked with three bus parts suppliers and none of them had replacement brackets/slides available so I ordered ordered two new 500lb. Knape & Vogt drawer slides and went off in search of someone who could bend me some 12 ga steel for new brackets. Several shops could bend lighter gauge steel but finding someone to bend the heavy gauge stuff proved to be a problem. In the end I bought some angle iron from the Homely Despot, ordered my 12ga sheet steel online and bolted the two together to make new brackets.

The finished brackets are all undercoated and ready to go. Not bad for a woodworker. Of course the new parts went back in easy as pie and should be good for another 20 years.

So now the job is done and Iím backing the bus into itís parking spot. I press the brake pedal and it drops to the floor. A brake line had ruptured. The adventure continues!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200808_155601.jpg (184.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20200820_221453.jpg (212.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20200820_221843.jpg (237.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20200824_161342.jpg (252.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20200821_171023.jpg (239.0 KB, 3 views)