Battery drawer rebuild
After our latest camping trip I noticed our frame mounted battery box had dropped down a bit and a quick look under the bus revealed a badly rusted frame mounting strut. After pulling the batteries I removed the battery tray and found that the drawer slides and brackets were also in bad shape. Out came the angle grinder to grind off the rusted bracket bolts and after pulling the drawer, brackets and the fiberglass housing I attacked what was left of the welded-in mounting strut. After an hour or so of grinding the old strut was gone and I had rust, dirt and grindings in my eyes, ears, pockets and even in my underwear. Such fun!
In the fullness of time new mounting strut was bolted in place and it was time to move on to the brackets and slides. I checked with three bus parts suppliers and none of them had replacement brackets/slides available so I ordered ordered two new 500lb. Knape & Vogt drawer slides and went off in search of someone who could bend me some 12 ga steel for new brackets. Several shops could bend lighter gauge steel but finding someone to bend the heavy gauge stuff proved to be a problem. In the end I bought some angle iron from the Homely Despot, ordered my 12ga sheet steel online and bolted the two together to make new brackets.
The finished brackets are all undercoated and ready to go. Not bad for a woodworker. Of course the new parts went back in easy as pie and should be good for another 20 years.
So now the job is done and Iím backing the bus into itís parking spot. I press the brake pedal and it drops to the floor. A brake line had ruptured. The adventure continues!