Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
The weboughtabus Bus Build (Name TBD)

My wife and I have been long-time lurkers, but we've finally gotten ourselves a bus! We managed to get a good deal on a wheelchair accessible bus right before the cold snap here, so the progress has been minimal, but we're looking to really make moves as the weather turns.

Our Bus:
5-Window 2004 Corbeil E350 SuperDuty, 6.0L V8 Bullet-proofed Diesel

Our Plans:
Complete gut (in progress)
Rust treatment/inhibiting
Rigid foam/ply subfloor
Spray foam walls and ceiling
Vinyl plank flooring
Nature's Head Composting Toilet
Custom wet bath
100 gallon fresh water tank
40 gallon grey water tank
Dual Fuel Generator
Pure Sine Inverter
Mini-Split Air Conditioning
New paint
Whatever else comes up!

Pictures and progress will be in subsequent posts!

weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Some pictures of the bus as it was purchased:
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   4.jpg   6.jpg   7.jpg  

8.jpg   9.jpg   11.jpg   3.jpg   5.jpg  

10.jpg  
Old 03-05-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
Bus Nut

So far we've been pretty lucky with the work we've done. There were no interlocks on the door alarms, Corbeil mostly used screws securing the interior panels, instead of rivets, we only had to cut three seat bolts to clear them all out. So far we've managed to get all of the seats out and start exposing the plywood subfloor.

Up next will be tackling the chair lift, removing the rad line heater (I plan to run the coolant through some toe kick heaters under our cabinets), dropping the AC skirt condenser and cutting out the Q-Straint track from the floor so we can get a peek underneath and get the new subfloor installed.

Here are some photos of the work so far:
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.png   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg   7.JPG  
Old 03-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Good lookin' rig!! I look forward to seeing your build. We are just about at the same phase in our build - although mine has many more rivets to deal with.
TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
Bus Nut

The photo doesn't show much, but it's progress! I've fully disassembled the chase behind the driver's seat that contained a bit of electric and the AC lines. Aside from that I've removed the floor heater and the wheelchair lift. The lift was being a pain, until I decided to cut the bolts. After that, it was a breeze. As a bonus, we now have a bus length's pair of welding cables that had previously supplied the lift. Hopefully I'll have more pictures and exciting progress to share soon!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180324_122342.jpg  
Old 03-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 466
Good luck with your build,,,,,
jonb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Another small development - after reaching out to the folks at Collins Bus Corporation (they bought Corbeil a few years back) I now have most of the electrical schematics for early 2000's Corbeil buses. If this information would be helpful to anyone else, please let me know.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:28 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I bet those schematics would be helpful to many folks on this forum. You may save yourself time by going ahead and posting them, so that they are here for them to refer too.
BTW I'm enjoying your posts.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
I bet those schematics would be helpful to many folks on this forum. You may save yourself time by going ahead and posting them, so that they are here for them to refer too.
BTW I'm enjoying your posts.
Thanks! And you're right- no sense making people jump through hoops to get something potentially useful!

Corbeil Electrical Schematic

Corbeil Multiplex Schematic
Old 03-26-2018, 07:11 PM   #10
Bus Nut

A little after-work progress! We were able to get up our first piece of plywood and received a beautiful surprise-ALUMINUM! We have an aluminum floor, so we'll just have to clean up the rust from the bolts that had been through for the seats and L-Track. Speaking of which, those bolts are all going to have to be cut off from down below. Hooray! More time on my back with the cut-off wheel! Aside from that, we've also completely removed the skirt A/C Condenser, so I'll be listing that in the Classifieds soon. Hopefully we have more good news and progress to report soon!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180326_190536.jpg   IMG_20180326_190545.jpg  
Old 03-26-2018, 07:47 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel
Nice. Awesome on the screws instead of rivets. That floor looks super clean.
vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #12
Bus Nut

As usual, life has been getting in the way, lately. Not much progress to report. I was hoping to get the L-Tracks all removed this weekend, but they're a bitch to cut off with just a corded drill and cutoff wheel and impossible to remove "properly." All of the Allen heads are either stripped or so full of gunk they're never going to come out and they used lock nuts down below, so either way I'm on my back to remove them. I tried the "Circular saw down the center of the track" trick to split the track and then lop the heads off from up above, but that was loud and I didn't have a good enough saw blade (do they even make a metal cutting circular saw blade?). After battling that nonsense for a while, I decided I would just get up the rest of the puke mat, so that's what my progress picture is.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180414_173714.jpg  
Old 05-01-2018, 08:06 AM   #13
Bus Nut

No progress on the demo/buildout to report. My last run at the L-Track was tedious, to say the least. Running a cutoff wheel on the drill certainly wasn't the best way to cut out 50-ish bolts while laying on my back. I'm thinking it might finally be time to pick myself up a cheap angle grinder. Once I get those bolts and L-Tracks out, I'll turn my attention to the ceiling and wall panels so we can get to the fun/pretty stuff.

I did pick up my RV stove/oven, though. I scored a great deal from a really cool guy who just renovated his RV. He had only used the stove a handful of times and decided to swap it out for a convection/microwave combo. For $50 and a bit of driving I walked away with a practically new Magic Chef 3-Burner, 22" stove. Fingers crossed that I have some real progress to report soon.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboughtabus View Post
No progress on the demo/buildout to report. My last run at the L-Track was tedious, to say the least. Running a cutoff wheel on the drill certainly wasn't the best way to cut out 50-ish bolts while laying on my back. I'm thinking it might finally be time to pick myself up a cheap angle grinder. Once I get those bolts and L-Tracks out, I'll turn my attention to the ceiling and wall panels so we can get to the fun/pretty stuff.

I did pick up my RV stove/oven, though. I scored a great deal from a really cool guy who just renovated his RV. He had only used the stove a handful of times and decided to swap it out for a convection/microwave combo. For $50 and a bit of driving I walked away with a practically new Magic Chef 3-Burner, 22" stove. Fingers crossed that I have some real progress to report soon.
I've had good luck with a $15 angle grinder from HF.
I like my old Hitachi but I dropped it off the roof of a bus and it busted to pieces.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've had good luck with a $15 angle grinder from HF.
I like my old Hitachi but I dropped it off the roof of a bus and it busted to pieces.
Ouch. It's always hard to see a good tool take a nosedive like that. I actually just got a mailer for my local HF and they've got their angle grinder for $10 right now. May have to take a drive down on my lunch break.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Ouch. It's always hard to see a good tool take a nosedive like that. I actually just got a mailer for my local HF and they've got their angle grinder for $10 right now. May have to take a drive down on my lunch break.
When Harbor Freight have weekend parking lot sales you can usually find the grinders for $5 with a coupon from the flyer. I always pick up a couple more when they are that cheap.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:58 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Buy two.

Put a cutting disk on one and a grinding disk on the other.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:33 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Buy two.

Put a cutting disk on one and a grinding disk on the other.
Yep.......
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC Savana
Seems like it's moving along well. Where did the bus come from and what did you pay? I'm in NH but have brothers in NJ who might be able to look at a bus for me. Any ideas for someone still looking?
Is there a way to know if a floor will be aluminum by model or year?
Looks like another build for me to watch!
keep up the good work.
MovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinOn View Post
Seems like it's moving along well. Where did the bus come from and what did you pay? I'm in NH but have brothers in NJ who might be able to look at a bus for me. Any ideas for someone still looking?
Is there a way to know if a floor will be aluminum by model or year?
Looks like another build for me to watch!
keep up the good work.
Thanks for the encouragement! We ended up getting ours from a gentleman who buys and sells buses, primarily on eBay. We got in touch with him on there, gave him an idea of what size and condition we were looking for and he let us know when he came across one. His eBay username is lightningman82 and his name is Bill. He was extremely helpful. I met up with him to view the bus, left a deposit and he delivered it (for a fee) a few days later. We paid $4,700 for the bus, if I recall correctly. Some people would say that's high, but we'll have a mostly uninterrupted floorplan, decent headroom and a bullet-proofed engine with low miles and the convenience of having it delivered to our doorstep.

As I understand it, Corbeil and Giardin used a lot of aluminum in their bus bodies. The easiest way to check, though, would be to bring a decent magnet and try to stick it to various parts of the bus. If you can get up under the bus, you should be able to see the sheet metal up over the frame rails and can check for magnetism.