Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #1

Thoughts on this find?

I have found a partially completed short bus conversion. 2000 with 156k miles. I climbed in, over and under.

Seats have been removed. There's a bed that flips to couch, some shelving, kitchen counter/cabinet with sink, partition for camping toilet. Original rubber flooring, no electric, solar or water.

There is a bit of rust around the rear wheel wells and some around the exhaust pipe (no holes or anything). Carfax report shows someone hit the left rear bumper but it is barely dented (i'm guessing whatever vehicle hit the bus was damaged way worse than the bus...) There is a small spot on the right rear side that was "bondo-ed" and looks cosmetic more than anything.

Engine looks good. Ran well. I drove it - good brakes and acceleration.

That being said... I am not mechanically inclined and am buying this solo. I am afraid of buying a lemon. Anything that would be a red flag that I might have missed? My gut says go for it.

Charris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charris View Post

That being said... I am not mechanically inclined and am buying this solo. I am afraid of buying a lemon. Anything that would be a red flag that I might have missed? My gut says go for it.
What make/model?

What trans/motor?

What state did it live in?

What do the tires look like- check rear inners. Tires are pricey. CheckDOT date codes- older than 7 and time to go shopping.

Did you get engine up to temperature?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:29 PM   #3

Its a Thomas. 7.3Liter Powerstroke from Washington, DC.

The tires all looked very good. They did have a flat a few months ago and replaced the tire and had it realigned.

We drove the bus for about 30 minutes, back roads and then on larger roads and up to speed. Having never driven a school bus, I didn't know what to expect. It wasn't as daunting as I thought!
Old 10-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Its a Thomas. 7.3Liter Powerstroke from Washington, DC.

The tires all looked very good. They did have a flat a few months ago and replaced the tire and had it realigned.

We drove the bus for about 30 minutes, back roads and then on larger roads and up to speed. Having never driven a school bus, I didn't know what to expect. It wasn't as daunting as I thought!
I bet you felt ALIVE while driving the bus !!

I was never impressed with DC offerings, seemed neglected. I'm sure you know, 7.3 turbo is a respected motor.

As long as the rust isn't terrible. Rear wheel wells showing on the outside means it's rusting from within. I'd hate to see you pour time and effort into something that will disappoint. Show us pics of rust, if you can.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:43 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback. It was fun to drive! I've never "driven" an elephant but I imagine it would feel like driving a bus!

For some reason I can't get pictures of wheel wells to upload. What do you mean wheel wells would be rusting from within?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2017, 07:49 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. It was fun to drive! I've never "driven" an elephant but I imagine it would feel like driving a bus!

For some reason I can't get pictures of wheel wells to upload. What do you mean wheel wells would be rusting from within?

Thanks
You need more than 5 posts. Otherwise your pics are withheld for moderators to make sure you're not a spammer.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
Bus Nut

[QUOTE=Charris;227476]Its a Thomas. 7.3Liter Powerstroke from Washington, DC.

We drove the bus for about 30 minutes, back roads and then on larger roads and up to speed. Having never driven a school bus, I didn't know what to expect. It wasn't as daunting as I thought![/QUOTE

A lot of fun. Just a big ole truck. I hope other newbies read this.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:

Thanks
Rust starts where water collects. It doesn't collect on the skin of a bus, or the body of a car. It collects inside, between the panels or their coverings.

So by the time you see paint bubbling, or rust breaking through, the steel is in a very poor state behind it and the rust could be extensive ... hidden by the floor covering, etc.

Rust is an iceberg, and you only see the tip from the outside.

It's not unusual to press a paint bubble and have your thumb go right through the panel.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You need more than 5 posts. Otherwise your pics are withheld for moderators to make sure you're not a spammer.
Nothing in the que?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:12 PM   #10
Bus Geek

does this work here? @EastCoastCB

works on other boards...I reckon I should now this hugh

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote