Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2024, 08:25 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward - Volunteer
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466, Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 8 Window
To keep or not to keep, A/C

So I'm an addict and one wasn't enough so my son bought this one. He wants to convert his while I convert mine, to save on material. I know he thinks I'll end up eating some of his cost, lol. Anyways, picked it it up and thought I'd check out the rear air while driving down the road. 5 seconds later I'm freezing and 15 seconds later I shut it off. Thing is meant for the Sahara!

My son thinks keeping it is a good option since it works and I'm against it since it's a massive dc load. I'm looking for info from both sides as to keeping it or not.

His build is tiny home, not nomadic, so it'll be lived in and parked more than moved
Attached Thumbnails
20240524_093853.jpg  

Miloshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 12:16 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miloshk View Post
So I'm an addict and one wasn't enough so my son bought this one. He wants to convert his while I convert mine, to save on material. I know he thinks I'll end up eating some of his cost, lol. Anyways, picked it it up and thought I'd check out the rear air while driving down the road. 5 seconds later I'm freezing and 15 seconds later I shut it off. Thing is meant for the Sahara!

My son thinks keeping it is a good option since it works and I'm against it since it's a massive dc load. I'm looking for info from both sides as to keeping it or not.

His build is tiny home, not nomadic, so it'll be lived in and parked more than moved

totally the wrong kind of bus to make a tiny home out of.. lots of wasted space.. and if its not going to be driven it will soon become undriveable...

I urge anyone who plans to tiny home but thinks they can just drive away after a couple years to build on a trailer not a bus..

as for the A/C chsances are its a tie-in system where you must keep the rear or do mods (mount a radiator condenser) to keep the front and delete the rear..

if you like sweating then delete the air otherwise its worthwhile thing to have..

the DC load is just the fans, the compressor is engine driven.. the DC load is only while driving , its a non issue
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 06:49 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
totally the wrong kind of bus to make a tiny home out of.. lots of wasted space.. and if its not going to be driven it will soon become undriveable...
I agree in general. A vehicle is meant to be driven. That said I'm curious what you mean about wasted space. Other than the drivers seat it's an empty shell.

Thanks for the info on the cooler.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:09 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
with a van bus you cant really incorporate your drivers area into your build.. with a standard conventional or transit style, the same ceiling height and floor lvel mean you can incorporate the front part of your bus into your living space.. you can have driver and passenger seat that swivels around.. the windshields can be extra panoramic view (that you can curtain off as well)... .. the underdash areas can often be leveraged for extra storage (vs a van where thats all wasted)

I see van based busses as great weekend warriors and great for those who are on the road alot and wantto be able to have it serviced at a standard light truck dealer. (chevy, ford, ram)...

the smaller tires can become an issue if its going to end up parked off road as they will singk and not be as easy to get out..

for something thats going to be parked as a home and not driven then to me a tiny home build on a trailer base makes the most sense.. something you could hire and have hauled in 2 years when it needs to move again.. leaving a bus sit for a couple years means its more than likely going to need work before its roadworthy again..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 01:07 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I urge anyone who plans to tiny home but thinks they can just drive away after a couple years to build on a trailer not a bus..
Thanks cadillackid

I had my son jump on and peruse the forum and consider what you said while looking at all the mechanical issues people have over the years. He deiced against a bus. He really isn't looking to travel and a trailer or even a tiny site built makes more sense for him.

That said now I have to let go of a beautiful Bus, LOL. He figures he'll finish pulling the only seat and the handicap lift, patch where the stop arm was and let it go.