Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

ultimate ski bum machine- soon to be for sale!

hi everyone

as this website has been so helpful to me i thought id make a post about my bus and the adventures getting where it is today. i am from new zealand and have a few months between jobs so decided to spend this time as a professional ski bum.. however i went about this in a slightly different way to normal.. about 3 weeks ago me and a friend landed in new york and bought a bus.. its a 2000 ford e450 shuttle bus, 7.3 diesel with 130000 miles. when we picked it up nothing had been done to it, still had seats and all. since then we have driven to maine where it was registered, then almost all the way across north america to revelstoke, B.C Canada, where i now spend all my time snowboarding on the way we stayed mostly in home depot carparks working on the bus, and picked up many things from craigslist. the bus is now at the point where i am very happy living in it, i do not intend to do much more to it, nothing has been painted etc but everything is built and very well insulated. i have installed a second floor with insulation in between and there is still well over 6' of head height, there is a double(full) sized mattress on a platform in the back and i have built another single bed towards the front. there is a bench, icebox fridge and 3 burner cooker. all windows have hinged shutters with insulation attached. the best thing about the bus and the part which gets all the comments is a wood burner i have installed, it has been done properly with triple wall chimney, plenty of clearance from anything and cement board all round. i have a whole lot of pictures i want to put up but cannot work out how! can someone please explain?

i will be leaving revelstoke late jan/early feb. if anyone is interested in buying her please let me know.. only asking $2000 as i need it sold before i head back to nz. i have invested ALOT more than this in the bus. makes a great self sufficient winter vehicle. does have a few problems:

- rust, i have coverered the worst patches with sheet metal, not pretty but isnt a problem if you dont care like me!
- glow plugs/batteries may need looking at. have started her at -36c, but only if plugged in!
- front heater fan doesnt go, may be an easy fix but i've found just airflow at highway speeds defrosts it fine.

adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Re: ultimate ski bum machine- soon to be for sale!

Way cool! Glad you made it.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

pics, hopefully! window shutters on drivers side have since been finished. pics are from all different stages of build will post some finished ones soon.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

I want your mirrors! If not, can you give me the brand of the body--or maybe if there is any company info on the mirrors?

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Glad you made it! We hadn't heard from you since you left NZ. Good luck with the rest of the trip and the resale!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
I want your mirrors! If not, can you give me the brand of the body--or maybe if there is any company info on the mirrors?
They look like Velvacs to me. From experience: not worth it. Your old-style West-Coast mirrors are better.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

hey everyone

getting close to time to sell her current condition is as in first couple of pics with all my gear drying but i have finshed the shutter on the drivers side. has rv plates! also now has 4 wheels on the back.. need to get myself from canada to LA somehow during feb so delivery to somewhere reasonably on the way could be negotiated. late model low milage!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #8

how much are you wanting for the bus?
wesw0000 is offline   Reply With Quote