Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

What type of hardware do you use?

Hello all!
It may seem like a very basic, common sense question to some, but what hardware do you use to attach things to the walls or ceiling of your buses?
I mean, I don't really know how thick the walls are or what is behind them so I don't know what is best to use. I am planning on hanging up wood, likely cedar planks, on the interior walls and ceiling. Likely to hang up cabinets and the like as well.
thanks!

LtBattleBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
I reuse the screws I pulled out for anything that will be reattached to the body and ribs. Stick with steel, NOT stainless steel. Stainless steel, while providng great corrosion resistance, is a weak steel. I spent over $100 on stainless hardware only to shear 75% of them in half. For bolts, I'd go with what was originally there, usually grade 8 and sometimes grade 5 in certain areas. Grade 8 is super strong but brittle, not like glass but would rather break than flex some. Grade 5 will allow more flex.

I will be using stainless hardware for putting together items within the bus, like cabinets, hinges, etc., where the torque isn't going to be so high.

When it comes to rivets, personally I'd say DON'T. Unless you have an aircraft grade rivet and riveter, then you're just making avenues for water to enter. I will be using the center-post type rivets on select items within the bus, but not for anything attached to it.

Of course, you'll want to coat, inside and out, anything that penetrates the body, including the floor. I use 3M VHB tape, lots of primer, caulk and rubber coat such as plastidip and underbody coating.

I'm no structural engineer or anything, just learning as I go and already want to change things I've done that I really can't undo at this point.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
plasti dip is probably the one worst coating to use on anything that you want a good, lasting finish on.
I have a ton of experience with the stuff, and have bought gallons upon gallons for various projects... and its great for trying a new color for a week but it has zero lasting ability.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:32 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
plasti dip is probably the one worst coating to use on anything that you want a good, lasting finish on.
I have a ton of experience with the stuff, and have bought gallons upon gallons for various projects... and its great for trying a new color for a week but it has zero lasting ability.
I agree, I used to share a warehouse with a couple of guys who did plasti-dip coating professionally. They would re-do their trucks about once a month because it started looking pretty rough and started chipping and peeling in short order...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I have been using self-drilling self tapping screws for installing the few items so far (speaker boxes, tv mount, inverter mount). I get #10-16 screws about an inch long and they make quick work of mounting things to the walls/ceiling and won't go through the outer skin. I'll probably use them for when I install cabinets as well, as far as mounting the cabinet brackets to the actual sheet metal (preferably close if not directly into a rib).
Davoarts is offline   Reply With Quote