Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Wayne/Lifeguard
Chassis: International
Engine: 345 c.i. International
Send a message via Yahoo to SkoolieDude
What you get when an F-16 crashes on a Bus..

Hi everyone, long time appreaciator of skoolie conversions, here is my sloooow going project ( right now its not even in the same state as me ) and my other computer with all my pics is down right now, but here are the couple i could find.
Its a Wayne/lifeguard body on an IHC chassis, 345ci gas burner with a 4 speed manual. I came across a bullet resistant fighter jet cockpit canopy, 3/4 inch thick plexiglas (yeah, its heavy) and basically built my conversion around it. I tore out all the interior sheet metal, exposing the rib cage and the paltry factory insulation, cut out a large section of roof, built up a new roof frame incorporating the canopy into it, and covered it all with 22 gauge sheet metal. Feel free to leave your comments or questions..

1985 22' Wayne/lifeguard body, IHC chassis, 345ci, 4 speed
1985 Ford Ranger 4x4, 2.3l I-4 turbo diesel, 5 speed
1975 Mercedes 240D, I-4 non turbo diesel, 4 speed
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo, I-5
...And counting...
SkoolieDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: What you get when an F-16 crashes on a Bus..

I was dreaming (day) about this the other day for my yet to be started project. Do you have any pictures from the inside? I was thinking along the lines of an observatory and DRY location to get some crazy lighting shots. It is clear?
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Unfortunately my other computer with all my pics is down right now, i havent had a chance to try and recover the data. So to answer your question, no i dont have any more shots right now It is indeed clear, albeit dirty and with some minor scratches. It was a fun project and a great concept, but because of the extreme curvature of the plexi it distorts the view a bit. If I were going to do something the likes of what you describe, what i would do would be to use clear, FLAT pieces of glass and make my own observation station, much like the school bus "Grace" on Mr. Sharkey's page. (I hope its alright if i include a link to this particular example) http://mrsharkey.com/busbarn/grace/grace.htm

....Or.... if you really wanna get custom, I'd try to get my hands on one of these side windows...

...And counting...
Old 12-29-2008, 11:54 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks.. it was a crazy fluke.. this older quirky woman i worked with had some odd things at her house, and i forget how she said she came by the canopy, but she was using it as a sort of dog house, where the taller open end went up to the dog door into the house, and the other end went off of a step, so it was kind of like a doggie greenhouse shelter.. and she agreed that i had a much better use for it!

...And counting...