Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2021, 09:49 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
What's Up With This Floor Hump?

Hey all!

I have a question that I KNOW I've seen an answer to on here (when I wasn't looking of course), but I can't find it now.

There is a hump in my floor that I swear has gotten humpier in the 3 years I've had the bus. Looking from the top, you. might assume it's over the axle but it isn't. It is just behind the rear fuel tank, above one of the cross pieces of the frame. I remember reading something about rubber dampers that sit between the chassis and the floor frame having something to do with this phenomenon, so I took a look. One of mine is pretty squashed down, and the other is missing. But i've been trying to wrap my brain around how this could cause the hump. Wouldn't it be more likely to cause a sag?

Has anyone successfully replaced these rubber pieces? If so, where did you get them? Are they standard from one bus to another? My bus is not a common one. Thanks for any help you can give me.

firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:53 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Can you post some pictures?
Old 02-14-2021, 11:07 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Can you post some pictures?
Right now I only have pictures from the side door that show there's a hump but I will get under and take some shots of the underneath and post them tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:13 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
You may have a situation similar to what I had in my bus. The crossmembers of my floor have little rubber pads about 3/4" thick between them and the chassis rails. Some of these were positioned slightly off of the centerline; when these crossmembers were un-rusted and healthy it was no problem, but as they rusted and weakened this caused the crossmembers to twist slightly, which raised the flat part on one side and lowered the flat part on the other, producing a sort of hump in the floor above.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:37 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
The hump isn't from your fuel tank filler tube being squashed is it?

I know some shorties had that issue with failing floor ribs and rubber dampers causing the floor to drop in relation to the frame. This caused the filler tube that once had clearance to be squashed by the floor and frame, causing the floor to "hump" upwards so slightly.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:06 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
The hump isn't from your fuel tank filler tube being squashed is it?

I know some shorties had that issue with failing floor ribs and rubber dampers causing the floor to drop in relation to the frame. This caused the filler tube that once had clearance to be squashed by the floor and frame, causing the floor to "hump" upwards so slightly.
That could be, but it didn't look squished offhand (I didn't look specifically for that though) and the floor looks totally flat except above the rear of the fuel tank, where the metal brackets hold it on. It almost looks as if the tank is overtightened, like it was put back on wrong when after it was dropped at the mechanic shop. Unfortunately a really dumb operator error has left me without photos (though I have some nice ones of the floor) but I will try to get one tomorrow. I'm doing some work on it at a location about an hour away (the only place I could find where I fit inside) so I won't be able to shoot anything until Thursday when I go back.