Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2019, 10:31 PM   #61
Almost There

Propane and propane accessories

Look at my video on YouTube I have a 6 window as well I keep 1 under the Day bed routed down and out to the outdoor shower and 1 for the stove by the bed don’t think twice about them.... just turn them off it’s called school bus converted to adventure camper

Lherrlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:19 AM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by farok View Post
That's why -- as much as I would prefer 20lb tanks -- I'm looking hard at the little 5lb tanks. They're about 12" tall instead of the 18" of a standard BBQ cylinder. They're also 8" diameter instead of 12". Unfortunately they run out much quicker as well...
Found this thread while trying to search a good place to install a 20lb tank on a f350 shortbus since they are cheap and can be swapped. But love the idea of the 5 lb!.
And a mount that is built exactly for it will be safer then 99% of trying to make your own.

The ecotamp l5 goes about 3hrs on 1lb
Planning on 40gal water tank so 40min of water max to warm.
Coleman stove should go about 5 days on 1lb( 3 meals) some say 8days I'm playing safe.

Mr buddy heater 6hr per 1lb(even though i want a diesel heater)

Will run out if water before propane on a trip. And if the cold is a big issue, will buy under $200 a diesel heater. Sounds like they work great and no heater devices is taking up precious space in the living area just a small vent or 2.
Bpjr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #63
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpjr07 View Post
Found this thread while trying to search a good place to install a 20lb tank on a f350 shortbus since they are cheap and can be swapped. But love the idea of the 5 lb!.
And a mount that is built exactly for it will be safer then 99% of trying to make your own.
I actually ended up getting the 5LB and the mount, and within the next few weeks I'm going to make a "vault" for it. When I do, I'll make a video about it, because I seem to have become obsessed with making videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpjr07 View Post
Will run out if water before propane on a trip. And if the cold is a big issue, will buy under $200 a diesel heater. Sounds like they work great and no heater devices is taking up precious space in the living area just a small vent or 2.
Speaking of videos, here is my video about my diesel heater! It was so worth the money - I paid maybe $120.

firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #64
Mini-Skoolie

Nice! Thanks for the videos will sure look into it building my bus!
Old 05-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Rated Cap: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
OK, I just came across this:

ANSI A119.2/NFPA 1192 STANDARD ON RECREATIONAL VEHICLES (1999 Edition)

2-2.3 Location of LP-Gas Containers. LP-Gas containers shall be in accordance with the following:

(a) LP-Gas containers shall not be installed nor shall provisions be made for installing or storing any LP-Gas containers, even temporarily, inside any recreational vehicle. Containers shall not be mounted on the exterior of the rear wall or the rear bumper of the vehicle.

So.... no mounting them to the back.... at all? That seems weird. Where else are you gonna put them, if you can't put them inside and the whole rear wall is off limits? Makes no sense whatsoever to mount them on the side, that seems even more unsafe. I understand why no bumper, but nowhere on the back wall??

There would be no way to mount a standard tank underneath my bus, it would have to be a horizontal and those are expensive. I'm not even sure there would be room horizontally.
Pretty sure that's just an industry regulation for the construction of RVs - it's not a legal requirement.

I built a sealed box and vented it to the outside. My bus is a shortie and there really isn't enough ground clearance to mount anything underneath.
bfuller181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #66
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfuller181 View Post
Pretty sure that's just an industry regulation for the construction of RVs - it's not a legal requirement.

I build a sealed box and vented it to the outside. My bus is a shortie and there really isn't enough ground clearance to mount anything underneath.
I've seen enough monster tanks on the rear of food trucks to suspect there is variance in how closely it's followed. However in the unlikely event there is a wreck and the propane ignites, I wonder how the insurance company would view it?
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Rated Cap: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdconfsd View Post
I've seen enough monster tanks on the rear of food trucks to suspect there is variance in how closely it's followed. However in the unlikely event there is a wreck and the propane ignites, I wonder how the insurance company would view it?
Judging by how many people lie to insurance companies about the fact that they're driving school buses, the policy's going to be voided well before the propane is even noticed :P
bfuller181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
I couldn't decide what to do with my propane either on my short bus, so I made my own locker. It is much more robust than a riveted together locker in an RV. I made the bottom open with only expanded metal so if there are any leaks it escapes out the bottom. The top portion is inside the bus but the locker itself was all built, welded and seam sealed before I installed and welded it in place. After in place I seam sealed again around the inside portion of the bus. It took up some valuable space inside (basically where the floor is raised up about 9"), but it was worth it to create a safe space for two grill bottles. Check out my short bus build for more pics... I'll include one pic showing my new stainless baggage door latch I just installed to hold the door open. The inside pic shows the raised portion behind the wheel well.
Attached Thumbnails
20190509_200339.jpg   20190505_155257.jpg  
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:17 PM   #69
Site Team

I like that locker! Looks like a great option.
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #70
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9/AT
Rated Cap: 2 adults, 2 dogs
I see these Westfalia takes for sale pretty regularly.
https://tucson.craigslist.org/pts/d/...884367277.html
AZHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:41 PM   #71
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
The only gas option I had, back in my split-screen MicroBus days, was the unfortunate aftermath of a good Mexican meal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHippie View Post
Nice to have an LPG tank that's so narrow, but with only a 3 gallon capacity it's woefully inadequate for any concerted boondocking endeavor.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #72
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Nice looking tank, too small though. 15lbs doesn't last long.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #73
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHippie View Post
Nice do those expire?

I think I may have to copy frochevy really nice setup might do the same and have one cheap switchable 5 gallon tank. And use the other room in the box for firewood, small grill ect...