Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Bluebird Chevrolet short bus
Chassis: Chevrolet 3500
Engine: 6.0 Gas hog
Rated Cap: As many as could fit
Question Why no trailer ??

Just wondering, I have a Chev Blue-bird mini bus with a 454 gas hog power plant that I plan to pull a 8 X 12 enclosed trailer. this trailer will carry my complete rest room facilities and a garage to house "Suzy" my road bike and a few tools. I see on this forum very few if any trailer conversions like this and was wondering why. Seems to me a logical solution to the space issue is running a short bus conversion. comments?

Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:49 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Typical skoolie automatic transmissions are not designed to tow much more than perhaps 2,000 lb at the most beyond the primary vehicle's original curb weight. The GVWR is what the transmission, brakes, engine and suspension can all safely handle. And the transmission is usually the weak link.

Weigh your rig on a CAT scale and compare that weight against the GVWR of the vehicle..
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Typical skoolie automatic transmissions are not designed to tow much more than perhaps 2,000 lb at the most beyond the primary vehicle's original curb weight. The GVWR is what the transmission, brakes, engine and suspension can all safely handle. And the transmission is usually the weak link.

Weigh your rig on a CAT scale and compare that weight against the GVWR of the vehicle..
I understand that part and it makes perfect sense, however, Since the bus is rated at a 32 person capacity per say 100 lbs each, that would, or should cover the extra weight of the trailer providing you have added a towing cooling package to the mix. not ??
Old 11-11-2020, 09:00 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
You'd be surprised how much weight a conversion adds. Usually about 2000-4000 lbs, depending. Which pretty much eats up the breathing room you had. The only way to know for sure is to weigh your rig after conversion with a full tank of fuel and any water tanks full, then compared to the GVWR to see how much differential there is. I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just a much narrower window after conversion than you might think.

Also, consider that the passenger rating is based on the average size / weight of a child, not a full grown adult. So I think 100 pounds per is probably reaching a bit.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:09 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
You'd be surprised how much weight a conversion adds. Usually about 2000-4000 lbs, depending. Which pretty much eats up the breathing room you had. The only way to know for sure is to weigh your rig after conversion with a full tank of fuel and any water tanks full, then compared to the GVWR to see how much differential there is. I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just a much narrower window after conversion than you might think.
agreed, You make a valid point I really didn't think about. I will do the scale routine and see what we run into. Since I require only the basics, I think it will work out on a weight distribution. Being familiar with Blue-birds, and GM chassis, I'm confident I can come up with a workable solution. I remember the weight equation that gives me the extra capacity not listed on the GVWR of the unit. Thanx for the reminder !!
Old 11-11-2020, 09:56 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Because towing a trailer is so "RVish" and you want to be Truely Skoolie right?
A long bus like a motorhome has huge rear overhang and is not great for towing, but people still tow with them, cars in particular.
A short bus generally not any worse than a truck or van on overhang. A smallish trailer is a great idea in my opinion. I'd like to see a way to connect them together when parked, that would be ideal, somewhat like a bendy bus or train, you can walk between 'cars'
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enclosed trailer