Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 04:09 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Chevy G3500
Engine: 5.7 Gas
Your Suggestions Welcome

So now the fun begins. Made it home yesterday. On the trip I noticed a couple of things I would like to address ASAP.
1. I need ideas on removing the hardware for the passenger door. I don't mind getting up to open and close it.
2. Trailer hitch? Will a van hitch work?

Flhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flhermit View Post
So now the fun begins. Made it home yesterday. On the trip I noticed a couple of things I would like to address ASAP.
1. I need ideas on removing the hardware for the passenger door. I don't mind getting up to open and close it.
2. Trailer hitch? Will a van hitch work?
Are you talking about the door mechanism, or the door itself, or both?
Some pictures would be helpful.

I removed both, but will modify the door and put it back on later.

My door is two separate door pieces connected at the top that open outward, not a bifold door like on some other buses.
My door opening mechanism was bolted onto the dash in a few places, and onto the door, so I just unbolted what I could and cut off what I couldn't with an angle grinder. A couple bolt holes lead into the engine area, so I'll be sealing them up. I can't weld them because there's some sort of insulation lining the engine area.
As for the connection between the two separate door pieces, there was a space above the door frame for that behind a cover. I had to cut the connections apart with an angle grinder. It was made out of cold roll.
Door removal was just removing the screws that held the hinges to the door frame.

The type of hitch you would need depends on what you plan to pull or insert into it. 2" seem to be the most common size. I'll be making and my own hitch and mounting parts, but these sites might help you out:

Hitch Buying Guide | Find The Best Trailer Hitch For Your Car, Truck, or SUV
https://www.hitchweb.com/blog/post/2...itch-do-i-need
Old 04-02-2017, 06:05 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Chevy G3500
Engine: 5.7 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysdrivethrudude View Post
Are you talking about the door mechanism, or the door itself, or both?
Some pictures would be helpful.

I removed both, but will modify the door and put it back on later.

My door is two separate door pieces connected at the top that open outward, not a bifold door like on some other buses.
My door opening mechanism was bolted onto the dash in a few places, and onto the door, so I just unbolted what I could and cut off what I couldn't with an angle grinder. A couple bolt holes lead into the engine area, so I'll be sealing them up. I can't weld them because there's some sort of insulation lining the engine area.
As for the connection between the two separate door pieces, there was a space above the door frame for that behind a cover. I had to cut the connections apart with an angle grinder. It was made out of cold roll.
Door removal was just removing the screws that held the hinges to the door frame.

The type of hitch you would need depends on what you plan to pull or insert into it. 2" seem to be the most common size. I'll be making and my own hitch and mounting parts, but these sites might help you out:

Hitch Buying Guide | Find The Best Trailer Hitch For Your Car, Truck, or SUV
https://www.hitchweb.com/blog/post/2...itch-do-i-need
I'm not sure on end results for the door but for now I just took off all the hardware and use a bungee to hold it closed.
I also have a G2500 so I'm going to check the frames to see if I can put a junk yard hitch on it.

I just started this project yesterday and at this point am looking for ideas.
Pictures comming
Flhermit is offline   Reply With Quote