Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2008, 12:44 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40
Re: 05 H3 Hummer that gets 60MPG on WVO?

Yeah like accurate financial statements from the Bozos at the top of the big three.

recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #22
Bus Geek

anybody read about vw's 1 liter car? It's a car that can travel 100 km on 1 liter of fuel...which works out to 235 MPG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_1-litre_car
Old 12-15-2008, 05:01 PM   #23
Almost There

Year: 92
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
NPR did a story on a European vw that gets 80 mpg that cannot be sold in the US because it doesn't meet emissions.
How could a car that gets 80 mpg and not meet emissions? That makes no since, when the car uses so little fuel. Even if it didn't pass for some reason, I'm sure there's a small change that could be made to make it pass... if they really wanted it to.
this should be changing now that we have the ultra low sulfur diesel and they are adding cats but yes in NY, and I assume at least california and a few other states, for many years it was impossible for anyone to sell a new diesel under 8600 lbs gross because it wouldn't meet emissions, you could bring them in used from other states, for the last 4 years I was driving a 5 sp vw jetta diesel from 1985 that usually averaged 50 mpg, been grateful I found that car when I did during the fuel price climbs of the last few yrs
bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #24
Skoolie

The vw engine is only available in the european nations as of any time soon. Not supposed to be here for four more years. But it is awesome that they are there at least. Europe is the first place all efficient things come to be somewhat mainstream. Its a pity but our reputation goes far and wide. Course you could probably import one yourself but between the exchange rates and the cost of transport it would probably not seem feasible.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #25
Skoolie

Also as for emissions........our standards are ridiculously underpar.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1959
Coachwork: superior
Chassis: international
Engine: 468 c.i. BBchevy
Rated Cap: 66

I haven't cared what the european nations think about the U.S.A. since 1776.
Navistate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #27
Almost There

Year: 92
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navistate
I haven't cared what the european nations think about the U.S.A. since 1776.

Amen
bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #28
Skoolie

man you must be old to have been around in 1776. And I'm pretty sure at that time people were only concerned with what England thought of us and Until july 4th 1776 there was no U.S.A. And europe was not considered european in the form of a unified bunch of nations at that time. Maybe we should be inspiring the world with our higher standards of living so that we can continue to propose ourselves to be the worlds greatest country if that is what we are. As for "amen" arent we mixing church and state while talking politics. Fairly unconstitutional. Need we go into a history lesson where history shall again repeat itself and not relearn what we should have already learned. The vehicle in question is not available because the other countries (not just the current europe!) have a more progressive demand for responsible carbon fuel technology than our latency demands. Big three bailout is an example of our refusal to move with the times that are here now and will come in the not so far away future.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:09 AM   #29
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycler
As for "amen" arent we mixing church and state while talking politics. Fairly unconstitutional.
Huh?

The words "mixing church and state" are nowhere to be found in the constitution. The wording of the first amendment is as follows:

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
We're allowed to mix politics and religion all we want... The constitution only says that our GOVERNMENT can't.

Amen!

-Ray
Old 12-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #30
Skoolie

Thanks for clearing that up for me however, I did not say it was in the constitution. I was merely referring to the usage. Ettiquette should dictate that whilst having politically minded conversation we don't bring religion into the mix. Unless the topic of choice is concerning the redress of grievances on a religious field. No offense intended. Just thought I'd bring us back to the objective. I think it was why an efficient car is not to be as available to our citizens as it is to people who, lets say live on another continent. I understand why personally, even though it is deemed unfair to those that would desire this particular cars purchase. Besides, regardless of where you live we are all in this together for the long run. Maybe we can have some conversation next time I'm skooling it through washington. And if your ever rolling through colorado my door is open for the same. That also includes access to a bus barn with a pit for anything you might need. Happy holidays
Old 02-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #31

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycler
The vw engine is only available in the european nations as of any time soon. Not supposed to be here for four more years. But it is awesome that they are there at least. Europe is the first place all efficient things come to be somewhat mainstream. Its a pity but our reputation goes far and wide. Course you could probably import one yourself but between the exchange rates and the cost of transport it would probably not seem feasible.

VW diesels are here now. I looked at three about one month ago and that was in California. I think the sticker said about 42or 45 hwy. $23500 sticker.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #32
Skoolie

I think what you are seeing is a "newer" diesel engine. I could be wrong but the super-efficient engine that i was refferring to is supposed to get like 60mpg and is still aways off from being offered in the U.S. Maybe the incentives will be adjusted with the new admin.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #33
Bus Nut

I bought vw diesel new in 2001, it has averaged 39.5 mpg for the first 100,000 miles with virtually no engine maintainence except oil changes and 1 warranty mass air sensor replacement,
I just don't understand the need for billions of dollars to be spent on hybrid technology to get the averge fuel economy up to 40 mpg for medium size autos.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #34
Skoolie

The longer they can drag out the turnover to efficient vehicles the more they stand to make.........they can't just let the secrets out of the bag in the first inning.