Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 11:30 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Was kicking myself for not bidding so I emailed the seller and it's been reposted! Now that I've been reading around here I'm concerned with it being an electric engine and nonelectric trans, does that cause many headaches? Are they worth tolerating? Also it's a 6cyl and I'd prefer and 8.3L. How big of a difference is there between the 2?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

angelicadevries21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:39 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

oh I forgot vin lookup says it's 5.9 cummins. I guess my only concern with getting the smaller engine is losing the option to tow.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:41 PM   #23
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicadevries21 View Post
Was kicking myself for not bidding so I emailed the seller and it's been reposted! Now that I've been reading around here I'm concerned with it being an electric engine and nonelectric trans, does that cause many headaches? Are they worth tolerating? Also it's a 6cyl and I'd prefer and 8.3L. How big of a difference is there between the 2?

Whut? electric engine? oh, electronic. As long as not emissions engine, ur ok.

8.3L is displacement- if you filled all 6 of those cylinders with rootbeer, it'd take four 2-liter bottles and a bit.

edit: do NOT fill your engine with any soft drinks or you will incur soda-lock.

TL;DR non emission bus- good to go. what year?

edit2: 5.9l is also 6 cylinder, just takes less rootbeer. Sooo electronic means it's a 24V engine=more power than non-electronic 12V 5.9L older mechanical version.

trans is a what? 545? how long is this bus/how heavy you going to go? towing not recommended w/ 5.9L & 545 trans.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

electronic 5.9 with md3060 trans, don't know if the trans is electronic. I want to keep the option to tow open not to tow anything specific at the moment, but maybe a class b or small trailer in the future?

Old 08-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

and 84 passenger

Old 08-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #26
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
electronic 5.9 with md3060 trans, don't know if the trans is electronic. I want to keep the option to tow open not to tow anything specific at the moment, but maybe a class b or small trailer in the future?

I have the EXACT same eng/trans combo. It isn't suited for towing AND hauling big bus. The trans is one of the best you can get as is lockup and 6-speed option.

You should hold-out for the 8.3L if you wanna tow. Many buses out there, be patient and it will save you $$ in the long run.

When you see her, buy her.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:57 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Sooo electronic means it's a 24V engine=more power than non-electronic 12V 5.9L older mechanical version

I have the EXACT same eng/trans combo. It isn't suited for towing AND hauling big bus.
24v is stronger than 12v but srill not strong enough to tow?

Funny that it's the same as Succubus! When I googled the engine a bookmobile for Auction in IA came up. Yours is RE? I'd imagine the FE would have more working space?

Old 08-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
24v is stronger than 12v but srill not strong enough to tow?

Funny that it's the same as Succubus! When I googled the engine a bookmobile for Auction in IA came up. Yours is RE? I'd imagine the FE would have more working space?

That is correct. Basically it's the same engine found in the Dodge 1 ton pick-ups, just a bit "hot-rodded" for the heavier (read MUCH heavier) school bus. If you come across a small hill, she'll drag down a bit, and will drag down considerably going through the Rockies and the Appalachians, so trips to the coasts will be, um, slow, VERY slow. I have a RE. There are some advantages for both, but the build space in a RE is greater due to two things, 1: no drive shaft going down the middle of the bus - more room below the floor for storage, equipment, plumbing, and so on. 2: more leg room to stretch due to the lack of a dog house that exists in a FE. On long trips being able to move my legs while I'm driving is very important to me, keeps the blood circulating. Either way you will lose a bit of space with the floor plan, but only you can determine which set-up works best for you.

Best of luck.

M