Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
AmTran Dome Lights Staying On

Hi everyone,

I have a 1999 AmTran FE bus and I'm having a problem with the dome lights turning on and staying on when the key is turned to the "off" position. It's only on the passenger side of the bus for some reason. On the drivers side of the bus all of the dome lights are wired in to a brown wire labeled "3" and the passenger side dome lights are wired in to a brown wire labeled "33".

We have essentially chopped the body in half as we plan to use the rear portion as a flatbed ATV hauler. When we performed the chop we were very careful to not disturb the original wiring harness and have simply coiled up all of the excess harness. Besides missing the rear roof escape hatch and a couple of emergency exit windows everything else is the same. My only thought at this moment is maybe the lights are coming on as a warning to the driver? That perhaps the rear door switch isn't working? I'm at a loss as to why only the passenger side lights are turning on and the drivers side are not. Does anyone have any experience with a problem similar to this?

rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
I eventually figured out what the issue was. It was a part of the "Child Reminder System". The driver has to walk to the back of the bus after they turn it off and open the door latch to deactivate the alarm and the lights turn off about 30 seconds later. That gives the driver time to walk back to the front of the bus while the lights are still on.
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:11 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Ah... the conveniences of modern electronics.
On the other hand.... Last year, one of Millicent's dome light circuits began coming on by itself. It was a poor connection, resulting in dim light. But there was definitely some juice flowing. I would push the switch in, and the light would go off -- then sneak back on, partially.
I just took the bulb out for now. Maybe one day I will take time to play with the switch and an ohm meter.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Dang that's a "smart bus" !