Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
Skoolie

Any last pointers?

Basically, I am setting up a wvo system for the first time, and am designing a system to get my feet wet. Instead od hard wiring everything within the chassis of the bus, (oh yeah a 1989 BB TC 2000 5.9 turbo which I can see while driving with cover up and cummins AT545), I am setting up a system directly behind my drivers seat. 2 reasons: 1-to minimize the distance between the motor and tank and 2- Be able to see everything going on and spot any leaks/issues without having to stop and go under the bus.

Using pex as a heat exchanger coiled within a 55 gallon drum.

My motor has a spicket on it which opens and closes to allow coolant to flow towards the rear heater of the bus. I will reroute the coolant to the veggie tank right after the valve. That way I can shut off the flow to the veggie sys if anything starts leaking, which by the way was very useful today when I was tasting my fitting connections while driving.

Will pretty much any large 12v diesel lift pump be able to move hot oil? Pretty much mount the pump between the tank and the filter, then to the IP right? It's hard to find a lot of this stuff up here in the mountains and I have to go to Denver to find most stuff. Can I just take fuel tank selector valve/s off of any diesel truck? Solinoid or mechanical better?

Gonna use 3/8 copper as fuel line with just hoh for now until I make a hih. Copper on 5/8 heater hose with insulation, sound like enough?

Will heater hose wrapped around my racor 1000 be good enough to heat it?

Going to be ready to "flip the switch" within the next couple of days, any last pointers?

Old 03-27-2007, 12:32 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
You may or may not need a pump. The lift pump the engine already has MAY be enough with the gravity feed from the tank. I have a small, cheap electric fuel pump in my system, but I'm not convinced it does much other than priming the system.

It might be in your best interests to get an oil temp gauge or atleast an IR heat gun you can point at the lines to get the temperature of the oil before you inject it.

What injector pump do you have?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
Skoolie

Yeah I think that I am going to use the stock pump for right now, take the gamble drivin down to denver to pick up another spare just to have anyway, won't be a bad idea. As lond as it doesn't conk out in the mean time.

I'm pretty sure the IP is a "Bosch VE," not sure but it's a '89 5.9 cummins, how can I tell?

I got a little fuel pump off of a 1990 toyota 4runner I will use for not just to help pull the oil and to use to prime.