Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: C7 250hp
ASME Propane Tanks

I'm trying to find a new ASME propane tank for my conversion. I'm hoping to find something around 20 gallons / 100 lbs with top mounts. I haven't found anybody online that has anything in stock and the handful of estimates are 6 weeks minimum for delivery.

Would I be able to order this kind of thing from a local propane company and get it sooner vs later?

thegrantrobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:22 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Found it in 5 seconds on ebay.
Jack
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+tank&_sacat=0
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:29 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks - I'd prefer a reputable dealer vs random eBay seller.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:38 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Sorry, you didn't say that--of course Manchester who manufactured the tank is the A#1 quality builder of such tanks but I suppose a disreputable ebay dealer could mess one up. I don't know.

Have you tried Harbor Freight?
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I used the FlameKing 29.3g. in mine. They are getting harder to find in stock and the price is going up. Shop around, lots of places carry this tank.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:24 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I've had some mixed results with eBay and Craigslist - some real finds, some real horrors. I'd prefer a Manchester - they seems to be the favorite for good reason - but I can't find anybody that stocks them. I've seen a handful of Flame King / Armebe, but haven't seen anything good or bad about them - a little cheaper, and I've seen some interesting configurations (shorter and larger diameter) that are appealing.

I didn't see much of anything for cylinders on Harbor Freight. I'll give it a second look incase I'm missing something.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I've seen a couple of smaller Flame King tanks around, but haven't seen any larger ones in stock yet. I'm keeping my eye out for them. I'm starting to wonder if there is a supply issue with tanks at the moment.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:26 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Stick to Manchester.

eBay is fine, if not as described they have to refund and pay the return shipping.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrantrobus View Post
I've seen a couple of smaller Flame King tanks around, but haven't seen any larger ones in stock yet. I'm keeping my eye out for them. I'm starting to wonder if there is a supply issue with tanks at the moment.

There's a supply issue on lots of things and it will be some time before the governments extra unemployment payments end and the resultant increase in the labor pool. Our local establishments have pretty much all raised wages by $2 plus dollars an hour with fast food establishments entering a wage war to try to keep the doors open. All artificially created by policies that paid people more to stay home than to work.

It will be quite some time before the market rights itself (if left alone). When the dust settles there will be a ton of companies that didn't survive and their products will take some time to be replaced by new companies.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:33 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Let's avoid political discourse, please.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:53 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Let's avoid political discourse, please.

Not political at all.

Macro economics.....cause and effect
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 07-26-2021, 03:14 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I used the FlameKing 29.3g. in mine. They are getting harder to find in stock and the price is going up. Shop around, lots of places carry this tank.
Ha! Thanks for the tip - I found this one in stock. I'm hoping to find a slightly shorter tank that will fit my layout a little better, but I think I can make this one work if I don't find anything else soon.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:22 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Not political at all.
I'm just trying to find a propane tank. I have exactly zero interest in anything that isn't DIRECTLY related to that topic.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:34 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Stick to Manchester.

eBay is fine, if not as described they have to refund and pay the return shipping.
I ordered my tank from Wayfair. It arrived damaged and we never took it off the FedEx truck, told them to return to sender. I called and they told me to donate or discard the tank. I immediately called FedEx to get them to return the tank to me, it was too late, by the time they caught it it was already back at Wayfair where they said they would ispose of it for me, dang it. They gave a big discount for the inconvenience and promptly sent another tank that was received damaged due to poor packing. Again they said to discard or donate. They sent a 3rd tank out,they then asked what I wanted to do. They ended up refunding the whole purchase price and told me to keep the tanks. These $500 tanks probaly only cost around $100 to make, shipping/storage,disposal is probably more than that, so it's business decision to forfeit it. I ended up selling the good one, fixing and using the damaged one.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:53 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I ordered my tank from Wayfair. It arrived damaged and we never took it off the FedEx truck, told them to return to sender. I called and they told me to donate or discard the tank. I immediately called FedEx to get them to return the tank to me, it was too late, by the time they caught it it was already back at Wayfair where they said they would ispose of it for me, dang it. They gave a big discount for the inconvenience and promptly sent another tank that was received damaged due to poor packing. Again they said to discard or donate. They sent a 3rd tank out,they then asked what I wanted to do. They ended up refunding the whole purchase price and told me to keep the tanks. These $500 tanks probaly only cost around $100 to make, shipping/storage,disposal is probably more than that, so it's business decision to forfeit it. I ended up selling the good one, fixing and using the damaged one.
Interesting return policy! I get nervous whenever I see something is coming via FedEx these days. I had a similar experience with a large compressor. First one arrived with the compressor sheared clean off the tank. Second one arrived with a disturbingly large dent in the tank. Third one had a broken wheel... Perhaps they're using bulldozers instead of fork lifts to move things around. I'd have done the same keeping the salvageable one!
Old 07-26-2021, 04:15 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Interesting return policy! I get nervous whenever I see something is coming via FedEx these days. I had a similar experience with a large compressor. First one arrived with the compressor sheared clean off the tank. Second one arrived with a disturbingly large dent in the tank. Third one had a broken wheel... Perhaps they're using bulldozers instead of fork lifts to move things around. I'd have done the same keeping the salvageable one!
The first one I sent back had this mounting bracket bent and the weld to the tank broken but not into the tank. This is the second one with a bend ear on the bracket, this was enough for them to tell me to keep it. They put the tank in the box and shoot expanding faom in it. But not around the mounting brackets that need it the most.

Old 07-26-2021, 06:15 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Those are Flame King right?

Had recalls over the years

made in Mexico
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:06 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
The FedEx guy literally rolled my new portable generator up the steps to the porch, end over end. I had to reinstall the battery but everything else was ok.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:08 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
The FedEx guy literally rolled my new portable generator up the steps to the porch, end over end. I had to reinstall the battery but everything else was ok.

That's why modern cell phones take video..... to create youtube stars.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:42 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I had a hard time finding a 30 gallon tank. Bought the last Flame King tank from an ebay seller in December for $500. Nice well made tank. One of the mounting flanges was slightly bent but no damage to tank or even the powder coat. These things are hard to find. When you get it, use all the holes to mount it up. I welded the bolt heads to the floor so they would not spin (once the finished floor is installed) if the tank had to be dropped or nuts torqued. I did use lock washers and nylock nuts. What can I say? I did not want this thing falling off the bus!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6544.jpg