Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Basic Solar Math

Hi all,

I will be introducing myself in the forum as soon as I get over the awe of what I'm doing. I am so excited to build my rig.

Anyway, I have lurked around reading as many posts as I can and get the gist of it all but I was hoping some of you might comment with your recommendations.

I have a full sized bus, so space is not an issue. I am looking at purchasing four framed monocrystalline 305w panels for $115 a piece. This would leave me with a generous 1.22kW (1220 watt) sized system.

I'll be using all LED lighting (10 bulbs at 10w or so) run only a few at a time for a few hours at a time. An average energy star residential fridge (I read they are about 650 watts, don't know the voltage), a fan on the composting toilet, an LED television and media that pulls approximately 8-10aH, used intermittently, water pumps, et cetera. Pretty basic stuff really. As a recording artist I might like to install my recording rig onboard and in that case the power demands on my media center would jump up quite a bit (a 650w power supply) ... honestly I am lost.

is a 1.22kW system too much?

What would be a good starting point for the total amp hours in my battery array? Is 500aH overkill? Is there an advantage to 2 x 250aH vs 5 x 100aH batteries, assuming space is not an issue?

As far as the solar battery charger, do these include regulators? Are they the same thing? My panels are 8.94amps at max power current. Multiplied by four that's just under 36 amps total. What does this mean when I am selecting a charger?

I know I need a pure sine inverter, but that is about as much as I understand. It will probably need to be 2-3kW in peak draw but what else should I be looking for?

Sorry, total noob trying to get a grasp on all this. Panel, charger, inverter, and battery recommendations are welcomed. What has worked for you guys?

warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote