Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post

That in the picture is a back up beeper. The 12-24 volts shows it's for both 12 and 24v systems. Take a picture of the other item and I'll try and ID that as well.
Thank you man that makes since haha...
I didn’t pay attention to the 107 dba it had on that .... guess I’ll be keeping that... probably hook it up to a switch though

BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:09 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
That in the picture is a back up beeper. The 12-24 volts shows it's for both 12 and 24v systems. Take a picture of the other item and I'll try and ID that as well.
Huh, I just tried to hit the Thanks button for your comment, but apparently I've been thanking you too much and the site won't let me until I thank somebody else. So all I can give you is a lame emoji.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:20 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusT View Post
Thank you man that makes since haha...
I didn’t pay attention to the 107 dba it had on that .... guess I’ll be keeping that... probably hook it up to a switch though
Why a switch? It comes on only when backing so I'd just unbolt it and tuck it away somewhere else. There isn't any regulation on where it's mounted, so long as it's in the back. And truthfully, it's more of a commercial vehicle thing anyways. It's a good idea to have it, but I don't think it's required on an "RV".

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Huh, I just tried to hit the Thanks button for your comment, but apparently I've been thanking you too much and the site won't let me until I thank somebody else. So all I can give you is a lame emoji.

Just here to help.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I will say that there are many times I would have liked to switch off the backup beeper (late at night parking it in the driveway).
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Quote:

Well thanks a lot !! Y’all
Old 04-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Finally got my original fuel tank off tonight ... I’ll be posting pictures and trying to get a good 15 hours of work in this weekend
Old 04-08-2020, 10:12 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
I will say that there are many times I would have liked to switch off the backup beeper (late at night parking it in the driveway).
I think it would be good to have during a busy kind of traffic situation but yes definitely turn off most of the times .... be able to flip on when out near lots of cars and public
Old 04-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Hey y’all how’s everyone doing . I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy .
I’ve been thinking about using the 100 gallon as a Wvo tank under the frame rails centered and now keeping the 35 gallon diesel tank slightly moved a little to use as entrance door step as well....

How’s the Dt466e on wvo
Is 35 gallon and 100gallon Sufficient ?
I could always use both for diesel if needed ?
Be able to have the ability to run wvo even though it’s a big learning experience and more expensive project inside this big project to work on ....
It would be cool as a fan .

How’s getting wvo in 2020. I heard a lot of restaurants sell it off now?
I understand I need filters . And to heat the oil before going to the engine and also have a heated fuel tank....
Old 04-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
waste vegetable oil

I am trying to talk you out of using waste vegetable oil in your kind of engine.
Any engine that uses electrically fired with high pressure oil system is not a good match for using WVO. Older mechanically bases systems tolerate WVO much better. If you use wvo in your engine I predict that you will end up replacing all six injectors with in 24 months of using wvo.

Please dont..... dt466 okay...dt466e nope not okay.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Read the thread at this link here Best/Worst Engines for Veg?

People have done it before. You might as well learn from them.

The big appeal of wvo, wmo, and other alternative fuel sources was that they were free, compared to diesel being $4+ a gallon. So you could afford to spend hours collecting and filtering the stuff. Then places wised up and started selling the oil for money, and it quickly lost it's allure.

You're not going to save the planet by burning wvo. You're still burning a carbon based fuel to get somewhere and that is still bad for the environment, regardless if the fuel you used was "free".

And it's never truly free. You have to put time in collecting and transporting it, spend money on a good filter setup(don't skimp on it) and spend the time filtering it, and then you have to spend money on the vehicle(heaters, extra tanks, and valves).

So once you factor all of that in, you'll likely come to the conclusion that there are other ways to save/make money.

If you want to repurpose motor oil or fryer grease, build or buy a furnace that can burn it, and use that for heat in the winter. That's what we do at the shop.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:19 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
I am trying to talk you out of using waste vegetable oil in your kind of engine.
Any engine that uses electrically fired with high pressure oil system is not a good match for using WVO. Older mechanically bases systems tolerate WVO much better. If you use wvo in your engine I predict that you will end up replacing all six injectors with in 24 months of using wvo.

Please dont..... dt466 okay...dt466e nope not okay.

william
That’s pretty much what I figured ... I knew Dt466e wasn’t a premium match for it and also that’s it has been done but I don’t want to deal with the issues of an over complicated system that still will round out too be a dollar or so cheaper then diesel.

Well then is there ways people upgrade Injectors to handle that ?
I might not actually do it but to know what I takes to be done and I’m the future be able to save this 35 gallon tank for something like that . I can have the possibility ... are people still able to collect it for almost free or are most restruants selling it off
Old 04-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Quote:
Read the thread at this link here Best/Worst Engines for Veg?

People have done it before. You might as well learn from them.

The big appeal of wvo, wmo, and other alternative fuel sources was that they were free, compared to diesel being $4+ a gallon. So you could afford to spend hours collecting and filtering the stuff. Then places wised up and started selling the oil for money, and it quickly lost it's allure.

You're not going to save the planet by burning wvo. You're still burning a carbon based fuel to get somewhere and that is still bad for the environment, regardless if the fuel you used was "free".

And it's never truly free. You have to put time in collecting and transporting it, spend money on a good filter setup(don't skimp on it) and spend the time filtering it, and then you have to spend money on the vehicle(heaters, extra tanks, and valves).

So once you factor all of that in, you'll likely come to the conclusion that there are other ways to save/make money.

If you want to repurpose motor oil or fryer grease, build or buy a furnace that can burn it, and use that for heat in the winter. That's what we do at the shop.
Do you know any other options or ideas people use for wood stove heating water ???
What about wvo in cold climates ? I’ll check the link out ? Still interested but maybe for another project down the road
Old 04-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #53
Bus Geek

Injectors are all the same. I've never seen anyone advertise a wvo injector for any engine. I'm not really sure what they would change internally.

The key with burning used oil is filtration. Filter it, filter it some more, and then filter it even more then that. Run it through several times because no filtration system is 100% perfect, and you need to be as close to perfect as you can. Also, heating the oil is important too.

But, if the only trips you're making is to the store and back, it isn't worth it. IMO you need to be driving hundreds of miles per week so that your fuel costs are high enough to make this worthwhile.

What kind of wood stove heating water are you wanting to find? The only wood boilers that I know of are the whole house kind that are essentially a 4'x6' outdoor shed, much too big size and heat wise for a skoolie.

If you're looking for indoor radiant heating, you could likely rig up some sort of plate and pump setup to sit on top of a typical wood stove. If you're looking for a source for hot shower water, I don't know if I'd really want to do something like that.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:17 AM   #54
Bus Nut

Quote:
This is a pic of my fuel filler tube from inside the bus, with the metal cover removed:

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/attac...9&d=1572977733

(The yellow at the top is the inside of the little door for filling up the tank). There's a round opening cut through the chair rail, and a rectangular opening cut into the floor (with a piece of rubber underneath the filler tube) that allows the filler tube to pass through the floor and on to the top of the tank.

And then this pic shows where the filler tube comes to the top of the tank:

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/attac...2&d=1585337579

(I actually just covered this over yesterday)

Relocating one of the chassis crossmembers to accommodate a longer tank is solidly in the "impossible" category for me - kudos to you in advance for pulling it off.
Hey I’m this 1st pic of the filler tube ? What’s that other hose right next to it?
Is the 1st few inches metal then tubing or is there some threaded pipe that you gas cap screw onto then it adapts to
The filler tube?

I’m thinking of taking the cap off my fuel tank and double
Hose clamping a filler tube over that... then welding a pipe with threads where I can screw another gas cap on
Old 07-11-2020, 05:09 AM   #55
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusT View Post
Hey I’m this 1st pic of the filler tube ? What’s that other hose right next to it?
Is the 1st few inches metal then tubing or is there some threaded pipe that you gas cap screw onto then it adapts to
The filler tube?

I’m thinking of taking the cap off my fuel tank and double
Hose clamping a filler tube over that... then welding a pipe with threads where I can screw another gas cap on
I don't know what the other hose is next to the big filler tube.

I think the filler tube is all metal, but I'm not sure.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:19 AM   #56
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thats the one thing I wish my busses had is biggerfuel tanks!! being shorties there isnt muich space between the stepwell and rear wheel well.. but i really dislike the 35 gallon tanks
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:29 AM   #57
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
thats the one thing I wish my busses had is biggerfuel tanks!! being shorties there isnt muich space between the stepwell and rear wheel well.. but i really dislike the 35 gallon tanks
I'd love a bigger tank, just don't know where I'd put it on the shorty.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:54 AM   #58
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
definitely a short bus challenge.. on mine on the left side is where all the air tanks and dryer and such are.. im guessing yours is same way.. behind the wheels between the frame rails is a possibiliy for a second tank, 2nd tank of course adds more plumbing.. with a diesel even more complex as you need to set it up so the fuel return returns fuel back to the same tank you pulled it from
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #59
Bus Nut

Quote:
I don't know what the other hose is next to the big filler tube.

I think the filler tube is all metal, but I'm not sure.
Well it also looks like there is / was a 2in diameter or so hose going into you tank? Was that hose clamped over a nipple or something ?

Kind of like this picture .. I’m trying to find out how the hose is attached ?
Attached Thumbnails
C0907D5C-CB0E-47FA-89A8-B70D5CC6A311.jpg  
Old 07-11-2020, 08:52 AM   #60
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I'm in the same dilemma. I have ~52" between my stepwell and wheelwell for a fuel tank. I plan to cannibalize one from a road tractor (and brackets) to swap for mine.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
100 gallons, fuel tank