Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1947
Chassis: ford
Rated Cap: 36
filtering question.

ok, so i've been reading a lot about the amount of filters needed on the bus itself and am trying to plan an eventual conversion for my bus. i was wondering if you could pre filter down to say, 1 micron outside of the bus, in a seperate system, could you then put the gas in the bus and not worry about filtering and such, and only worry about the pumps and keeping the oil heated? i know this wouldnt be very efficient for traveling, but for not too long it would work right? the system that made me think of this is the system from http://www.greasecar.com/product_detail.cfm?prodID=19 is what i'm saying possible or workable? i wouldnt want to ruin an engine.

jrhoades10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas? Safe-t-liner
Engine: 6bta5.9
Rated Cap: 78
Re: filtering question.

i would think that if you actually get the oil filtered down to anything close to 1mic, you will almost never change and onboard filter; so why not use one?
If you need to use some oil on the road or have a problem with your at home filter then you have the cheap insurance of the on board filter allready set up.
In driving my mercedes 70000 miles i was VERY slow to correct mistakes in the planning and original plans (adding to and adjusting my set-up) so on my new project i am gonna do it right first time.
rjz5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1947
Chassis: ford
Rated Cap: 36

ok thanks, and now that i've looked at it more, i'm gonna have a bus and even though theres not a whole lot of room i might as well just have this in the back if i have room, then i never have to worry about it! i just hope i'll have room for this, if not i'll probly make my own system..... i hope.

anyone in the phoenix area that has restored their bus or people that have experience in setting up a wvo system from scratch? or a step by step instruction guide, preferably with pictures and/or a parts list that i can use.

thanks
josh
jrhoades10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas? Safe-t-liner
Engine: 6bta5.9
Rated Cap: 78

if this is your first wvo project i would read as much as i could on the interweb. check some of the company forums, all the kit companies have forums and some of them are very informative. also check ebay for any items relating to wvo or biodiesel because that can help you envision your system.
good luck and dont forget about craigslist, great deals on components and sometimes people even sell complete filter and convesion kits and you can offer them whatever you want to pay and the worst thing that happens is you dont spend any money
rjz5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #5

I know a gang of crazy kids based in the Bay area that travel in The Big Green Bus. We are talkin ultra lo-cost traveling and living. The bus ran on WVO and they were total pirates about it. They would simply hit up a target late at night; scrape the crud off top and pour it in. When you are on the road, with a travelling Act for example, you dont have too much time to filter the stuff. They tried filtering for a minute but that quickly gave way to just scraping the scum off the top and pouring it in. They soon realized that this method REQUIRED that you change filters very often. Good news is though that if you change your filter frequently this method is completely realistic. If you are hittin it hard and putting the miles on, I would say that it might be a good idea. It can eliminate alot of space and hassle for sure.

I had a F-250 running on WVO in rural Kentucky and found that it was pretty hard to come by willing oil contributers. If you are on the road for a while I could certainly see it ONLY being possible to be sneaky about getting the stuff and this method would fit that well. Although I have not been on the road in a WVO vehicle so I am not sure of anyones real life experiences.
stickyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #6

If you are on the road though, and you have somewhere to be your options are going to be very limited. Thay wasnt really the point though, I just used it as an example of not filtering, which is totally possible.
stickyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote