Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #1
Skoolie

Fire supression in our skoolie

I have been reading up on safety related items and one question I have is regarding install of a fire supression system for the interior of the bus?

Has anyone done this? Any recommendations for type of extinguisher system I should be looking for?

Old 01-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Hi,

I have a wood stove and also have 5 fire extinguishers. better safe than sorry.
Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
get one of them big tanks of co2 and mount it by the door. in case of fire just open the valve and shut the door behind you
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:20 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
get one of them big tanks of co2 and mount it by the door. in case of fire just open the valve and shut the door behind you
Thats an awesome idea!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
This is actually exactly what I am looking at! I found this system that is ingenious! It is just a tube that is heat sensitive. If it heats, it ruptures and releases CO2 into the space where it is running. I could run lines of this in areas that are highly suspect such as the engine compartment, along fuel lines and inside the bus where electricals are stored or cooking is done.

I have reached out to the company to get more information.

As a secondary option, there are systems like BlazeCut that are affordable and easy to install.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourmefa View Post
... and releases CO2 into the space where it is running. ... inside the bus where electricals are stored or cooking is done. ...
Um... I would suggest some good smoke alarms and a pull-rope or some such as the last person exits. As I read it, you're describing an automated system which would kill all occupants if it malfunctioned. Especially while driving or at night you would likely not realize the problem until you passed out; if you did and another family member were still in the bus you would be highly likely to go back in to rescue him or her... and be overcome yourself. Please think this through carefully...
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
Skoolie

I should have noted that this would be in addition to CO detectors and smoke alarm system, which will be hard wired to certain safety mechanics such as windows/doors be unlocked automatically (which of course open manually as well). The CO2 supression will primarily be for enclosed areas such as the engine compartment and battery banks/electrical systems. The secondary systems such as CO2 world not activate until well after other systems have alerted to an issue and the fire has grown enough to melt the tubing. There are probably secondary safety mechanisms that can be used to ensure the fire supression does not go off unless certain criteria are met, such as the smoke detection alerting. There will be active smoke/co detection every three feet or so inside the bus. I am using a zwave home automation controller for integration and have most of the system that I will have in the bus, setup in my home. Each smoke detector acts as a repeater.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2017, 08:04 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
I should have noted ...
Cool. I just didn't want to read a 'good news - bad news' post about a bus that didn't burn. (We want to keep you and your family around.)
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:35 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I have been reading up on safety related items and one question I have is regarding install of a fire supression system for the interior of the bus?

Has anyone done this? Any recommendations for type of extinguisher system I should be looking for?
"ABC" type, 5 pound size or larger.
Maybe a HALON for near your stove.

I would get Three (3). They don't go as far as you'd think.
One by driver, one in outside compartment (or near stove inside), and one in "bedroom" area.

Check at your local "fire extinguisher service" services and you might find a couple used that are the size you see on fuel islands at a reasonable price.

Cheap insurance for sure.
Dixie Bushcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:57 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
Halon works by chemically disrupting the chemical reactions of fire. It is typically either handheld or mounted in a high-pressure bottle attached to a sensor. It is extremely effective, leaves no residue, is not toxic and doesnt damage sensitive equipment.

Unfortunately, halon is a CFC and no new halon has been produced since 1994. What's out there is recycled and becoming increasingly expensive ($150/lb). There are numerous replacements out there, but none are more than 70% as effective as halon.

I looked for other "clean gas" but it was also outrageous. The more affordable stuff seems to be the chemical powders (make a mess) and the inert gases (displace oxygen).
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Try an ordinary CO2 fire extinguisher. That is the preferred method for shutting down a runaway diesel, also without leaving any residue.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
This is actually exactly what I am looking at! I found this system that is ingenious! It is just a tube that is heat sensitive. If it heats, it ruptures and releases CO2 into the space where it is running. I could run lines of this in areas that are highly suspect such as the engine compartment, along fuel lines and inside the bus where electricals are stored or cooking is done.

I have reached out to the company to get more information.

As a secondary option, there are systems like BlazeCut that are affordable and easy to install.
Race car systems...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
I planned to make a spray bar in the engine bay and hook up to a fire extinguisher. Most fires I see happen there especially in coaches. Make sure to kill the fridge pilot and dont let the ole lady cook going down the road and you should be ok☺
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Is your z wave controller rated for life safety?
It is not?
Than why would you even consider it for a life safety system?
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote