Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3L IDI
Rated Cap: 44
Re: Looking for help with two tank system

Hey bud, congrats on your bus. I have a fullsize 1990 bluebird on international chassis. Are you planning a 3 tank setup with onboard filtration or are you just going to have 2 tanks, one for diesel, one for WVO? If just two tanks then you of course wouldn't need to transfer between them because the goal is to keep the fuels separated. In a system with a dirty tank, and a clean tank for WVO you would need to design an adequate filtration system that would be plumbed between the tanks. A few posts below this one in the WVO section, I posted a diagram with my plans on creating this kind of system. It involves the three tanks, with onboard filtration. Sorry I don't know how to link it, but have a look.

From what I've researched, you should use aluminum for any surfaces coming in contact with warm WVO to prevent polymerization, I don't know the chemistry behind this, but it seems to be a common opinion and it isn't too hard to do.

I would definitely add a secondary fuel pump for several reasons. My bus has the 7.3 IDI engine with an integrated stock fuel pump (weak). I hope to never have to replace it because it will cost very much. Secondly, this pump will most likely not pull enough for the added length and viscosity of the WVO. A secondary cheapo pump in an easy to service location will be a great help. Just keep a backup. Or go with a more expensive pump that will last. Remember to regulate your pump to the proper pressure. For me that is something like 10 psi at the injection pump, but this varies widely I believe. My idea was to regulate the pump by diverting excess pressure to the return line and looping it to keep it warm without warming the whole tank. Again, looking at my other post and study the diagram closely.

Lastly, go west and visit everything national park you can. Plan to spend a month.

Edit: Here's the link: http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3894

The Eggcrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

I'll concur that an auxillary fuel pump is key for not stressing stock components which are more expensive and harder to replace. Polyethylene tanks are common as well and easy to work with. Some are modular so you can add more tank for extra wvo storage or maybe a "dirty" wvo tank. Just don't mount a plastic tank underneath unless it is encased in some way for they will flex a little and can come loose. WVO all over the highway can be bad. Good luck hope this helps alittle. RECYCLER
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

Hope the conversion is still going strong..........If so.......Colorado is a great place to stop and refuel easily. I can offer some free parking with a view that just can't be beat. Tools and kind folks on the veggie train. Petroleum is for suckers
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote