Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2021, 03:06 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Chassis: International
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
Arrow *Diesel generators only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastlane View Post
All of the above while generating electricity* whenever you want while your entire living space is kept at 70F 24/7.

... and unconstrained capacity for diesel heaters and electric generation* are gravy.
*Diesel generators only.

Inner Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:05 AM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
A suggestion, keep in mind the extra stopping distance and possible change in handling from the extra weight. Just a thought.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:48 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: formerly 71 now 2 or 4
The handling would improve with that much added weight in the lower 1/4 so like my truck with a load of steel plates it handles like a indy car ( if you have a decent motor)
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:34 PM   #24
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
The handling would improve with that much added weight in the lower 1/4 so like my truck with a load of steel plates it handles like a indy car ( if you have a decent motor)
The science here being that, to a point, more weight on the tires helps traction, which can actually improve braking. A little more weight on the tires can help keep the wheels from locking up under hard braking, which can actually help braking distance.

And being able to cruise farther without stopping can improve fuel economy as well... Might actually see 1-2 mpg more if you're not having to stop every 300 miles.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:17 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
These are both concepts easy the debate in their math but harder to gauge in real life. Yes weight helps with traction for more effective braking without locking up but it also means that there's more weight to bring to a stop and in this case it's liquid weight which continues to move in spite of the dynamics of the vehicle. Those of us here who have semi truck driving experience often draw on that as reference because it's an extreme version of the same principles at work for a school bus turned skoolie. That bus was designed for a maximum weight of X and the brakes scaled to meet that requirement but when it's empty the brakes are theoretically too effective and without ABS can lock up, increasing braking distance as well as being less controllable and therefore less safe. However, most skoolie builds replace the expected weight of students with interior construction and living comforts so you don't necessarily gain MORE effective braking by adding excessive volume tanks of fuel, water, etc. You do however gain mass that requires stopping dynamic physics and if not careful can inadvertently exceed the safe margins of gross vehicle weight and/or unbalance the rig if not conscientious about the locations of those tanks of moving fluid.

As for the fuel economy aspect, I'm skeptical that being able to go more than 250-300 miles between fuel-ups is going to improve fuel economy. If anything I think the opposite will prove to be the case in the real world that toting around all that excess weight when it's not required will actually have a slightly negative effect on fuel economy. I think I like the idea of having the capacity for long term boondocking but I don't think I'd keep the tanks topped up at all times. Now that the temps are above freezing in my region I've returned to my habit of only fueling one side of the semi because it'll equalize to both tanks anyways and I'm averaging 10.1mpg - which anyone with semi experience will attest is incredible in a big rig! My fuel economy dropped in the winter with more idling and anti-gel additives that have a little impact on economy but still in the high 9s. Most of that is the technology in modern trucks and along with that comes things like truck and trailer ABS as well as automatic central tire inflation to ensure I'm getting the absolute most efficiency and safety while reducing wear. These are things many of us here preach constantly because they add up to longer life, safer rigs and less breakdowns. The only caveat is it takes longer to realize these savings because most skoolies aren't achieving 100k miles a year but the savings are still there in the long term.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:15 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
wow you guys and your 200 gallons of fuel.. must be nice to have room for fuel! my busses only have paltry 35 gallon tanks.. only place I have to add tanks would be behind my axles and im concerned about horrible weight distrbution and swaying if I add weight back there.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, interstate, interstate rules, legal, legal limit