Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 41
one-wire alternator question

so this weekend we fired off the bus and let it idle after we replaced the front engine cover, checking for leaks, when my son noticed the alternator wasn't alternating and the battery voltage was steadily declining.

of course my first thought was that I had somehow fubar'd the system when we replaced the front engine cover. When i gave the alternator a once-over I noticed it only has one wire, the fat battery cable, and that's it. There were 2 extra studs unoccupied, ... dang did I miss something. Then after a midnite internet scowering i found that I have a one-wire alternator that needs to be rev'ed past a trigger rmp before the regulator kicks in, we only idled the engine.

Now, the other 2 terminals are marked R and I, which turns out is probably a lower case L. R appears to be an out put for a (special) rpm indicator, and L is were the alternator light goes on a 3 wire alternator.

my question to the group here, given that this alternator has a stud marked for a light, what would happen if I connected a light bulb to this stud?? i am thinking 12 volt from a 'run' circuit, fuse, small light bulb, 2 watts or so, and then to the L terminal like on a 3 wire alternator....

The alternator is a Wilson with the number 90-01-4297N

Any thoughts?????

Thanks!

Gert

rv8flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: one-wire alternator question

That should be fine.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 41
Re: one-wire alternator question

does anybody have a link to, or a schematic of, the under hood wiring for my IH3800 1998 build??

There are some free dangling connectors in the alternator harness, just wondering if one of them ends up in the cabin?? Then there is a bundle of wires that appears to be lobbed off in midstream ... must be working as the bus ran fine last year
rv8flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote