Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #1

Pellet stove ?

Last year I heated with a wood stove, it sucked! I had to get up 4 times a night to load the fire place. I am hoping to use a pellet stove this year but I run my power completely off solar. I am concerned that the pellet stove will use to much power, anyone have experience using a pellet stove powered from Solar?

luap928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
How about using coal in the stove VS wood.

I switched last winter to coal. I was able to go 12 to 24 hours between loading's.

Also way cheaper. I only burned just under two tons of coal for a cost of under $100.

If I burn firewood, The cost is $1500 to $2000 a winter.

I like you got sick of loading the stove every 3 to 4 hours, waking up cold, ect.

About pellet stoves.

Find a stove you like, and see how many amps the blower motor needs. Then you can calculate from there.

Edit.
If you really want to use a pellet stove, here is one that has a hookup for 12 battery power as a backup. The literature should tell the power needs.

http://www.enchantedfireside.com/bat...-pellet-stove/

This site says his stove uses 9.33 amps at 12 volt.
100 watts at 120 volt.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=82849

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:01 PM   #3
Bus Nut

If you wanted to build a stove there are some self feeding pellet fueled rocket stoves

Or you could get a pellet basket for the stove. <<< This is what I would go for.
I am guessing that all the blowers are going to be about 60 to 120 watts as that is a fairly common range on 3 inch fans in general. So if you figure about 10 amps x 9 hours you need an extra 90 amp hours in your system not to mention the power the auger uses, which isn't much. You could always get in there and under power the motor if you wanted and do your own rocket(stove) surgery.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
here is a non electric pellet stove....

Old 11-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
Bus Nut

That is a damn neat stove.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
That is a damn neat stove.
For $1900 it better be a neat stove.

I welded together a wood stove out of 1/4" thick steel sheet metal. The pieces of sheet cost $75. Stove gasket rope was $15, random bits were a few more bucks. The chimney system will be the expensive part.

Problem is loading it will probably have to occur throughout the night if it's really cold.
Tippyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #7
Bus Geek

$1500 here.

https://www.facebook.com/Zephyr-Gree...7543692320194/

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 11-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Good stoves are not cheap. Pellet stoves are all in that $1600-$4000 range anyways. That is not to say all cheap stoves are bad, you just usually get what you pay for. Also how much do you value your time? If you were to sell me your stove you certainly wouldn't charge me $90. Look how many welds are in that stove think about how many cuts and welds and grinding that takes to make a stove that complex.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:44 PM   #9
Bus Geek

If it works as good as shown, I would pay the $1500, then use it as a pattern to build a stainless steel version, all tig welded together, with a better water jacket heat exchanger.

Nat

Old 11-04-2015, 10:02 PM   #10
Almost There

Are they very new? I feel as if it worked as good as advertised, I would have heard of it already...
Tippyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #11
Bus Nut

There are enough videos on youtube I don't think you need to buy one first. It is essentially a rocket stove with a w shaped secondary burn chamber instead of a nested column. Also what he calls a secondary burn chamber isn't it is just a place for the pellets to fully combust, which is damn clever. That thing would be sexy and expensive in all stainless.
If I really didn't want to see the fire in the stove I would be all over that. They do make one with a glass window but it is like watching your water heater. If you were to fully enclose those two top triangles (maybe the bottom one too) and fill them with circulating water or even sand man that would hold heat for a loooooooong time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippyman View Post
Are they very new? I feel as if it worked as good as advertised, I would have heard of it already...
Well they are a tiny company started in 2011/12 , with only a few distributors and they make a niche product by hand.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:18 PM   #12
Bus Geek

This one works the same way.

Nat

Old 07-18-2016, 04:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
here is a non electric pellet stove....

My first post! I just bought a bus, starting conversion this week
I think this stove would be great as it can also heat water.
Hoping to use the bus year round in cold climates and I've heard in cold weather propane has moisture issues. Really leaning towards this stove, wish someone had already done it though.
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, pellet stove