Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #1

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 42 Passenger
Engine: Chevy
Propane delivery or additional tank

I'm doing some planning for taking our propane-feuled art bus/mutant vehicle to burning man.

We'll be driving it around everyday for 6 days at 5 mph for perhaps a total of 1 or 2 hours each day. I'm wondering:

1) ...if can last the whole week on one tank. Refueling is about 8 miles from the event. How might I figure this out?
2) ...if propane delivery services actually exist for vehicles. Of course they must, but struggling to find them.
3) ...if adding a second propane tank to the bus is prudent.

Cheers,
Gano

http://www.facebook.com/TheArtCar

gano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Propane delivery or additional tank

I vote for number 3....... always good to have a backup with you.....
why not park and just walk around burning man? Scenery will be the same...
Old 12-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Can you ever have too much propane? Only time I can say yes is when it is leaking and there is a flame near by... then you would have too much propane.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I vote you don't drive a bus around burning man.

I also vote that ALL propane powered anything should have a connection to use refillable bottles as a back up.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E

its getting harder and harder to fined propane stations that will pump propane now most places are going with exchange tanks, here in Ontario gov regs have shut down a lot of filling stations, so I would have some sort of other tank
gbstewart
Old 02-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
its getting harder and harder to fined propane stations that will pump propane now most places are going with exchange tanks, here in Ontario gov regs have shut down a lot of filling stations, so I would have some sort of other tank
gbstewart
Do they still come out to farms and fill heating tanks?

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

They do here in Ontario around "The Soo". It's still more affordable for heating then running a wretched oil furnace so remains popular. In fact, there's a Superior Propane yard full of delivery trucks not more than 2km away from me right now.

Side note: It's not uncommon to find free bottom-of-the-barrel heating oil since most people are getting away from oil furnaces. Usually you have to do the work of draining the tank and hauling it away. The oil around here is straight uncoloured diesel plus you get a nice tank for the scrap metal pile!
Old 02-09-2014, 01:05 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

I vote adding an extra tank. Better to have extra than run out and not having to depend on a delivery service is one less thing to worry about. We get propane delivered at our sticks and bricks, and I know people with 'mobile homes' (trailers) do as well, but the tank is always outside. If you find a delivery service in that area, maybe just tell them it's a 'mobile home' and surprise then when they get there? You might just have to tip the guy well...

I don't know about mpg with propane, but I was told the CNG buses in Kalifornia get horrible gas mileage (as in half of a diesel) so I can't imagine propane would be much better? Why not just leave it Diesel or run bio? Just curious (unless I'm interpreting the initial question wrong, I'm tired!)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote