Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Location: Mtn. Home Idaho - 1982 Superior propane powered chevy 366
Propane Tank Sending Unit / Fuel Guage Workings

Alrighty looks like I almost have an offer on the table for selling my house, and that means I'm going to set sail in my 82 366 powered superior/chevy bus for its first long trip... Before I do, I wanted to know how the fuel guage sending units work just incase I get on the road and dont see it moving. How does the propane float or whatever system work, and if for some reason it didnt what should I be looking for, what trouble shooting would one do. I know gasoline tank float systems really well I've just never tinked with the propane set ups. Thanks guy for whatever you can tell me.

Oh its a dual propane tank set up if that makes any difference, and I dont see a selector to switch tanks anywhere???? Wonder if they just equalize and the float or whatever is in one of them??

Mike..

Gyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Propane guage

Mountain Home, Idaho.. I am from Twin Falls.
You seem to have most of the answers about the guage. Because there are 2 tanks, there are only a few possibilities.
First guess Single fuel line would indicate both tanks age used at the same time requiring just a single guage sender.
Second guess. If both tanks have seperate control valves, tank with guage is used after first tank is consumed.
The tank guage sender usually is acted upon by the liguid in the tank.
I also use 2 tanks, 2 valves, but with no guage. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Just a word of warning....I have never seen one of those tanks that is really accurate. For the first trip, when you stop to stretch, pee, whatever, just get out and tap on the tank. You should hear the liquid level. The other test is to just feet the pressure difference. It will be colder where there is still liquid in it. I'm sure your gauges work fine. I just wanted to give you some warning because I certainly wouldn't want to be stranded on the side of the road without fuel cause the gauge isn't accurate. I'm sure you'll start looking for propane before it gets too low anyway.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

you can use one of the infrared non-contact thermometers to find the fuel level. Even easier is you currently have a draw on the system (something running) so the temp differential will be greater.

You will read a temp change right at the level of the liquid as you scan down the side of the tank with the thermometer.
waywardfool is offline   Reply With Quote