Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Re: Running my gypsy bus off of water!

Quote:
Maybe if you use beer instead of water.
But most domestic beer IS water. Once we start importing all the hearty stuff, we might run into OBEC (Organization of Beer Exporting Countries) embargoes that will threaten our national security!

Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
Quote:
Maybe if you use beer instead of water.
But most domestic beer IS water. Once we start importing all the hearty stuff, we might run into OBEC (Organization of Beer Exporting Countries) embargoes that will threaten our national security!
Correction. Most domestic beer is water filtered through a horses kidneys.

-Ray
Old 01-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1959
Coachwork: superior
Chassis: international
Engine: 468 c.i. BBchevy
Rated Cap: 66

I knew those Clydesdale's served another purpose.
Navistate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:49 PM   #24
Bus Nut

why not just use the clydesdales to pull the bus?
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

just dont feed the horses the beer! as we all know you can lead the horses to the water......
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1959
Coachwork: superior
Chassis: international
Engine: 468 c.i. BBchevy
Rated Cap: 66

But we can run the horses on water, so it is possible to power a bus with water. Problem solved. Time for a beer.
Navistate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul iossi
why not just use the clydesdales to pull the bus?

then you can claim that you can run your bus off of grass.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #28
Bus Nut

run the bus off of grass and water with beer as a byproduct,
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

This thread is weird.

A 'hydrogen generator' is another name for a hydrogen electrolysis system that does not transfer the gases produced to a storage vessel. Unless you have the right materials and knowledge, you just do not want to store hydrogen. It can be fatal with no warning whatsoever and unfortunately is far too often fatal even with well tested safety equipment and knowledgeable users.

These vehicle based 'hydrogen generators' run off the alternator and create a constant stream of fuel for whatever system you are using. Alternators with a heavy load (like the immense one required by a 'hydrogen generator') create higher resistance for the engine and of course drive up fuel consumption. The loss of fuel in creating this stream of hydrogen is not recovered in improved fuel efficiency. In fact the energy loss in converting energy to different forms is significant. If you have an alternator that runs as if it has max load at all times this could be seen as a fuel saver, but not as effective as a new alternator....

It would be as practical as using the engines water pump to power a water-wheel that adds power to the drive-train, or mounting a windmill on the roof for the same function. It's just silly.

BTW The most common use for hydrogen electrolysis is to isolate hydrogen for lab systems, ceramics, rocket fuel, etc. It is a highly inefficient and risky process.
skojolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Earlier this month I signed off on my employer's first hydrogen tank rental bill: $3300 for 44 cylinders. (Government rate - Our share of 60 cylinders) I "can't wait" for the bills when the gas is refilled!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by skojolt
This thread is weird.

It would be as practical as using the engines water pump to power a water-wheel that adds power to the drive-train, or mounting a windmill on the roof for the same function. It's just silly.

excellent post!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:53 AM   #32
Almost There

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Need bus-as-home over RV
Chassis: still looking

I'm new here and I didnt read the whole thread, just kind of knew where it was going, I just have a background in researching alternative fuels so hoped I might be able to comment something useful.

Hydrogen as we know it right now isn't really a fuel, it's a battery. It takes more energy to create the hydrogen than you get out of it burning. Even if made by solar it isnt free, you'd have more luck running DC motors from the solar panels, and a bus is so heavy this seems unfeasible. How fast would it move off the 5hp you might get covering the whole bus in probably $30,000 of panels?

I dont know of any practical way to run anything off water as a FUEL, only a way to use hydrogen as a somewhat poor but still occasionally useful battery. (energy density should be vastly better than batteries, efficiency in converting the electricity of electrolysis or the money for chemical precursors into power far worse)

Nearly all the "fuel your car from WATER!" sites are a scam, most of the rest of them are probably a scam, and the rest of them are horribly misrepresented and amount to something like a scam. Sure you can fuel your car off tap water. You can put in 100kw of electricity and get out maybe 30kw of internal combustion power, instead of 80-90kw you'd get from battery banks. Even with perfect electrolysis internal combustion engines arent that thermodynamically efficient. And chemical sources would be so expensive for the small amount of hydrogen that $8/gallon gas is probably far cheaper.
nearhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:20 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

That is more for a small soldering torch. I hope you are camping for a year between driving.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Handybus
Engine: 5.9 cummins

Quote:
mightybus wrote:It is very easy to produce hydrogen
Quote:
Ice Czar » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:14 am

mightybus wrote:It is very easy to produce hydrogen
incorrect
the hydrogen bonds in water take an inordinate amount of electrical energy to break for the return on that investment
Ice Czar you must be an idiot!!
Ever charge a lead acid battery?
Next time you do, stick your head down there and what ever you do don't light a match.
Hydrogen is easy to produce like mighty bus said, although it might not be very efficient compared to other storage mediums. I don't see where mighty bus was talking about efficiencies.
Your hot water heater, if electric, produces hydrogen gas also, dolt.
Are you actually trying to come across as a retard?
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #35
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65

Then again there is the fact that most folks here don't take kindly to calling someone an idiot or retard.

Please keep in mind that we all have different ideas and opinions about a vast amount of subjects, and the fact that we can disagree with someone or something without pulling down our pants and showing everyone our ass is the reason this forum is so well thought of in the entire skoolie community.

Think About It Newbie.
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:54 AM   #36
Bus Nut

While some of us DO ride in Short Buses, I would say that they are some of the smartest people I have ever met. It takes alot of brains to think of solutions to cramming all the stuff that they get into such a small place.

Plus, its just rude to insult anyone who might have the answer to that problem that you havent figured out that you have yet...

...whats the saying... "Rebuilding Bridges is alot harder then burning them"... or was it "Never wiz in a well you might have to drink from"...
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #37
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65

Also....."Never whiz on your fire, when it pops you will get burned in a very bad spot"
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:52 AM   #38
Bus Nut

Wizzing into the fire isnt that bad, just stand back a little and arc the stream in... But the smell is horrible. And anyways, if your going to play with fire, You might as well toss in a quarter. From what I have been told, it will turn the fire colors... but why waste the quarter.

Chuck a handful of sugar on the fire, while you stand a foot or two back from it... Non-dairy powdered creamer works too. I use to do this by poring the little packets over a lighter flame. Never did loose my eyebrows... but I admit that I light my left palm on fire with a "Hyper Boosted" Lighter while trying to "Throw a Fireball"... how was I to know that it was shooting liquid instead of gas...

...although, the look on my friends face when I opened my hand and my palm lit off was priceless. I remember muttering about "Burning Palms"...
Old 10-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #39
Bus Nut

I remember hearing a story about the Host guy from the Survivor program wizzing on an electric fence in Australia... Something about how he was walking around the "Crew" camp and needed to go... He remembers standing there, then wondering why he was laying down.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Handybus
Engine: 5.9 cummins

Newbusser, I apologize.
I do feel he is a sociopath with delusions of grandeur. Maybe I'm wrong, in which case another apology is in order.. I feel he is a compulsive liar as the only pictures of his bus were copied images from ebay. You'd think he would have the technology to post a few real pictures. But nooooooo. The stupid metal candleholder and sculpture is the same one he posted on the internet three years ago on another web site. I could be wrong. Google his nic and see what you come up with. I do believe he is a passionate sociopath though. Again, I apologize if I have offended anyone.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote