Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Re: Using the engine to power a pump for CF?

what is a cf?

Old 11-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

A centrifuge

It should work, look at this article: Using a Centrifuge to clean my WVO
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Bus Geek

i don't know how they do it, but onan makes generators that are powered by a hydraulic pump off from an engine. They are common on fire trucks now. Obviously they have a vairable valve that allows the hydraulic oil to spin a hydraulic motor at a constant speed regardless of the fire engine's speed.

power steering pumps are excellent reasonably cheap hydraulic pumps, but you wouldn't want to run dirty oil through it. is the idea to spin a centrifuge using hydraulic pressure? is that method of spinning a cf superior to electric? I would much rather install a 2nd alternator and an inverter as opposed to a hydraulic pump, lines, motor, etc.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:54 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Wayne/Lifeguard
Chassis: International
Engine: 345 c.i. International
Send a message via Yahoo to SkoolieDude

I've heard about useing CF's a few years back and knew it was going to be perfect for the WVO scene, as its the only way to clean out burned carbons and things that even a .5 micron would miss. However, and maybe I'm alone in thinking this, but it seems to me that having an inline CF to constantly filter the fuel as its delivered to the engine is way overkill. I would think that haveing a clean fuel tank and lines, and CF the grease into the tank, and then have a 10 micron inline filter as usual would be plenty. I know that some guys put CF's on teir big rigs for the engine oil, and that makes sense as it is constantly being reused and bringing new contaminants, but for fuel i would think once before the tank would be enough. Just seems like more money and headache then needed. In my perfect system i would carry around a seperate pump and CF, and run it through there as i pick up the grease from a restaurant or whatever.

Also, and again maybe i'm just uninformed, but the CF's i've seen for this type of application dont work under pressure on the outlet side. The oil is pressurized coming in but is left to gravity feed on the outlet side, right? anyway, just my perspective..

1985 22' Wayne/lifeguard body, IHC chassis, 345ci, 4 speed
1985 Ford Ranger 4x4, 2.3l I-4 turbo diesel, 5 speed
1975 Mercedes 240D, I-4 non turbo diesel, 4 speed
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo, I-5
...And counting...
SkoolieDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Skoolie

Yeah that would be interesting to see how you could rig that up. I've been using a centrifuge for the past 4000 gallons of grease so far and great results. I just ran it 110V when I would stop and was parked. I'd be interested in figuring this out with you or hear about your results. I have had a lot of experience with wvo and centrifuges so anything else let me know.