Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach
Engine: Detroit 6L-71 Turbo
Veg Filters, what is everyone running?

As we fine tune our system we are coming across many issues as Im sure alot of you know. We bought a filter off Ebay that looked nice, dual coolant and electric heat, but it turns out that its too small for our engine and leaks in air becuase the seals wont hold under our fuel system. We are now looking into a new filter, been looking at the Racor 1000 Series, the !000FH3122 and the 1000FH31230, as well as the fleetguard FH23000. They look like good filters but we have been informed that coolant heat is going to be alot more efficient and none of these filters are coolant heated. Im curious what everyone has running in their conversions, what filters, how are they heated, how they run?? Any info would be helpful. Cheers.

SoulFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40
Re: Veg Filters, what is everyone running?

The racor 1000 somthing or another is what I've been running for two reasons. First, it also comes in a twelve volt heated version. Second, because the racor filters have a water block feature......they swell immediatly which gives you the heads up that you have water in your system. I use a racor 1000(nonheated)filter for my prefiltering and therefore have no worries about my system being contaminated. They are exspensive but not as much as replacing bus parts or an engine. You can by filters for these that do not have the water block for cheaper but for a little extra you get the peace of mind. Coolant heated filters take a little longer to get up to temp but are also a good choice. I live at 10,000ft so that electric heat suits me. I also have coolant encased fuel lines that keep that oil toasty right up to the engine. Let me know if I can be of any more help. RECYCLER
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71N
Re: Veg Filters, what is everyone running?

I have two racor 1000's. One for collection, 30 micron and one in bus, 10 micron with a vacuum guage. The 30 micron collection filter has their 300 watt electric heater built in. The problem with the built in electric heater is that it was made for diesel and only brings the fuel up to 80 deg before the thermostat shuts it off. So I tore it apart and took out the thermostat so I have 300 watts all the time. On the wires to the heater I have alligator clips so I can hook it up or not as needed. On the 10 micron in the bus I have a pad heater wrapped around it, I forget the wattage maybe 250 with no thermostat. I think you could wrap a coil around it and heat it with coolant if you wanted to.
Jerry
Jerry Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote