Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2006, 07:10 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to needabus
Veggie-oil

I was wondering about Veggie-oil converters, and the possiblity of putting one on or in the back of my bus

Old 10-29-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
By converter are you looking for a filtration system, an aseembly to run veggie oil as a fuel, or a biodiesel refinery?

The filtering can be done onboard although I will tell you from experience that it likely isn't going to be real fast, smells a little, and takes up a lot of space.

If you're looking to run veggie oil as a fuel, just look around. There are a bunch of people running a system on their bus, myself included. Jason (lapeer20m) probably has the most well documented system.

If you're looking to put a biodiesel plant in the back of the bus...well...I would urge you to reconsider. You will still be plagued by the filtering issues, but more importantly, you'd be hauling around lye and methanol, both very dangerous. In fact, I'm not sure what the legality of such would be as both are likely classified as hazardous materials.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:33 AM   #3
Bus Geek

here's a couple skoolie.net links:

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic. ... idesel+kit

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic. ... idesel+kit

the basic theory of veggie conversion is that any older (mechanically injected) diesel using an inline IP like most skoolies seem to have can run veggie oil as long as you heat and filter the oil before it arrives at the engine.

The best method for heating is using engine coolant to heat your veggie tank. The vehicle must be altered with a 2nd tank just for the veggie. The stock diesel tank is utilized to start the bus and get things warmed up, then the driver can switch over to veggie and away you go.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:20 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to needabus
thanks for the advice guys