Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

warm enough for straight veggie now...

It now seems warm enough for straight vegetable oil so I'm gonna give it a go.
In my last car, if anyone remembers, I put it right in the tank after a few experiments with socks as filters and stuff, directly scooped from the fish fry place following my fridge experiments with cooking chicken and potatoes (see youtube).
Of course it's a school bus now, with different everything, so I just thought I'd throw it out there (here) before putting it in.
Here's the plan: I have some bottles of various brands of veggie oil that I've been saving for a special occaision so there are no particulates in it. I'll pour it into the filler hose diectly and start the process of priming the system this way. With the benz I slowly broke her in and never had problems except for one time in Georgia when started running rough so I pulled over and removed the filter, banged it on the ground and then drove off. Of course, the 240D had a built in hand pump so it was easy to restart.
I'll also video it and post it on youtube. Wish me luck and/or let me know if you've had success with this!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: warm enough for straight veggie now...

Just make sure all of the water is out. Water can reek havoc on your injection system. I'd have a heated system even if your in FL. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum as it just snowed 10 inches 2 days ago.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

hey thanks. I'm actually not in florida right now but washington. I used to live in Nederland though which is kind of close to breckenridge, or closer than here. i was thinking of just heating it (oil) up in the bus galley, in a pot on the stove, but for the amount I'm going to do - 1.75 gallons - I don't think it'll matter. there's no water in this oil, it's in sealed containers. anyway thanks again.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Skoolie

For a couple hundred bucks you can make a system that will work okay in warmer climates. It's all about startup. If it was 40F last night your fuel will be at that temp, or just a little over, in the morning when you go to start it up. Even if you mix it, it may settle out and be hard to start in the morning. If it's 80F at night I wouldn't worry about it so much in the short term. IMHO though you might as well make a good system so you don't have any issues and can then drive in any climate without worrying. And even if it does work in the short term, if not heated very well and therefore more viscous than ideal, your stressing your pumps and injectors more than they were intended and thus shortening they're life. Spend the money and do it right, you'll make back the investment in no time. I made mine back in my first trip back east.