Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

WMO / Transmission fluid availability?

I'm considering trying to Full-Time a bus conversion. But, I'm leery because I have family that will be spread from the west coast to New England, the Midwest, and my region of preference to spend my time is the far west and the southwest in the mountains, and red rock desert regions. I'm not much of a flat lander.

It occurs to me that a rig might be asked to traverse 1500+ miles, in extreme cases, a full 3,000+ miles at times. That might mean 150-400 gallons of fuel, with costs exceeding $1,300 one-way without considering the return after a visit if I pay at the pump.

My motive is to save money without destroying an engine. I'm told many restaurants are under contract to discard their WVO, but with oil barrel prices being volatile its harder for mechanics garages or certain service stations to really get much money if anything for waste motor oil, or transmission fluid. My homework has arrived at understanding its about 15% gasoline to 85% motor oil, or 5% gasoline to 95% transmission fluid if you're running a blended setup.

Being in the mountains, it doesn't take much to drop to 40o-50o in a night. WMO/WTF blends seem to be easier to manage in colder climates.

My biggest concern up front - has anyone found a widespread willingness of people to either donate oil/fluids or allow you to take what you need for a modest price? Any stories, experiences, tips, examples?

Dem0072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Seems once the WMO, WVO trend start rising the people who have the waste figured out it had a value and now charge for it. Drastically reducing the affordability of the process.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I'm hoping there's still a decently affordable supply of the stuff. I wouldn't mind paying a modest tithing per gallon but if ones spending $4,000 on a conversion, plus market prices for the gas to blend, and the price of changing filters on top of being expected to pay 75 cents to a dollar or more, it pretty much wipes out the ROI.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:06 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
It reminds me of the Gold Mining shows on TV. They make $3m in gold, but you don't see that they had a fuel bill of over $1m, and other expenses to bring the ROI to regular money.

When WVO first started to trend you could get all you want for free. But I wonder with the cost of WVO, and the equipment needed to process and filter it, and time and labor involved, is there ever a ROI?
Old 01-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have been told by people a lot smarter than I am that ATF should be avoided when running WMO.

Apparently there are friction modifiers that can cause excessive injector wear.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Good information, I was only introduced to the ratios and viscosity advantages of ATF, I wasn't aware of its friction liabilities.

Still hoping WMO is viable though, looking to learn more.