Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1955 Flxible bus! I want it..but?

Hello friends!
I know I am probably getting super annoying with my multiple threads on these classic buses! I'm sorry but I really appreciate the knowledge that you guys are sending my way!
NOW WE ARE LOOKING AT A 1955 FLXIBLE BUS.
This is a show bus. It is stunning! The price is pretty good and definitely in our range. Mechanical info:
The bus is powered by a 350 hp Detroit Turbo Diesel 6V-92 with 40 K on the engine (since new, not rebuilt). It has a 4 speed Allison transmission and power steering. The transmission has been recently rebuilt as well as new tires, brakes, hoses etc..there is pretty much zero rust( it has been stored inside). It is lisenced and is still on the road. I am posting 1 pic of something I noticed on the engine photos. I've put a red dot on the part in question although I'm pretty sure you can tell which part I am referring to.. Thoughts or advice?
Attached Thumbnails
20190716_114954.jpg  

Ineedabus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
That's an exhaust manifold. they're cast iron so they oxidize easily. They're supposed to look like that.
350hp is awesome. The kind of power school bus owners can usually only dream of.

I love that you guys aren't so trendy as to just immediately jump on the bandwagon.
These old coaches are cool and if I could afford to buy one I'd totally do it too.

Have you ever seen a Crown?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
these are great busses, like the other classics.. but again all the same things apply.. when you break it what is your plan to fix it?

sure the 6V92 is one excellent piece of Detroit iron, but what if you break a tie-rod end.. or crack the windshield, that allison has trouble.. do you have the means and resourcefulness to repair it or get it repaired?

Ive saidit before and will say it again.. travelling the country in a classic bus is really really fantastic.. but be prepared to not live in it while its being fixed, carry a fat wallet inside a fat toolbox.. you may need both..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
these are great busses, like the other classics.. but again all the same things apply.. when you break it what is your plan to fix it?

sure the 6V92 is one excellent piece of Detroit iron, but what if you break a tie-rod end.. or crack the windshield, that allison has trouble.. do you have the means and resourcefulness to repair it or get it repaired?

Ive saidit before and will say it again.. travelling the country in a classic bus is really really fantastic.. but be prepared to not live in it while its being fixed, carry a fat wallet inside a fat toolbox.. you may need both..
Heck I'd apply that line of thinking to owning ANY bus.
My 2004 IC was gonna cost ten grand to fix and that wasn't even an engine rebuild or anything.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
Bus Geek

blubird used to build factory conversions called Wanderlodges. They were top of the line.
You can buy one now cheaper than someone's used skoolie.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/198...411-5008336007

Just trying to give you ideas.
Post some pics of the Flxible!!! That sounds really cool!
edit- is it this one?

Thats a rare old bird. If you're prepared to buy a vintage bus then that one is pretty special.
I like the Yanmar diesel genny.
That bus is pretty sweet. Price sounds high but lets be real- there are more expensive converted school buses for sale out there.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
so close to the scenicruiser... .. i think flxible called them starliners..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
OMG all the dials and buttons on the bluebird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Heck I'd apply that line of thinking to owning ANY bus.
My 2004 IC was gonna cost ten grand to fix and that wasn't even an engine rebuild or anything.
It's not just the cost. Ever shop for a windshield on a rare vintage vehicle?

What was going to cost $10k on the '04 IC?
Old 07-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
It's not just the cost. Ever shop for a windshield on a rare vintage vehicle?

What was going to cost $10k on the '04 IC?
timing cover. common failure on 2000's DT's.

An MCI windshield shouldn't be too hard to track down. IDK about a Flxible or Crown.
I love school buses but I'm tired of seeing tarted up used school buses sold to newbs for the kind of money they could buy a real coach with.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
There was one on Craigslist for a while. I think it was a 45 if I recall correctly. It was beautiful! Guy was selling it for 150K or so.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:49 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
You sure do keep looking at old rare beauties. If that is your desire then you should not hold back. However learn all you can and be prepared if something does break on the road. That really is going to be your choice, are you willing and able to be stuck somewhere waiting for repairs, and have the means to pay for them. The reality is any bus can have troubles, just the older ones parts can be harder to get if even available. Thing is you may get a great bus and never have any real trouble. No crystal ball to look into ......
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
You want something rare, solid, and an absolute beauty, you might seriously consider this Art Deco masterpiece!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t
Back me up on this, Skoolieville!
Old 07-16-2019, 05:37 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Yes this is the one! did you see the interior photos? Omg so gorgeous! The price is at 55k. We have enough money to do repairs on the bus but I am curious..with only 40k original miles on the bus how likely are we to break a tie rod end? The Allison transmission has been rebuilt. I havent looked into the windshield but I will do some research. . I prefer the look of the classic coaches and dont really want to buy a newer one for 120k + because there will still be things even in a newer coach that I would like to change or add. Plus, this one is 35' long so it can go into the Nat'l parks and such.. nearly everything has been replaced or updated in this bus so I would hope that we wouldnt be looking at tens of thousands in repairs any time soon...or am I just being naive? I dont want to spend 90k on a skoolie because even the nicest custom skoolie will not meet some of our needs not to mention that the custom skoolie builders are booked out up to a year just for a start date. We need something sooner and once I switched my search from skoolies to coaches I knew that we would be happier in a coach. My other option would be a newer model motorhome but I'm not found of the way they look. I'm may be younger but I am an oldie at heart I guess. Obviously if it is a horrible idea and I'm going to be stressing out about getting a crack in the windshield because of disastrous consequences then we will pass
Old 07-16-2019, 05:39 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedabus1 View Post
Yes this is the one! did you see the interior photos? Omg so gorgeous! The price is at 55k. We have enough money to do repairs on the bus but I am curious..with only 40k original miles on the bus how likely are we to break a tie rod end? The Allison transmission has been rebuilt. I havent looked into the windshield but I will do some research. . I prefer the look of the classic coaches and dont really want to buy a newer one for 120k + because there will still be things even in a newer coach that I would like to change or add. Plus, this one is 35' long so it can go into the Nat'l parks and such.. nearly everything has been replaced or updated in this bus so I would hope that we wouldnt be looking at tens of thousands in repairs any time soon...or am I just being naive? I dont want to spend 90k on a skoolie because even the nicest custom skoolie will not meet some of our needs not to mention that the custom skoolie builders are booked out up to a year just for a start date. We need something sooner and once I switched my search from skoolies to coaches I knew that we would be happier in a coach. My other option would be a newer model motorhome but I'm not found of the way they look. I'm may be younger but I am an oldie at heart I guess. Obviously if it is a horrible idea and I'm going to be stressing out about getting a crack in the windshield because of disastrous consequences then we will pass
Honestly guys if you can afford the bus buy it. Enjoy it. And tie rod ends are cheap. You can afford to buy and fix it so get to it and post lots of PICS!
Old 07-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
timing cover. common failure on 2000's DT's.
What are the symptoms of this, and are the failures random or usually at some mileage milestone? My bus has 150K but the engine got an in-frame rebuild at 120K. I don't know what prompted the rebuild (I actually spoke to the mechanic who did it but it didn't occur to me at the time to ask that) so I wonder if it was this timing cover failure.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

I think that is a great transmission. I put 250k+ on my last one. Only one problem. A bit of gasket material had broken free and plugged a port on the governor. Called my Allison guy and he talked me through the repair. About 20 minutes.

I don't have any bad words for the HT-740.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:00 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Honestly guys if you can afford the bus buy it. Enjoy it. And tie rod ends are cheap. You can afford to buy and fix it so get to it and post lots of PICS!
We just talked with the owner for an hour and I think we have a deal ! Woo hoo! Interesting and IRONIC fact, as per some comments earlier) It has a crack in the passenger side windshield !! The owner has a parts guy in California who has supplied many parts for him and he just bought windshield replacements including the rubber for both sides for $700. So that takes the windshield worry off the table! Yay! We wont be taking delivery until September but here are a couple of pics!
Attached Thumbnails
20190716_185053.jpg   20190716_185117.jpg   20190716_185255.jpg  
Old 07-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedabus1 View Post
Ok so it is the picture Eastcoastcb put up. Oh my that is a beauty. I did not see interior pictures but would like too. You know most of us with skoolies are cheap, and the thought of spending that much on a bus just is not in the cards. I still say if it is your dream bus go for it. Any bus can break down.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

That is a super cool old shorty! A much bigger project than we want and too small( if that describes the link you sent me) it's in Utah right?
Old 07-16-2019, 09:09 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Glad to hear a deal is coming together for you. The interior does look nicely done.