Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 02:48 PM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
They are trailer tires. Heck, I've paid the same for my car tires. Whatever they are, don't use them on a bus. They look scary.

John
Which tires are you referring to when saying for me not to use them on a bus?

These are the Options I have found that apparently fit on 8.25 inch rim or 9inch rim according to michelin

12r 22.5 H
295/80R- 22.5 H
275/80R - 22.5

attached is the estimate I got from this RV repair place. They quoted $355 per tier then added bunch of other costs like R&R (not sure what that is) I guess its all install costs, but then on top of final price they put 5% shop supply (extra parts) and 1.5% for credit card payment and tax on top of that for sales. So essentially it may come out to $3k. This quote was only for 12R 22.5H.

Do these tires I mentioned also work?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180531_144038.jpg   MVIMG_20180531_144113.jpg  

Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:26 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Which tires are you referring to when saying for me not to use them on a bus?

These are the Options I have found that apparently fit on 8.25 inch rim or 9inch rim according to michelin

12r 22.5 H
295/80R- 22.5 H
275/80R - 22.5

attached is the estimate I got from this RV repair place. They quoted $355 per tier then added bunch of other costs like R&R (not sure what that is) I guess its all install costs, but then on top of final price they put 5% shop supply (extra parts) and 1.5% for credit card payment and tax on top of that for sales. So essentially it may come out to $3k. This quote was only for 12R 22.5H.

Do these tires I mentioned also work?
Dude, find another place to deal with. Price of tires is $1520 and they've got another $1480 in add-ons?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:41 PM   #43
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Dude, find another place to deal with. Price of tires is $1520 and they've got another $1480 in add-ons?
Where did you find the tires for 1520?

They are quoting me 355 per tire which is 2100 and they are quoting $2677 plus tax plus 5% which would be about $3k.

so they are charging like 900 for "labor"

I just called another place and they recommended 315 80r 22.5 everything out the door for $2900 includes taxes. So i would save about 200 compared to other place.

What tires are you seeing for $1520 if you can point me in that direction I can order them to my house and just tell them to install for me
Old 05-31-2018, 04:57 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

When it comes to tires on a bus conversion you don't need anything fancy.

Cheap Chinese knockoff brand tires will die of old age before you wear them out and will die at about the same time as a name brand.

I would go with the 12R22.5 tires.

The 315's could have some rubbing issues on both the front and rear axles because they are quite a bit wider.

The 295's are going to be shorter and you don't want to lose top end speed.

If you can find tires mounted and balanced for under $400.00 per tire you are getting a bargain. Just make sure the price quoted is mounted, balanced, with new stems, and installed on the bus. $400.00 for a tire sitting on a loading dock isn't much of a bargain to you if you have to spend an additional $100.00 per tire to dismount the old tire, discard the old tire, install a new stem, mount the new tire, balance the new tire and wheel, and then mount the tire and wheel onto your bus.

Extra parts cost could include new lug nuts or thimbles. The odds of all 40 lug nuts coming off and all 20 thimbles coming off without any problems is probably pretty remote.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:09 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Quote:
Where did you find the tires for 1520?

They are quoting me 355 per tire which is 2100 and they are quoting $2677 plus tax plus 5% which would be about $3k.

so they are charging like 900 for "labor"

I just called another place and they recommended 315 80r 22.5 everything out the door for $2900 includes taxes. So i would save about 200 compared to other place.

What tires are you seeing for $1520 if you can point me in that direction I can order them to my house and just tell them to install for me
Sorry, I was thinking 4, not 6, even still there's too much extra's they are talking about , but there are no extra's . $900 is a bit high for mounting, it doesn't cost $150 to change a truck tire. Where's our tire changing member, he'd probably come to you and do it for less.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:14 PM   #46
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
When it comes to tires on a bus conversion you don't need anything fancy.

Cheap Chinese knockoff brand tires will die of old age before you wear them out and will die at about the same time as a name brand.

I would go with the 12R22.5 tires.

The 315's could have some rubbing issues on both the front and rear axles because they are quite a bit wider.

The 295's are going to be shorter and you don't want to lose top end speed.

If you can find tires mounted and balanced for under $400.00 per tire you are getting a bargain. Just make sure the price quoted is mounted, balanced, with new stems, and installed on the bus. $400.00 for a tire sitting on a loading dock isn't much of a bargain to you if you have to spend an additional $100.00 per tire to dismount the old tire, discard the old tire, install a new stem, mount the new tire, balance the new tire and wheel, and then mount the tire and wheel onto your bus.

Extra parts cost could include new lug nuts or thimbles. The odds of all 40 lug nuts coming off and all 20 thimbles coming off without any problems is probably pretty remote.

Thank you for reaching out, also thank you 01Marc

So I found these GoodYear tires 12 r 22.5 for $1791 includes shipping to my house. I am thinkin of ordering them and hopefully the same dealer that quoted me on other tires will just mount the ones I order myself online, why wouldn't they? its labor for them. What should be a reasonable cost for them to charge me for the labor to take old ones off and mount and balance new ones?

The 3 quotes I got from 3 different places were 2900-3200. I think if I get these tires for $1791 I should have to pay more than $2500 total including the labor (so no more than 700 bucks for them to mount them right?

The link on the tires I found are below and I think my Bus has those tires too

https://simpletire.com/goodyear-12-r...38577337-tires
Old 05-31-2018, 06:10 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thank you for reaching out, also thank you 01Marc

So I found these GoodYear tires 12 r 22.5 for $1791 includes shipping to my house. I am thinkin of ordering them and hopefully the same dealer that quoted me on other tires will just mount the ones I order myself online, why wouldn't they? its labor for them. What should be a reasonable cost for them to charge me for the labor to take old ones off and mount and balance new ones?

The 3 quotes I got from 3 different places were 2900-3200. I think if I get these tires for $1791 I should have to pay more than $2500 total including the labor (so no more than 700 bucks for them to mount them right?

The link on the tires I found are below and I think my Bus has those tires too

https://simpletire.com/goodyear-12-r...38577337-tires
I would listen to Cowlitz and use $100 each as a base price to negotiate from. I think that's fair. I would pay that and feel both sides got a fair deal.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:18 PM   #48
Skoolie

Quote:
I would listen to Cowlitz and use $100 each as a base price to negotiate from. I think that's fair. I would pay that and feel both sides got a fair deal.
So I ordered 12r 22.5 h from simpletire.com they have mixed reviews some good some bad...the bad reviews seemed to be that they received brand new tires except the date stamp was from over 4 year old tires...which I believe is unacceptable. They did get tires replaced but I think that's dodgy..anyways I got The Goodyear g661 HSA. They cost $1790for all 6 of them including shipping. I'm shooting to find one of those local tire shops to mount them for me for 100-150 per tire...I think that's reasonable. The quotes they were giving me were 2900-3100 for everything with tires costing 350-370 each. These tires were 280 each. So hopefully going this route will save me 500 bucks. Sucks I have to load them on our truck and drive the bus and truck with tires but if it saves me 500 bucks I guess it's worth it. Hopefully the retailer doesn't send me wrong tires or old dated new tires.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Check truck shops

Why are you using an rv repair shop, they always charge more than your average truck repair shop. Any shop that can work on heavy vehicles should be able to do the tires with no problem. Check around your area for truck repair shops. Some even have mobile trucks that will come to your location to change the tires.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #50
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Why are you using an rv repair shop, they always charge more than your average truck repair shop. Any shop that can work on heavy vehicles should be able to do the tires with no problem. Check around your area for truck repair shops. Some even have mobile trucks that will come to your location to change the tires.
No doubt!

I called the nearest RV repair shop and asked about having a spin weld fitting installed in my grey tank. A 5 minute job that requires a $100 tool that I don't want to buy in order to install one fitting.

They wanted to charge me $91. $170 an hour plus tax with a half hour minimum.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #51
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Quote:
So I ordered 12r 22.5 h from simpletire.com they have mixed reviews some good some bad...the bad reviews seemed to be that they received brand new tires except the date stamp was from over 4 year old tires...which I believe is unacceptable. They did get tires replaced but I think that's dodgy..anyways I got The Goodyear g661 HSA. They cost $1790for all 6 of them including shipping. I'm shooting to find one of those local tire shops to mount them for me for 100-150 per tire...I think that's reasonable. The quotes they were giving me were 2900-3100 for everything with tires costing 350-370 each. These tires were 280 each. So hopefully going this route will save me 500 bucks. Sucks I have to load them on our truck and drive the bus and truck with tires but if it saves me 500 bucks I guess it's worth it. Hopefully the retailer doesn't send me wrong tires or old dated new tires.

Be curious to hear this turns out and if you can find a local tire guy to mount them for a reasonable rate.

I did some research a while back, turns out 12R22.5 shows up in bus applications, but doesn't seem to be stocked much at most commercial tire dealers (makes me wonder who the local school districts use, or do they just special order a big batch of tires at the beginning of the school year and have their spares onhand when they need them). And as you have found out, they seem much pricier than say a 11R22.5 which is currently common on trailers.

You would need to know your rim size in the future to see if any of the alternate sizes would work in a pinch. 12R22.5 can go on a 8.25 or 9.00 rim. I think 315/80R22.5 on a 9.00 or 9.75 rim. 295/80R22.5 will go on an 8.25 or 9.00 rim though. But as others have mentioned, the 295 would reduce your top speed. I did the math, it would be about 3mph less on my bus to go to that size.

I saw one person touting Super singles, or wide base tires, where you run one big tire rather than duals. I don't remember the rational for the change other than I think they were able to increase their top speed by going to a specific sized super single. Considering you would have to replace your rims to run new super singles, seem like a costly upgrade unless you found a set of used rims/tires for cheap that already was the right type/offset wheel you needed.
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:03 PM   #52
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerman67 View Post

I saw one person touting Super singles, or wide base tires, where you run one big tire rather than duals. I don't remember the rational for the change other than I think they were able to increase their top speed by going to a specific sized super single. Considering you would have to replace your rims to run new super singles, seem like a costly upgrade unless you found a set of used rims/tires for cheap that already was the right type/offset wheel you needed.

I've been curious about this mod myself. I assume we can run single wider tires because we are not carrying the load of school kids and don't need the extra support in the back. Some 28's with rubber bands would look interesting on a bus.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:18 PM   #53
Skoolie

Quote:
Be curious to hear this turns out and if you can find a local tire guy to mount them for a reasonable rate.

I did some research a while back, turns out 12R22.5 shows up in bus applications, but doesn't seem to be stocked much at most commercial tire dealers (makes me wonder who the local school districts use, or do they just special order a big batch of tires at the beginning of the school year and have their spares onhand when they need them). And as you have found out, they seem much pricier than say a 11R22.5 which is currently common on trailers.

You would need to know your rim size in the future to see if any of the alternate sizes would work in a pinch. 12R22.5 can go on a 8.25 or 9.00 rim. I think 315/80R22.5 on a 9.00 or 9.75 rim. 295/80R22.5 will go on an 8.25 or 9.00 rim though. But as others have mentioned, the 295 would reduce your top speed. I did the math, it would be about 3mph less on my bus to go to that size.

So I ordered 12 r 22.5 but simple tire.com cancelled the order said they weren't available and that the price on their site was wrong. Based on all the negative reviews I had a feeling this was going to happen. I went with daytons 315s and total price of $2970 including labor and balance etc.

They are supposed to mount them tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:55 PM   #54
Skoolie

Quote:
I've been curious about this mod myself. I assume we can run single wider tires because we are not carrying the load of school kids and don't need the extra support in the back. Some 28's with rubber bands would look interesting on a bus.

I believe those super singles are able to support full GVWR at least on some vehicles.

But if you decided to do a donk school bus, I am sure it will get lots of publicity because this is the closest I could find to a donk school bus.
Attached Thumbnails
car-photo-2005-cadillac-escalade-school-bus.jpg  
Old 06-04-2018, 11:05 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Quote:
I believe those super singles are able to support full GVWR at least on some vehicles.

But if you decided to do a donk school bus, I am sure it will get lots of publicity because this is the closest I could find to a donk school bus.
That thing put a smile on my face. It reminds me of something out Who Killed Roger Rabbit.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:14 PM   #56
Skoolie

Quote:
So I ordered 12 r 22.5 but simple tire.com cancelled the order said they weren't available and that the price on their site was wrong. Based on all the negative reviews I had a feeling this was going to happen. I went with daytons 315s and total price of $2970 including labor and balance etc.

They are supposed to mount them tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about the big bill, but glad you will have good tires. I have the same size, so replacing expensive tires is eventually in my future.

I'd probably consider some tire covers since you will probably never wear those tires out before they eventually dry rot so limiting UV might be helpful

Would be curious to hear how the 315 fit on the bus, and how close they are to rubbing.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:22 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the big bill, but glad you will have good tires. I have the same size, so replacing expensive tires is eventually in my future.

I'd probably consider some tire covers since you will probably never wear those tires out before they eventually dry rot so limiting UV might be helpful

Would be curious to hear how the 315 fit on the bus, and how close they are to rubbing.
315mm= 12.40"
Old 06-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Anything beats a portable.
2nd that, I tried using one in my bedroom & it ran constantly & was loud & didn't cool worth a damn
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:33 PM   #59
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
2nd that, I tried using one in my bedroom & it ran constantly & was loud & didn't cool worth a damn
we tried one just to cool a 1/2 bathroom and it couldn't even hack it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #60
Skoolie

Cool

Quote:
315mm= 12.40"
Update for everyone who has followed us on here. We got the 315's installed on our Crown, and I have a very crazy story that scared the crap out of me as I thought my Bus had been tampered with and or took a dump.

When I paid the tire shop and I went out to start the bus and drive out the bus would not start, it would sound like the bus was trying to start but if I let go of the key it would shut off, I went into my normal okay calm down, lets go through all the possible things that could be going wrong like: Battery, oil, starter among the other MILLION THINGS!!! I was out there for about 30 minutes and nothing, so I went back inside the shop and told them that it was not starting and obviously said the Bus was perfectly fine prior to leaving it with them, as if that would ever help hahaahah. 2 nice shop guys came out and tried to charge the battery in case it was the battery and nothing. about 1 hour later, and I was already in a hurry since I had to be in at work by 9am one of the shop guys comes to me and says "If it helps at all, I parked it yesterday after we changed the tires and I hit the "Engine Shut Off Button" Now this button should never ever be pushed down unless your engine is going wild and won't stop, he said he couldn't get the engine to shut off after he parked it, I don't know if to believe him because that has never happened in the time I have had the bus; but boy was I happy he came clean cause I automatically knew there is an engine reset rod on the engine block that I had to pull out to re open that valve that keeps the engine from turning on, I guess it keeps the engine from getting air or something and suffocates it. Anyways, I almost couldn't pull that rod, so I went inside took the floor board out that exposed the other side of that rod and kicked it down and bammm the bus came back to life!!!!!!!!!! Only 2 hours later and I was 2 hours late to work!! Hopefully I don't get too much **** at work from one of the bosses.

Anyways attached below are pictures of the new tires, Cali drove perfectly fine. What a huge scare I had and man if that guy hadn't had the guts to say what he accidentally did, I would still be thinking of all the other things that could have been wrong.

I also got the electric panel, the rv inlet, the cables in today, the generator comes in today, I think I made a mistake its a manual pull generator, and I sort of wish it was electric start in case I want to mount it under the bus, however there's not much room under. After today I am terrified of trusting anyone with our bus, I called back and thanked the tire shop for the guys who stuck around and helped me and I also told them to tell the guy who had the guts to tell me what he did thanks cause that at least shows honesty, although why wouldn't he have parked the bus, called me and asked if it was okay to emergency shut off the engine... my guess is they turned on the bus, parked it and tried to shut the engine down all in less than 2 minutes, I have heard some engines will not shut off right away if they have just been turned on as a safety mechanism, and maybe that happened with my bus, not sure if that's correct but that's my only guess.

They also noted that one of the wheel studs (piece that the wheel nuts screw onto) is worn where the lug nut goes, and that it should be replaced. Anyone have an idea of price to replace that wheel stud? He said over time the lug nut may come off due to the stud not holding it well.
Attached Thumbnails
MVIMG_20180606_083816.jpg   IMG_20180606_083807.jpg