Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2015, 04:30 AM   #1

1990 sv-92

Hello

This is my first post. Glad to be here.

I'm a nurse and my wife is a teacher. We are in the process of selling our house and educating ourselves about buses and Diesel engines. The goal is to be full timing with 2 dogs. I plan to pursue travel nursing when we get the bus together. We are so excited about the idea of rolling from town to town in between travel contracts.

Would there be any disadvantage to buying a bus with an SV-92 from 1990 that has less than 70K original miles on it? Not sure how often it has been run. The bus is from 1990 as well and is in great shape. Should I be afraid of this because of the age? What questions should I ask in the vetting process? The bus is already built out. Additionally, what questions should I ask about the bus and electric/plumbing systems etc?

Thank You

Randolph

randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
6v-92?

DD 2 stroke. There will be some help here soon.

facebook= Bus Conversion Int'l= lots of info on DDs plus Bus Nuts Online also.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
As far as skoolies goes, 1990 is not really all that old but the miles sound suspiciously low. And there will no doubt be those who love the old 2-strokes here but they are getting hard to find parts for. Personally I'd hold out for a newer generation engine/tranny package. More power, better MPG, more parts available. Any properly maintained diesel should have an expected life of 300-500K miles so anything with twice what you are looking at is acceptable. Condition is the big issue. Both for the drivetrain as well as the chassis. And don't forget the tires. A half dozen bus tires can add up pretty quickly.

Just my dos centavos...good luck on the hunt.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
That would be a DDEC engine, which is all computerized. Great engine but very costly to repair IF you can find someone competent enough to work on it.

For example; I have been helping someone source parts and a fix it guy that has a coach that has a 6v92. They so far have been to multiple shops, driving 2/3's of the way cross the country and have yet to solve the issue. The guys that work on these are few and far between anymore.

Moral of the story is that if you never have any issues with the engine, you will be pleased. That is, if you can find the correct engine oil for it. If you have to have a shop work on the engine, make sure you have a lot of money.

Not trying to shoot you down but want you to know facts before you jump.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote