Old 12-26-2019, 07:53 PM   #1

1996 NewFlyer 40DT Trailer hitch??

Not sure if I am in the right spot for this discussion, but I am thinking of purchasing this low floor bus to convert and live in. Me and my wife have online jobs and can work anywhere...anyways I want to bring my car so I wanted to put a hitch on it, but it is low and has a rear engine. I personally have not seen the bus, it is 300 miles from me, but online I can find nothing as to adding a hitch. We would like to tow a trailer as opposed to just a dolly as backing is easier but if the toe weight would prohibit that we would consider just getting a tow dolly.

If anyone knows if there is frame access behind the rear bumper or if there is only a engine cradle type set up under there, I know the bumper is steel but could it really handle pulling my car? It is only 2500lbs.

Any help would be appreciated...
cmwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:55 PM   #2

sorry 1996 Newflyer 40LF
Old 12-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwings View Post
sorry 1996 Newflyer 40LF
Check to see what brand of transmission it has if it's not an allison it may be difficult to repaired down the road. Putting hitches on RE can be difficult if the frame of the the bus doesn't extend to the rear bumper. A Newflyer may be a unibody construction and would not have a frame. I'm sure someone here has experience with a newflyer.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #4

its a Allison B400R Transmission, and I am not sure what type of frame it has, but I hope someone might have some ideas, I am also concidering a blue bird but I was concerned that it might not be tall enough for me as I am over 6' and I would think raising the roof would be a huge undertaking.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwings View Post
its a Allison B400R Transmission, and I am not sure what type of frame it has, but I hope someone might have some ideas, I am also concidering a blue bird but I was concerned that it might not be tall enough for me as I am over 6' and I would think raising the roof would be a huge undertaking.
It must have a fairly high torque engine with a b400r in it. The other thing to check is the rear end ratio to see if it will be capable of highway speeds or was set up for around town driving.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #6

the dealer told me it will do highway speeds and more but suggested to take it easy since it is a bus!
Old 12-27-2019, 03:35 PM   #7

per https://web.archive.org/web/20030701...o/D35_40LF.pdf
they suggest it is a heavy duty monocoque frame. does this mean there is no standard chassis to mount to?
Old 12-27-2019, 08:08 PM   #8

I found a picture of the frame on the internet and although it is a uni-body it looks pretty sturdy to me, I was thinking maybe I could remove the bumper and mount a 4x4 piece of steel along the entire area and use an RV bumper mount to pull a car on a trailer. Any thoughts?

Tags
low floor bus, newflyer, tow hitch