Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2015, 05:22 AM   #121
Almost There

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Express 40'
Engine: Cummins ISX 650HP
I'll Have some new pics in the next week or so, I decided to have it repainted with some changes........ pic's soon!!

This coach has an Allison MH4000/B500

morefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:24 AM   #122
Bus Geek

Thank you for keeping us all drooling.....great job
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #123
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
lookin forward. hey, what class does your son race?
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:05 AM   #124
Almost There

Here it is......Fresh new look for 2015.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:15 AM   #125
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Thanks for sharing.

You need a way bigger stacker trailer with the same green stripe.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #126
Almost There

https://youtu.be/o4KOILI_JiU

LOUD TURBO at Idle with straight pipe!!

(how do you embed the video so it comes up on these threads?)
Old 02-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #127
Skoolie

Thats a BIG bus.
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:15 PM   #128
Bus Nut

Morefire, awesome job on the build! I love the floor plan, it is what I envision when I can finally move forward with buying a rig. How much did the unfinished shell cost? Just trying to get an idea of what bare coach shells with engine and without engines are selling for (approx). Thanks.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #129
Skoolie

Most parent wake up at 4h am to go to hockey games and practices or will go once every 2 years to an out of town tournament.

You built a second home on wheels to accomodate your son's racing.

That is a far bigger accomplishment than anything I could say about your awesome bus.

Good job sir!
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #130
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Morefire, awesome job on the build! I love the floor plan, it is what I envision when I can finally move forward with buying a rig. How much did the unfinished shell cost? Just trying to get an idea of what bare coach shells with engine and without engines are selling for (approx). Thanks.

Hard to say about the price, because when I bought the shell, I also bought the brand new Cummins engine, PLUS I had them do the metal work and side skins...... everything else in the build I did myself at home.
I spend over $100,000. on this one. I could have done it for a fraction of the price, BUT I wanted the BRANDNEW coach instead of used, and I wanted all the high end features of those million dollar coaches..... Cummins-650 engine/MH4000 trans, PowerTech/Kubota 15K gen, the BIG Aquahot etc......
Old 02-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #131
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblah View Post
Most parent wake up at 4h am to go to hockey games and practices or will go once every 2 years to an out of town tournament.

You built a second home on wheels to accomodate your son's racing.

That is a far bigger accomplishment than anything I could say about your awesome bus.

Good job sir!
Thank you.
This is exactly what you said..... it's used 100% for my sons racing, and was designed for this purpose, from the layout, the HUGE engine to effortlessly pull around a heavy trailer, and even the paint
We absolutely love it, and it's an amazing way for the family to spend the weekends in it.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:15 AM   #132
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by morefire View Post
Hard to say about the price, because when I bought the shell, I also bought the brand new Cummins engine, PLUS I had them do the metal work and side skins...... everything else in the build I did myself at home.
I spend over $100,000. on this one. I could have done it for a fraction of the price, BUT I wanted the BRANDNEW coach instead of used, and I wanted all the high end features of those million dollar coaches..... Cummins-650 engine/MH4000 trans, PowerTech/Kubota 15K gen, the BIG Aquahot etc......
$100k is a bargain considering the upgraded engine and all the high end amenities you built into it. Well done!
Old 02-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #133

Year: TBD
Quote:
Hey Morefire, great thread. Thank you for sharing with the community. If you had an empty canvas again, what would you do differently? What worked for you exceptionally well?
pacificnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #134
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificnw View Post
Hey Morefire, great thread. Thank you for sharing with the community. If you had an empty canvas again, what would you do differently? What worked for you exceptionally well?

Great question, Honestly, I did A LOT of research and studied everyone's builds before doing my own, so I was able to rule out other peoples mistakes and make improvement's before even starting.
Sure there are little things that I would do differently like cable routing, but other than that there is only ONE BIG THING I should have done (I think). I think I should have installed a Slide while the coach was still a shell.
The guys who did the Welding for we would have bought it (used), and installed it for $5000, but I figured It was such a big coach, why bother....... I think If were to do it again, I would add the Slide..

Otherwise, I am 100% HAPPY with all my choices and components.
I'd go out and buy all the exact same components all over again, and go with the exact floor plan.
I believe them to all be the very best of the best, Period.

The power of this coach going down the road, or up hills is UNREAL. Thing doesn't even change gears on hills
Old 02-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #135

Year: TBD
Quote:
The power of this coach going down the road, or up hills is UNREAL. Thing doesn't even change gears on hills
Most of the Coaches I'm looking at have Detroit Series 60s in them which disappoints me. What do you think (HP wise) the floor is for acceptability? 450-500hp? Or is 600+hp the only way to go in your opinion?
pacificnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #136
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificnw View Post
Most of the Coaches I'm looking at have Detroit Series 60s in them which disappoints me. What do you think (HP wise) the floor is for acceptability? 450-500hp? Or is 600+hp the only way to go in your opinion?
The Series 60 is a good engine, but for me personally, 500HP is the absolute limit for minimum power. My coach came with a CAT 450HP/1450LBS torque, and I literally got in the coach, drove it home and hated it!! It felt like a big heavy sluggish vehicle where you had to Plan your passes around slower moving vehicles, and if there was a Hill ahead, they'd all pass you back and that frustrated the crap outa me.

I drove it back and had them Rip it out and install the ISX-650HP/2300LBS Torque and WHAT A DIFFERENCE.
The coach feels like it lost 20,000LBS, I can pass vehicles like I would driving my pick up truck, and the speedometer doesn't change at all on any Hill I've even encountered.

As a passenger bus it would probably be just fine, but once you build a motorhome out of it with all the weight of a generator, batteries, heating system, AC's, onboard water tank, and the weight of the interior cabinetry fridge etc.... It's a different story. Never mind adding a 10,000LBS Trailer.

You'd want either a CUMMINS ISX 15 Liter, or a CATERPILLAR C15 engine to give you this monster Torgue, but they don't usually put them in passenger buses, so you'll either have to have one installed, OR get the Series 60 Turned up a bit which would be the least expensive way.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:56 PM   #137
Bus Nut

Engine swap cost?

Quote:
The Series 60 is a good engine, but for me personally, 500HP is the absolute limit for minimum power. My coach came with a CAT 450HP/1450LBS torque, and I literally got in the coach, drove it home and hated it!! It felt like a big heavy sluggish vehicle where you had to Plan your passes around slower moving vehicles, and if there was a Hill ahead, they'd all pass you back and that frustrated the crap outa me.

I drove it back and had them Rip it out and install the ISX-650HP/2300LBS Torque and WHAT A DIFFERENCE.
The coach feels like it lost 20,000LBS, I can pass vehicles like I would driving my pick up truck, and the speedometer doesn't change at all on any Hill I've even encountered.

As a passenger bus it would probably be just fine, but once you build a motorhome out of it with all the weight of a generator, batteries, heating system, AC's, onboard water tank, and the weight of the interior cabinetry fridge etc.... It's a different story. Never mind adding a 10,000LBS Trailer.

You'd want either a CUMMINS ISX 15 Liter, or a CATERPILLAR C15 engine to give you this monster Torgue, but they don't usually put them in passenger buses, so you'll either have to have one installed, OR get the Series 60 Turned up a bit which would be the least expensive way.
Morefire, what was the approx cost for the bigger engine and labor to install? Did you have to change trannys or do any mods? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:07 PM   #138
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Morefire, what was the approx cost for the bigger engine and labor to install? Did you have to change trannys or do any mods? Thanks.
Not sure exactly... probably over $30K for the swap.

But that's a Brand New Engine with all new parts etc...

I've seen Good Used engines for for $7500-$10,000, and you could probably have it all installed turn key for another $7000-$8000.

My Transmission was a B500, but I had I upgraded to the MH4000. (only a software conversion does this), otherwise, I didn't need to make any changes to run the bigger engine
Old 02-20-2016, 04:33 AM   #139
Mini-Skoolie

Im surprised you didnt sell the house and just live in the coach. i know i would. very well done.
keiffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #140
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiffith View Post
Im surprised you didnt sell the house and just live in the coach. i know i would. very well done.
Nope..... just a weekend warrior set up. Friday night after work, Load up with the family, bikes and supplies, and head to the Motocross track for the weekend, back home Sunday night, then repeat weekly for the summer.