Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #1

Year: tbd
Cad

is there a cad program already with school bus dimensions already plugged in? I know it's putting the design before the horse i mean bus but it will help me to my decision on what to buy and if my plans will work.

kokopelli dream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:02 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Drawing a floor plan of what you want in your bus will indicate how big of a bus you need.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelli dream'n View Post
is there a cad program already with school bus dimensions already plugged in? I know it's putting the design before the horse i mean bus but it will help me to my decision on what to buy and if my plans will work.
The most common CAD file format is .dwg, The CAD program won't have the dimensions "plugged in" you will need to get a file or template file.

Usually you can import and convert different files in common formats in most grades of professional software.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i used sketchup when i built my skoolie out. i found it real handy for designing parts of the bus as i built it.
i never had a whole model of the as built. but i seem to recall that they had models of several buses in their warehouse of downloads but i never used one.

i recently started learning fusion 360 and i like it. i applied for the free license and was granted it. as long as you stay under a $100k sales a year. easy, since its just for personal use.

the better cad programs are going to take a couple weeks of learning to feel comfortable.

room designer programs work ok for space layouts but can be real inaccurate.

for a floor plan your looking at about 7'6" x ~30' depending on the the length of your bus. the wheel wells are located where they will be in the way.

good luck!
Old 02-25-2021, 10:38 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: none
Coachwork: none
Chassis: none
Engine: none
Rated Cap: none
Drawing in "real dimensions" is the essence of computer-aided-drafting (CAD).
When drawing any real-world item, from a map of the known universe to an internal part for a wristwatch, a floor plan or deck layout, the one cardinal rule is that you draw to actual size.

So in AutoCad for example, one of the first tasks for beginning a new drawing or plan is to define the units of measure desired.. Inches, inches/feet, or millimeters, etc.
This is set in a menu.

Next comes setting the resolution. So if for example you choose to work in inches, your next choice is whether you want factional inches to perhaps 1/16th inch, to 1/32 inch, etc.

Or, alternatively you chose to work in decimal inches, to perhaps .01 inch precision.

Having set up the working environment this far, you can then begin to draw the floor plan to actual dimensions from measurements you take of your bus.
And then work from there.

In the CAD environment, you draw real things (as opposed to diagrams for example where there is no dimensional aspect) to their real-world desired or measured dimensions.

You can draw a line (perhaps as a piece of wood board) by simply dragging the cursor with the mouse. Or, you can command the line to be the desired length, from the starting-point you choose.

Some CAD software can be learned in a few hours.
Professional-grade CAD such as AutoCad requires more effort and time.

I know many people have performed bus conversions using only paper and pencil, but I can't imagine it. CAD is a power-tool.
travelinLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:25 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I used a general use CAD program on mine. Cardboard aided design. Worked good.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: none
Coachwork: none
Chassis: none
Engine: none
Rated Cap: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
I used a general use CAD program on mine. Cardboard aided design. Worked good.

Pencil and paper, measuring tape, plastic architect's scale, cardboard templates, pieces of string. Whatever works.

Not as if we're talking so much space anyway... I hope to have that much space with which to concern myself.

I don't have AutoCad personally, and I no longer get paid to use it.
There are several good CAD programs available free and open-source.
And there are several commercial CAD programs for less than $100.

CAD is a powerful tool for planning any space. But for something like layout of a bus floorplan, AutoCad is expensive overkill. There are far cheaper less complicated CAD software available.

There's even free open-source software you can use to model the entire interior in 3D if you're up for it.

travelinLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:23 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Setra
Chassis: S 417
Engine: 12.7 L
Rated Cap: 56
Many CAD programs will let you upload ascale drawing. Then enlarge to correct dimensions.
Jimot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:16 PM   #9

Buses 3D Models

https://www.3dcadbrowser.com/3dmodel...n=buses&page=2
jmsbnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
program cad floor plans