Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #41
Bus Geek

I got an idea

ooohhh...oowwww

make a "drawbed" have each side attached to drivers and passenger side, fold each side up up when not used...each side has 2 legs that fold down, like sleeping on 2 single type beds at once,
should take up about 1 foot on each side, no lose of ceiling ht also

and can double as a couch with only one side down..win...win...

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:18 PM   #42
Bus Nut

What about a loft? If you aren't claustrophobic (or do a roof raise... <grin>)
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
I am open to all ideas (but not a roof raise) and looking into a daybed deal, it sounds like this one turns into a Queen even?
dredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:41 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72

This is how me made a bed in the back due to the fact that we wanted access to the rear. During the day we can raise it up from left to right and secure it up there and at night it will just drop down to cover the door.

You might want to think something like this. Of course, we just went with a plain foam mattress so it's very flexible and if & when the mattress is put on, we may have to cut the mattress so that it'll lift up easier. Clint went with a piano hinge so that it's not noticeable when laying down.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #45
Bus Nut

So I decided that a Queen is TOO BIG for for a Murphy bed on a bus, so the bed simply received a large leg base, and was bolted to the floor and wall. Looks rickety, but is pretty solid with 4x4s, and lots of brackets and bolts.

Funny thing was, as I finished bolting the new frame to the floor and wall, I realized the box springs were wedged into the corner so tightly I thought I might have to unbolt the frame in order to get it out. Dropping the bike lift out allowed just enough room to avoid the disaster I created.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:16 AM   #46
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Check this convertible couch bed that folds up nicely against the wall for storage.
RV Trailer Rollover Convertible Beds Couch Sleeper | eBay I seem to recall someone
in the skoolie group building one from scratch, just can't remember where I saw
it. HTH
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:05 AM   #47
Bus Nut

Yep, time to answer the question – “Where do you poo?” After much consideration, I decided to design and install a combination toilet/shower – in essence a one-piece chamber to do your bidness, and shower up after Looking into alternatives of fiberglass and glass shower inserts that I would have to CUT in order to fit into the bus, and still be unable to “shower”, or at least enjoy a standing shower, I decided I must opt for a sit-down shower. Since that was already the most sane option, I could not figure why I should not add the composting toilet under the sit-down part, saving space. I still have some design issues, including vertical support, a separate urine container, and what to cover the platform with to prevent the wood from rotting. Well, it is a start.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #48
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Nice idea.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #49
r_w
Skoolie

Don't use wood. Get some 3/4 or one inch solid plastic like they make bathroom stall dividers out of. You can laminate and glue layers to make the seat so you won't ever get shower water in the sawdust bucket.

That reminds me: DON'T FORGET sawdust storage!! Especially since it is a wet bath. Gamma lid on a 5 gallon bucket or a pet food container.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:42 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_w View Post
Don't use wood. Get some 3/4 or one inch solid plastic like they make bathroom stall dividers out of. You can laminate and glue layers to make the seat so you won't ever get shower water in the sawdust bucket.

That reminds me: DON'T FORGET sawdust storage!! Especially since it is a wet bath. Gamma lid on a 5 gallon bucket or a pet food container.
where do you get 3/4" plastic?

Good tip on the gamma lid
Seat is already done, only need a urine diverter now, trying to figure that one out this week.
Put solar in today, up date soon
Old 06-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #51
r_w
Skoolie

Industrial supply if you want new. Scrounge from a commercial building remodel job if you want affordable. I picked some up at a habitat used building materials store for $2 once.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:37 AM   #52

Where'd you go? I was very interested in the progression in that I have the same idea for the next 2 years of my life (me, the dog & cat) my house is currently up for sale so I'm trying to establish a solid idea for vehicle/living quarters. I hope you are comfortably making your way through the US checking out all it's wonders & beauty.
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #53
Bus Nut

Funny you ask, as I started another thread for my adventures, since I have not done much to the rig since departure(currently doing some repairs), should have an update in a couple weeks.

Partial adventures here:
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f20/wh...red-12011.html

Comprehensive report here:
3 Years | An alternative to a normal life

I am excited for you, keep us updated on your journey
Old 06-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3
urine diverter

use a screw top gallon jug for your urine diverter, when full add to 4 gallons of water and makes great plant fertilizer
jrtroubleshooter is offline   Reply With Quote