Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2021, 08:37 PM   #1

Help purchasing a shuttle bus for conversion

I can use some impute on a shuttle bus in for sale
It is a Ford 2013 E350 with a Coach and Equipment body.
I called coach and they said it is a lightweight steel body
It is a single wheel in back
The truck is in great condition, no dents, no rust, all lights work, no leaks underneath.
The owner was converting it to a work truck and removed all the seats and wheelchair lift. He installed wood shelves which I plan on removing to make camper.
I took it for a ride and it felt good and sounded smooth
It is a 5.4 Triton
The only downside is that it has 228,000 miles on it.
Could I get any opinion on a truck with that many miles or what might be the rough cost if I had to replace the motor and would it b worth it?
He is asking $6500
Thanks so much

crowjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:27 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Shorty 6 window handicap
Engine: Int 444e
Rated Cap: 21
I wish you better help than this but I have never purchased a vehicle with an engine that had that many miles on it that i did not include rebuilding the engine (and or tranny) as part of my initial plan. As for price, $2000 to do a rebuild yourself or $5000 or more for someone to swap in a rebuilt engine.
kcblkeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I drove a 96 P71 Interceptor to the junkyard with no brakes at 357k and the only time the engine had been disturbed was for the infamous intake manifold failure. Not even timing chains were touched. The car ran perfectly. What sent it to the junkyard was severe rust in the frame and brake lines. Its 4.6 Windsor is essentially a shorter-stroke 5.4L.

So trust me when I say 200k on a 5.4 is nothing, these modular V-8 engines have routinely gone 400-700k in commercial settings, with many as NYC taxicabs, running 24 hours a day. My opinion is that the price is high, but a good engine flush, fresh trans and perhaps timing chains should keep that sucker going another 15-20 years at least under normal non-commercial use. This is one engine that laughs at mileage AND hours. The transmissions are more of a concern than the engines.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
2013 is a 3v 5.4. We have done more long blocks on those than any other engine ever. 11 last year. Some of them run forever many sludge due to the egr and pcv design along with long oil change intervals advertised with synthetic oils. That sludge clogs the oil passage to the cam phasers which is too small. Owners do 2-3 sets of cam phasers thinking that they are the problem in fact it is a lubrication issue and we end up ditching the long block.that and timing chain tensioners and guides can become a nightmare. For some reason the 6.8 suffers less but the potential is there.
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote