Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Re: Jacuzzi Bus IV

I bought a ton of supplies today. Just over $500 worth of lumber, liquid nails, ceramic tile, insulation ect ect...Enough to make the F250 super duty's rear end squat. Well, it has that "new" boiler in the back too.

Tomorrow we hope to make some progress on the bus. Can't get her finished if we don't start working on her a little more diligently.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:49 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I don't recall...have you done the ceramic tile before? My fear was always that it would flex with the body and start spitting out the grout, but if I'm wrong I might like to take that route with my bus.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:46 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

I've been wondering the same thing. I wonder if they make some sort of grout that would give just a little bit? I am planning to build my shower. I'd really like to use some smaller, ceramic tiles in there. You know, the ones that are about 2x2". I haven't seen any that are made out of linoleum. I'm afraid that they might start popping out when I'm driving down the road.
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:31 PM   #44
Bus Geek

nope, never done it in a bus before. Instead of the standard method for ceramic tile, we plan to use construction adhesive to bond the tile to the subfloor...prob luan. Then we're going to use high quality silicone to fill in the spaces between each tile. Seems like it should work. I am afraid that if we use grout and mortar when the bus flexes it'll crack a tile or three. But part of me sais that the bus probably won't really flex, it's pretty tough. I'll let ya know how it turns out.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #45
Bus Nut

you might wanna go with something a little tougher and moisture resistant than the luan. how 'bout marine grade plywood?
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #46
Bus Geek

that's a good idea.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Hmmm...if I can get my propane motor done and find a trailer (I don't want to flat tow that far) that might be all the more reason for me to make an appearance...
Old 12-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Woohoo!

About 24 Volts: Years ago, I drove 18-wheelers that had 24 V systems with two 12 V batteries in series. The starter ran on all 24 V, and the rest of the truck ran on 12 V off one of the batteries. So I can confirm that this is a workable setup.

As for the redundancy of having two alternators -- I love it! Making brackets is not difficult. Start by making patterns and prototypes of cardboard or hardboard or whatever, then duplicate the final design in steel. Remember to triangulate everything, so nothing can flex. With two alternators, you should be able to rig a switching system that would allow you to operate the bus on either alone. Kind'a like dual tires. You would want a Volt meter on each.
Now, if we could only find a way to mount two starters on an engine!

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Switching them on and off might be an issue since it is self energizing. If he had an older alternator with a field input that could be cut off it could be easy. I suppose a person could isolate the mount and switch the ground on and off, collapsing the field in doing so.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:27 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Hmmm... I admit I'm just brainstorming here. I was somewhat thinking along the lines of aircraft dual ignition systems, where you can shut each system off during your pre-flight check so you know the other is working.

Do you mean that it would be a problem to simply open a switch in that one wire? I have a one-wire alternator on my hot rod roadster, but I've never given any thought to how they work. They are most commonly used on boats, I believe. Actually, on the common GM car alternator that I have, the only difference is the regulator itself, which is known at my local auto electric shop as the marine regulator. Commercial grade alternators might be different, I suppose.

Just brainstorming today. Perhaps my brain has Sunday off!

But I'm serious about dual / redundant components -- specially starters. THAT would be a giant leap for mankind.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:02 PM   #51
Bus Nut

I was thinking the same thing about the tile. Using silicone instead of grout between the tiles. I'm not so much worried about flexing, as I am about jolts from potholes or bumpy roads. I was planning to use some more sub flooring to build my shower out of, and try to seal it up really well. But it's not a big space. I might spring for the marine grade plywood. It's not cheap though!
Old 12-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #52
Bus Geek

i just re-watched all of the video's i made for the old bus' ebay ad. Can't wait till this bus nears completion and i'm able to go out and shoot a few more videos. they're a lot of fun.

I was actively working on this video when someone used the "buy it now" feature........then i was too excited to finish it!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 AM   #53
Bus Geek

A person could use a switch on that power wire, Elliot. I don't see a problem there. It actually wouldn't be a switch though...it would have to be solenoid or relay rated for 165 amps of continuous use. That's not really a big deal, but they are a little spendy ("spendy"...I'm from Minnesota). The other issue that scares me a LITTLE about those is that they are normally open which means a minor failure somewhere in the line would mean a major failure in the charging system. But...if both are completely separate and redundant that wouldn't really matter, atleast to get you home.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:44 AM   #54
Bus Nut

it needn't be a solenoid. Just have a bigass heavy duty switch at the battery. This is assuming that the battery is in an accessible place.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:55 PM   #55
Skoolie

I sure hope you all are around with your smarts when I start the electrical on my bus, it's the one part that is voodoo magic to me.
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:35 PM   #56
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c
it needn't be a solenoid. Just have a bigass heavy duty switch at the battery. This is assuming that the battery is in an accessible place.
Very true. But Elliot got me thinking about an airplane where you can kick off either magneto from the seat...and...well...I like big shiny switches on my dash to control stuff. Skoolie bling if you will...
Old 12-04-2007, 08:32 AM   #57
Bus Nut

yeah, a schoolie isn't a skoolie if it doesn't have a controll panel that looks like the space shuttle. Lots of chrome toggle switches with led indicators and plenty of gauges.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:41 AM   #58
Bus Geek

don't forget to add at least one fighter pilot safety switch!!

Old 12-04-2007, 02:23 PM   #59
Bus Nut

I'm planning to totally rebuild my drivers area and make a new panel with lots of switches and lights. I'll work on that this spring.

That's a pretty good bus video. Where's the rest of it? I have been thinking lately about my 5 year bus plan. My wife totally thinks I've lost my mind. Anyways, I'm hoping to have my current bus done by May or June sometime. Well, I don't think that it will ever be done, but it will be ready to camp! Anyways, after that, I want to buy a short bus like a GMC Midbus. That conversion should be quite a bit easier and cheaper I'd think. I want it for a hunting rig capable of sleeping three people. So after that, I want to get the biggest TC2000 I can find. Sort of like Phil's bus. Something that's more economic, faster and bigger! 14 windows at least. I want to convert that bus into a camper as well, but with four bunks instead of two, a dinette, bigger bathroom etc. Once THAT bus is done, I want to take my current bus, gut it, and then turn it into a jacuzzi bus! Somehow, I plan to get all this done in the next 5 years. I could sure think of a lot of uses for a jacuzzi bus.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #60
Bus Nut

everybody knows there is just one use for a jacuzzi bus.

If younger and single, I'd sure as hell have one.