Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Jacuzzi Bus IV

Hmmm... I'm young and single...

...And I just saw such a tub sitting on a curb here in town with a "free" sign on it...

Peter! Cut it again! We're dropping a tub in it!

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #62
Bus Geek

so we made some progress in the past few days...but it's just moving slower than i'd like.....

before

Now

Now we found this really cool stuff to put on the ceiling. It's ceramic beads i'm pretty sure. The guy we're renting the shop from donated it to the project. It's super hard....like a diamond! You can't scratch or skuff it once it's dry...not even with a screwdriver or a knife. It's cool stuff, comes in lots of colors. here is a sample...although we're using a different color.

we put it on with a trowell....we started on the back wall so we would hopefully have the application method figured out by the time we got to the ceiling

The guy is a contractor who does this stuff. I think it's called "energex" it's an insulating exterior product. He said he's gonna throw away all of these 5 gallon pails so he told me to feel free to use as much as we want. Look at the photo, there's a lot of 5 gallon pails!!! Most have already been opened, some are still sealed.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #63
Bus Geek

MY RIGHT ARM HURTS SO BAD!

it took way longer than anticipated, but the ceiling is pretty much done...at least as far as the cool coating material is concerned. The good news i just found out today is that i can still paint the ceiling. That's cool because i really want to use the invisible blue uv paint on the ceiling. It has a really cool texture to it. In retrospect it's been a lot more work doing this ceiling than it's probably worth, but it's going to be really nice when completed, and one of a kind.

I was worried about how i was going to "fix" the ceiling when i first bought the bus, and this is a professional solution. Here's a before photo of the ceiling...

There was a 1/4" drop between the white and rust colored parts of the ceiling. Until we discovered this material i didn't know what i was gonna do... The previous owner removed all of the shelving units and whatever else used to exist in the rust colored area.

BEFORE

FIRST ADDED SOME MATCHING WHITE MATERIAL

THEN STARTED WITH 3 COATS OF FLEXIBLE UNDERCOATING STUFF....FORGET WHAT IT'S CALLED...

I'LL ADD PHOTOS OF THE FINISHED PRODUCT SOON....
Old 12-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #64
Bus Nut

jacuzzi bus V?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-BLU ... dZViewItem
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:14 PM   #65
Bus Geek

i spent the day painting pieces of ceiling samples.....

here's an example of the white paint that glows under UV light.

under regular white light

the same sample under UV light

Old 12-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #66
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Cool stuff! I might have to get some. How well would it hold up on the exterior do you think?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:31 PM   #67
Bus Geek

i've wondered the same thing....wouldn't it be cool to paint flames on the exterior of the bus that glowed wildly under uv lights mounted on the outside of the bus??

here is the website: http://www.wildfirefx.com/product_lupaint.aspx?PID=12

it's latex, so prob not exactly designed for use on the exterior of a vehicle. However, they do sell clearcoat just for this paint that offers protection from sunlight as well as making a tougher coating. You might have to repaint annually....or you might be able to use automotive clearcoat.... I am curious about how much UV light gets blocked using standard automotive clearcoat....

Old 12-11-2007, 11:06 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Hmmm...interesting stuff that I might have to try. The next obvious question is how far does the stuff go?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:31 AM   #69
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Hi Jason,

My uncle painted his car (junker) with the same exterior latex paint, he used for his house. The paint lasted for a few years, until he got rid of the car.

It was funny, looking at a pale green car that matched the house.

Robert
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Hmmm...interesting stuff that I might have to try. The next obvious question is how far does the stuff go?
if i understand your question, it took 2 quarts for me to spray all the flames inside the jacuzzi bus II. About 280 square feet about 10 feet wide x 28 feet long. Even though on the final product not all of the ceiling was covered in blue flames, most of the ceiling was in fact covered with blue when painting it's just that some of the ceiling was masked with tape.

I don't even know if they recommend spraying it, and if they do, probably not recommended through an air automotive sprayer like i used. I had to thin it down to about 50% water to get it to spray well. Since it's a matte finish you would probably do just as well to roll it on.

we got a lot done today...photos to come. The ceiling is finished! we decided it looked so professional that we just couldn't imagine it looking any better if we painted it so we left it alone.

All the tile got laid today, but my camera batt died before i could capture of a photo of the finished product.

We have to go back and grout (silicone) between all of them once it's dry, then the floor will be finished. It looks way nicer than i was expecting!

She's moving right along now!!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 06:22 PM   #71
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56

Looks great! Keep those pics coming. Do you have a drain in the floor for spilled water? Is the floor heated for winter use? Is the tile tilted to drain water? What kind of tile did you use? How much wood do you have down on the metal subfloor? I love the idea of tile in the bus, as my laminate has had moisture damage and is swelling, so may need replacement.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56

So I love how the roof turned out, however I am unable to find any info on the "energex" product. Can you see any other brands or product names on them? Too bad a couple of those couldn't be shipped to spokane washington as that would look very nice in my bus . Thanks Jason.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:30 AM   #73
Bus Geek

been too busy to post lately........my apologies to anyone with dial up, there' s a lot of photos

the blue is some nice fabric. I love the way it bridges the gap between the wall and the ceiling.

this is what keeps us going! fresh snow chilled mt dew

masked off flames for use under the glass block floor.....

here's what it looks like after painting and removing the tape:

and under UV light:

under the block with uv light:

stumbled onto some cultured stone for the front of the wheel wells (it's not done yet, still needs mortar between the stones)

This stuff is simply amazing...just squeeze a little onto the back of the cultured stone and it sticks in place instantly.

more cultured stone:

Old 12-27-2007, 10:12 PM   #74
Bus Geek

i need to post more photos.....

got the stereo all installed including a pair of 15" sub's, sony xplode stereo, amp, 4 speakers, serius sat rado, ect....

mostly finished the couch in the back of the bus. We used over 50 pounds of padding to make the custom comfy couch. The bottom layer is 3" squishy foam with several inches of high quality polyester fiberfill.

i hope to have the interior nearly completed by jan 1....actually, the interior is nearly completed now!
Old 01-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #75
Bus Geek

added a few video's for anyone who'd like to see....

jacuzzi bus construction episodes 1 through 3

below i added the new 24 volt alternator....

Old 01-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #76
Bus Geek

bus is coming along well. i'm reasonably confident that she'll be finished before the end of jan

tomorrow i plan to spend a good part of hte day creeping around under the bus tracking down all the air leaks. plastic DOT air hose is kinda pricey, but i bought some today. also plan to re-plumb the air bags to get the entire bus to kneel instead of just the front.

the interior is nearly finished, lots of little trim pieces to install,

bought some 2x10's today so i can make blocks to drive the bus onto. Unlike my other skoolies, it's really difficult to slide under this thing.

still need to buy the flat screen tv

one of the only big projects left is exterior paint. I'm leaning toward white....also exploring the possibility of not painting it at all.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #77
Skoolie

Can't wait to see pictures, Jason. So when do you start into the limo business?

Hey and on a side note. Since you're obviously (way more than I'll ever be) so incredibly damn clever. I was wondering if you wanted to bring yourself, your smarts, and one of those hydraulic pistons over for a barbeque. My slideout has gotten heavy. Lots of good looking women here in TX. and cold is only 45F.

And on another side note. That liquid nails instant stick stuff is pretty good? Never used it.

Friday good for you? Ribs, chicken and sausage?

We want pictures!
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #78
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprobate
Can't wait to see pictures, Jason. So when do you start into the limo business?

Hey and on a side note. Since you're obviously (way more than I'll ever be) so incredibly damn clever. I was wondering if you wanted to bring yourself, your smarts, and one of those hydraulic pistons over for a barbeque. My slideout has gotten heavy. Lots of good looking women here in TX. and cold is only 45F.

And on another side note. That liquid nails instant stick stuff is pretty good? Never used it.

Friday good for you? Ribs, chicken and sausage?

We want pictures!
i posted a few youtube video's of the bus.......i'll try to get more photos/video tomorrow.

at this time i don't plan run a limo service....but i might change my mind down the road. i would like to build a few more though.

i loved the liquid nails instant stuck stuff when i first used it, but discovered that it's pretty wimpy long term. I used it to hold fake stones to wood, and it did a great job, but the next day or 2 all of the stones fell down.

how does mid-february/early march sound? i want to take a couple weeks and head somewhere warm this winter.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:10 PM   #79
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
how does mid-february/early march sound? i want to take a couple weeks and head somewhere warm this winter.
Ohhh I wanna go.. lets stay off the beach this time.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #80
Bus Geek

Hey Jason-

How do you have that alternator tensioned? I see it has the pivot bolt. Is that all it is is a friction hold or is there a jam bolt like a lot of OEM applications? Also, does it just run off a free pulley or does that belt drive something else? I'm thinking that mount was part of the engine cradle. Does it move with the old Detroit? I liked the setup. It was cool the way you put it over to the side next to the other one and out of the way a little.