Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #121
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Don't forget the altimeter and turn and bank indicator!
How could I?

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #122
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Wow, turn & bank indicators? Don't forget the depth gauge as well....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #123
Bus Nut

Frame / Window Remediation?

Now that "winter" is moving in I'm needing an enclosed area to remove the windows and skin of the bus, but before I do that, I think I need some advise.

Has anyone remediated their bus frame and windows out in the open during cold weather? How did you do it? All the UHaul / storage places are filled up (I didn't realize I needed such a place in time to get one...). Any other ideas for a place to do this at?

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #124
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
wow that all the Uhaul spaces are full... there must be a lot more RV's in the indy area. . the place where i have mine in columbus oh still has quite a few spaces open.

one of the Uhaul centers here in columbus has covered astorage space but doesnt have it listed on their website.. might want to do google streetview or earth on possible sites to see if they in fact have storage but not listed.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #125
Bus Nut

There are a LOT of RVs around. I still see people moving about in them on my way to and from work.

I'm investigating storing / working on the bus a county fairgrounds, but the contact I have to find out if I can or can't isn't communicating with me right now. Thus I'm trying to work out other arrangements, but coming up empty. Guess work on the bus proper is going to have to stop until better weather arrives in the spring. I hate loosing 4-5 months....
Old 11-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #126
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Wow, turn & bank indicators? Don't forget the depth gauge as well....
You also need a vertical speed indicator, at least on final approach.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #127
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Or...you could go the fancy electronic route that Cadillac might take.

Glide Slope Indicator!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:27 PM   #128
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Or...you could go the fancy electronic route that Cadillac might take.

Glide Slope Indicator!
Or just fake it, and feed the backup horn into your headphones.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #129
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: 35' Low Floor
Engine: Cummins ISM CM570
Rated Cap: 32+53
Or go old school, fit an ADF so you can tune in the game...
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #130
Bus Crazy

That would be a pip, to see a skoolie trundling down the road with a little basketball hoop mounted vertically on top, turning to tune in the ADF, ending up driving directly into the headwind......
Old 11-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #131
Bus Nut

Ok, in an attempt to recapture the thread, I have a question for ya all - I have a big, empty area forward of the steer tires and under the driver. What can I put there? Tankage would slosh causing steering issues; batteries are heavy (generally speaking); steering linkages must be worked-around; etc.

Any ideas?
Old 11-28-2017, 03:15 PM   #132
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
seems like a perfect place for storage.. and that frees up one of the opther storage areas.. might also be a great place to put a mini-split compressor unit if you are using mini;'s.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #133
Bus Geek

Quote:
Ok, in an attempt to recapture the thread, I have a question for ya all - I have a big, empty area forward of the steer tires and under the driver. What can I put there? Tankage would slosh causing steering issues; batteries are heavy (generally speaking); steering linkages must be worked-around; etc.

Any ideas?
Mini grow closet?
Old 11-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #134
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
seems like a perfect place for storage.. and that frees up one of the opther storage areas.. might also be a great place to put a mini-split compressor unit if you are using mini;'s.

-Christopher
Ooo, minisplit compressor area.... I like, I like....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Mini grow closet?
Oh, you've outdone yourself on that one, ECCB.... I've been looking for a way to grow fresh veggies in the bus. I did a "bubbleponics" experiment about three years ago now, and the tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, broccoli, and garden beans were just splendid. I only had about $250-$300 in supplies, most of it reusable.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #135
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Ooo, minisplit compressor area.... I like, I like....

Oh, you've outdone yourself on that one, ECCB.... I've been looking for a way to grow fresh veggies in the bus. I did a "bubbleponics" experiment about three years ago now, and the tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, broccoli, and garden beans were just splendid. I only had about $250-$300 in supplies, most of it reusable.

MD,

Correct me IF I'm wrong..... However, I have a suspicion the "grow" closet was intended for other plant matter..........

M
Old 11-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #136
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
MD,

Correct me IF I'm wrong..... However, I have a suspicion the "grow" closet was intended for other plant matter..........

M
Old 11-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #137
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
MD,

M
Any kind of herbs or veggies...
What I'd use it for and what Marky would use it for may differ, but if you have dead space to fill it would be a unique feature!
Old 11-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #138
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Any kind of herbs or veggies...
What I'd use it for and what Marky would use it for may differ, but if you have dead space to fill it would be a unique feature!
I'll have to contemplate that one....
Old 11-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #139
Bus Crazy

At the risk of sounding serious here, I've seen a few coach buses store a spare tire in that area. Fold-down door in the front; slide out the spare. Maybe just a generic storage locker?
Old 11-28-2017, 05:06 PM   #140
Bus Nut

Changing gears on you....

Quote:
For your amusement I recount here my "learning moment" I had today:

I was about 25mi from home when the "hot engine" idiot light (and buzzer) came on (I have no engine temperature gauge on the dash). Since my experience with "hot engines" is to get them to the side of the road and shut them down pronto (or you have a damaged engine), that is just what I did. So here I am on the side of a 6-lane highway wondering "oh great, I just damaged my engine somehow."

Well, after talking to the guy who sold me the bus (man, I'd buy another from him), my bus has 3 "levels" of hot-engine'ness. The first really no more than a warning, i.e. "find some place safe to park and let 'er cool off" - which is where I was when I pulled to the shoulder. The second derates the power so that you can only go 25mph or so. The third is a complete shutdown.

So, I didn't have to pull off so quickly - I could have continued to the next exit and found a nice parking lot (which is where I found the problem). By the time I did all that the engine cooled to the point the idiot light went off.

As it turns out the one belt that the mechanic didn't replace earlier this year was the belt that turned the hydraulic pump that feeds the cooling fan.... Well, it needs to be replaced now....

So, I turned around and headed back to the mechanics. I took it easy and the "hot engine" light never came on again. Thank God that it was about 35F this morning....

I'm glad I'm learning these things while only tens-of-miles from home instead of hundreds or thousands....
More information about my "hot engine" episode:

My mechanic told me that the hydraulic pump belt had been replaced back in August. However, he can spin the pump by hand even now (not the best of tests, but detects easy stuff like a seized bearing). Therefore, something else happened that locked the hydraulic pump long enough to cook the belt.

I did have a hard-braking incident that morning - minivan in front of me stopped short at a light. I should have anticipated it, though, his driving didn't look "quite right". Anyway, right after the bus came to a stop, I looked in my mirror and saw a bunch of white smoke. At first I thought it was my brakes, so I turned off and stopped to check it out. There were no warning lights on the dash. Wheels felt solid and nothing seemed out of place in the engine compartment (it was only a cursory investigation, though). I really didn't smell anything amiss, just maybe some hot brakes. I climbed back aboard and gingerly checked my brakes for about 2-3 minutes and they seemed fine, too. So, I continued. About 20 miles later the "hot engine" light came on.

I'm guessing here, but any ideas why a hard-brake would potentially cause the hydraulic pump to seize, if even for a short time? I'd like to figure out the root cause and learn something from the experience. I hope I didn't break anything....

Tags
new flyer viking d45hf