Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-31-2017, 10:22 AM   #221
Site Team
 
JDOnTheGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: The West
Posts: 1,189
Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Just FYI, this pic of yours has me pestering the local drone guy at work. I might have to jump on this band wagon too.
Sorry Bob, I know nothing about drones. Or, even what that is...

However; I have gotten very good at climbing trees in my old age.
__________________
JD - Full timer out west
Missy - 1998 MCI 102-EL3 - 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures & Build
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:24 AM   #222
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,711
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Sorry Bob, I know nothing about drones. Or, even what that is...

However; I have gotten very good at climbing trees in my old age.
Drones are cheaper than broken hips.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:03 PM   #223
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SW New Hampshire
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Drones are cheaper than broken hips.
Amen, brother!
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:25 AM   #224
Site Team
 
JDOnTheGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: The West
Posts: 1,189
Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I finally got around to putting the hinges and gas springs on my bed frame. This is so I can use it for storage. Nothing terribly fancy or unique but sure nice to have!



Pretty simple - three door hinges and two gas springs (and mounting hardware). The springs are 20" long and 110 lbs of force each. That seems to be about right for my mattress.
__________________
JD - Full timer out west
Missy - 1998 MCI 102-EL3 - 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures & Build
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:14 AM   #225
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,711
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
The springs are 20" long and 110 lbs of force each. That seems to be about right for my mattress.
Nice, I was just going to ask that so since you already answered I'll ask another question. Did you measure it some kind of way or did you just get lucky?

3/4" ply? Memory foam or something else? I'd like to do the same but I don't want it flapping up every time I hit a pothole. I also don't want to have to bench press 200 lbs while holding a chainsaw in one hand. The gf doesn't like the idea of a Murphy bed but I think that's just the semi permanent up position she doesn't like. The bed can stay down but needs to open one handed for the storage. Over sprung could be fixed with a simple latch but I'd rather have it just under than over the needed force.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:34 AM   #226
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,711
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Oh and damn!!! There's not much room on the side of that mattress. I'm assuming king but is it a california king turned sideways???? I definitely want more room to get around it than that. I'm thinking full size. GF is wanting at least a queen. As I end up sleeping with the same amount of space (about 16") in a twin as I get with a king (damn wemon and dogs)... I'm going to try to do just a full. Something between full and queen would be ok except for the sheets.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:19 AM   #227
Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Lake geneva Wisconsin
Posts: 199
Year: 93
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 idi
Looks great JD. Lots of storage there. plan on getting a king size memory foam and cutting it to just smaller than a queen. That way the excess foam i can use as bench coushins.
Greatestrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #228
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,711
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatestrr View Post
Looks great JD. Lots of storage there.
Looks like he should have made a cut out in the floor and put in a hot tub.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #229
Site Team
 
JDOnTheGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: The West
Posts: 1,189
Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Did you measure it some kind of way or did you just get lucky?

3/4" ply? Memory foam or something else? I'd like to do the same but I don't want it flapping up every time I hit a pothole. I also don't want to have to bench press 200 lbs while holding a chainsaw in one hand.
Good questions Bob! I mostly got lucky with the springs. I had a similar setup in my last motorhome and knew the springs had to be pretty strong so that was my starting point.

Details of the bed frame are here - I used 11/16" plywood as it was more affordable than 3/4" (for whatever reason). The mattress is a regular queen size and is the pillow-top style. It is not light but not ridiculously heavy either. It stays down by itself and requires enough of a tug that I don't think it would ever open by itself - even a big bump.
__________________
JD - Full timer out west
Missy - 1998 MCI 102-EL3 - 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures & Build
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #230
Site Team
 
JDOnTheGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: The West
Posts: 1,189
Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatestrr View Post
Looks great JD. Lots of storage there. plan on getting a king size memory foam and cutting it to just smaller than a queen. That way the excess foam i can use as bench coushins.
Nice! I am not vertically challenged so even a queen is longer than I require. An inch or two shorter would make a big difference in 'walk around space'.
__________________
JD - Full timer out west
Missy - 1998 MCI 102-EL3 - 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures & Build
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #231
Site Team
 
JDOnTheGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: The West
Posts: 1,189
Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Looks like he should have made a cut out in the floor and put in a hot tub.
Ohhhh.... now THAT is an idea!!!

Hmmm.... Maybe I'll make the frame another foot or two taller, waterproof it, and put the water inside. The mattress is then the 'insulated top' for the hot tub! I could even use engine heat and a heat exchanger to keep it hot!

Oh boy... I suppose if I did that there would be a horde of ladies hanging around my place.... Maybe I better not...
__________________
JD - Full timer out west
Missy - 1998 MCI 102-EL3 - 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures & Build
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:11 AM   #232
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,711
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
I used 11/16" plywood as it was more affordable than 3/4" (for whatever reason).
Phfft close enough. I don't know why I need 191/256ths plywood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
I am not vertically challenged so even a queen is longer than I require.
Sounds as tho you are. Anything shorter than 74" and my feets are going to be hanging off the end.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #233
Site Team
 
JDOnTheGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: The West
Posts: 1,189
Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Oh and damn!!! There's not much room on the side of that mattress. I'm assuming king but is it a california king turned sideways???? I definitely want more room to get around it than that. I'm thinking full size. GF is wanting at least a queen. As I end up sleeping with the same amount of space (about 16") in a twin as I get with a king (damn wemon and dogs)... I'm going to try to do just a full. Something between full and queen would be ok except for the sheets.
No, sadly not (much room to walk around). There is "enough" but I have to sort of step side-to-side to get by. It is a regular queen. I debated about a shorter or even custom size bed. I sure do not NEED a queen - I guess I got hung up on "standard" (for sheets, blankets, etc.). I even considered a King as I figured I should have plenty of room if a band of Amazonian Warriors ever decided to have their way with me. However; it seems there are not many of those wondering around the forests of North America - or they have kept their distance, so far.

I've also considered rotating it 90 degrees. I keep telling myself that it is more difficult to make the bed that way but considering how often I actually do that... well... pretty weak excuse.
__________________
JD - Full timer out west
Missy - 1998 MCI 102-EL3 - 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures & Build
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #234
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,711
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Ohhhh.... now THAT is an idea!!!

Hmmm.... Maybe I'll make the frame another foot or two taller, waterproof it, and put the water inside. The mattress is then the 'insulated top' for the hot tub! I could even use engine heat and a heat exchanger to keep it hot!

Oh boy... I suppose if I did that there would be a horde of ladies hanging around my place.... Maybe I better not...
With your ceiling, might I also suggest a disco ball.

Sent the gf your framing pic. She mentioned the windows being block. So, make the bed platform two piece. Have it so they fold down along the sides and use them as benches. Be sure to leave enough room under them for mini fridges. Nothing worse than getting a chill while fetching beer.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #235
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,711
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
......................
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #236
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,711
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
I guess I got hung up on "standard" (for sheets, blankets, etc.). I even considered a King
I need the length of a queen but don't need the width. I foresee tucking the excess sheet under the mattress in my future.

Quote:
as I figured I should have plenty of room if a band of Amazonian Warriors ever decided to have their way with me. However; it seems there are not many of those wondering around the forests of North America - or they have kept their distance, so far.
Wandering the wrong forests maybe? Just don't forget the hobbits need loving too. I has a little Ginger hobbit. She won't let me have an Amazon. I told I'd share the Amazon with her and still no dice.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:06 AM   #237
Site Team
 
JDOnTheGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: The West
Posts: 1,189
Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Well Bob, I took your advice and looked for Hobbits yesterday. I found what I thought was a village in the following photo but no Hobbitses any where to be found. I am clearly doing something wrong...

__________________
JD - Full timer out west
Missy - 1998 MCI 102-EL3 - 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures & Build
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #238
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,711
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Well Bob, I took your advice and looked for Hobbits yesterday. I found what I thought was a village in the following photo but no Hobbitses any where to be found. I am clearly doing something wrong...
Clearly. Hobbits are short but they aren't pixies.



Quote:
VERY nice photo tho. Good detail especially for compressed and resized. What camera?
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #239
Site Team
 
JDOnTheGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: The West
Posts: 1,189
Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Clearly. Hobbits are short but they aren't pixies.
DOH!!! See!?!? I need help! No wonder I wasn't finding any of them... I'm probably looking in the wrong places for Amazonian Warriors as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
VERY nice photo tho. Good detail especially for compressed and resized. What camera?
Thank you! It is a Sony Alpha A6000. I have been very happy with it. As you say, squishing photos down to a reasonable size for the web has a way of making them less good.
__________________
JD - Full timer out west
Missy - 1998 MCI 102-EL3 - 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures & Build
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #240
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 1,106
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Gorgeous! Is this in CO?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
conversion, lithium, mci, solar

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×