Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #261
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
run that thru a copper/brass towel bar...
Ohhh.... I wish you would have suggested that before all that wire was buried under the tile!! Great idea!

JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #262
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
JD, I cannot see where the shower drain has a problem as you say. Can you explain? Fine looking job and nice to get some things accomplished that you wanted to.
Thank you John! I was kind of hoping nobody would ask about the drain....

The short story... I had planned a typical shower installation and drain using a membrane over the mortar base (under the tiles). However.... I ran into a vertical space problem. I could not go up as the shortest glass shower 'walls' that I could find were 72" and I could not go down as the shower sits right over a whole bunch of air conditioning equipment. I was going to remove that air conditioning equipment but have recently been reconsidering that plan - so it remains.

Real plumbers should stop reading at this point....

I ended up creating a "gutter" style drain using a length of 1" PVC cut in half (length wise) and embedded it in a trough in the mortar base. The mortar base was then waterproofed with a sealant/paint (AquaDefense) and the PVC gutter drain embedded in this waterproofing. The tile is installed over the PVC edges further locking it in place. The PVC returns to an uncut pipe in the shower curb and flows out the side (along the wall) where it drops down thru the floor, thru a p-trap, and then into the tank.

My fear is that there may eventually be some leaking around that PVC pipe/gutter. I am hoping I will notice when that happens - well before all the wood is rotted and damage is done. Maybe by then I'll have decided what to do with the air conditioning equipment.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #263
Bus Crazy

The waterless shower now has water! YAY!

Old 09-11-2017, 06:18 PM   #264
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Thank you JD for the above shower drain explanation.

Sometimes one has to improvise right?

haha Well done and congrats on the water flowing. Does it run away ok?

I can just see it now a parade of women using the shower, great bait!

John D
Old 09-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #265
Bus Crazy

Up until a couple weeks ago, I had been using a Wagan ProLine 5000 watt modified sine wave inverter. It worked fine. However; the internal cooling fan constantly cycled on and off - regardless of the amount of work it was doing. This really drove me crazy. Have I previously mentioned that I dislike man-made noise?? If not, it is true - I really, really don't care for it.

More problematic, the TruWave induction cooktop would not work with this modified sine wave and the Samsung refrigerator made a bit more noise. That was all enough to motivate me to switch to a true/pure sine wave inverter.

I decided I wanted a*Go Power! GP-SW3000-24. This is a 3000 watt, 24 volt pure sine wave inverter. Less total power output but I could afford the reduction.

In spite of the Go Power! Inverter having a lower total output, it is a physically larger unit. Thankfully, I had the necessary space and installation was pretty simple. A little re-wiring was required due to different wire lengths but nothing difficult.

So far, I am happy with it. It runs nearly silent, the cooktop works, and the refrigerator seems happy.

I was organizing my basement the other day and I heard a very slight hum that I had not heard before. I started looking around and found that it was the cooling fan on the Go Power! Inverter. That was the first time I heard it in more than a week (of hot temperatures) and it was only audible when sitting right next to it. VERY nice!!

I LOVE QUIET!!
Old 09-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #266
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I have the 1500 watt version of ther Gopower and love it! even when inside my Hot sun-baked Bus, I can fire it up and it works every time!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #267
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Sometimes one has to improvise right?
That is for sure!! If the conversion goes according to plan... well... that would just be weird!

Quote:
Does it run away ok?
Not enough data yet, I'm afraid. I've been catching the 'test' water in a bucket as I didn't have all the grout done. Now the grout is done but the grout sealer says to give it 72 hours. So, very soon we'll know...

Quote:
I can just see it now a parade of women using the shower, great bait!
Hmmm.... I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad... A bunch of dirty women hanging around....
Old 09-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #268
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Does it run away ok?
Alrighty - did some testing. I'm parked on a fairly level spot right now and the water 'gutter' drain works just fine. I can see that I'll have issues if parked front end up - kind of expected.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #269
Bus Crazy

Back out to the big scary forest. A tad bit cool up at 8000' at night but, after a hot summer, I'm sure not complaining!

Old 09-20-2017, 07:07 AM   #270
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Back out to the big scary forest. A tad bit cool up at 8000' at night but, after a hot summer, I'm sure not complaining!
I doubt that first part but then I woke up to 24° in Denali and didn't have a problem with it once I got moving.

You have a habit of finding nice mountains to park under. You need to go buy yourself a drone. FYI, the last set of pics was enough to make me go and grill the local RC guru here at work. Looks like about $500 for a proper setup (used). About $900 new. Since the RC club guys are always upgrading their toys to the latest and greatest, I can get used fairly easy. I just need to set a play date with him so I can go out and talk to the RC guys and see who has what for sale. $500 to spare might be the longer wait tho.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #271
Bus Crazy

Hi Bob - regarding the aerial photo taker... You may already know but just in case, there are some that more like RC planes and some that are photo platforms. The former are more challenging to fly and more capable flyers (loops and such), the latter are incredibly stable, practically fly themselves, and come equipped with a very good camera (UHD 4K), camera mount (gimble), and software that provides all sorts of photo/video capabilities (follow me, orbit, various flight modes, etc.). They each do their intended mission very well but don't cross the line very well.

I haven't watched prices for the last couple years but at that time, the photo platforms were fairly spendy once the necessary gear was added. However; they are tremendous fun and produce fantastic photos and videos for ones collection.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #272
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Yep, I'm not sure that line is black and white anymore. I want to say the guy I work with is on the photo side of the fence but he also goes to competitions that are obstacle courses. Flying thru loops, around and thru tress, etc. and they are doing it by the on board camera.

The reason I say he's on the photo side is he's trying to break in to the commercial usage side of the business. He was talking about working as a consulter because there aren't many trained pilots. Also talking about doing photo work. Overfly your property you're trying to sell, chasing you in your race car, etc. Not sure what all he's looked at.

Anywho, he gave me a couple of brand names for the platforms (includes camera) and told me what to look for. The cameras were a minimum of 1080P I think. Not that it's legal or that I would but he knows I'm looking for something to take pics of National Parks. Nat Geo needs special permission to fly in National Parks and they have far better credentials, budget, equipment, and talent than I do.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #273
Bus Crazy

Finally got the medicine cabinet up! Getting the cabinet mounted was easy - creating a structure to which it could be mounted it was the time consuming bit.

Taking a good photo of it without a wide angle lens has proven rather difficult - this is the best I can do.

Of course, I cracked one of the mirrors in the process while kicking it around on the floor. Thankfully, the crack adds a great deal of character. Plus, it's kind of fun- like those goofy mirrors at the carnival.

The back splash is the same type of tile I used on the shower/bathroom wall. It hasn't been grouted yet.

Currently at a nice spot in Nevada.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:37 PM   #274
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Wow

Quote:

Of course, I cracked one of the mirrors in the process while kicking it around on the floor. Thankfully, the crack adds a great deal of character. Plus, it's kind of fun- like those goofy mirrors at the carnival.

Wow, JD, that loks great! I like the look of the bowl sink, but never owned one. Is one of your crew an interior designer, or just have good eye? Looking good !

Love the postcard you photoshopped your bus into.

I'm sorry about the mirror and 7 years of bad luck.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #275
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Finally got the medicine cabinet up! Getting the cabinet mounted was easy - creating a structure to which it could be mounted it was the time consuming bit.

Taking a good photo of it without a wide angle lens has proven rather difficult - this is the best I can do.

The back splash is the same type of tile I used on the shower/bathroom wall. It hasn't been grouted yet.

Gorgeous work in the bathroom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #276
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Wow, JD, that loks great! I like the look of the bowl sink, but never owned one. Is one of your crew an interior designer, or just have good eye? Looking good!
Thanks Rusty! I have ZERO interior design skill. I keep asking a couple family/friends to help me with colors. I know what looks good when it is done but looking at little color charts or squares of material?? Forget it - my brain has no ability to process that.

Quote:
Love the postcard you photoshopped your bus into.
HA! Yes - lots of "work"!

Quote:
I'm sorry about the mirror and 7 years of bad luck.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #277
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
Gorgeous work in the bathroom!
Thanks WW! Seems like just a few months ago that it was just a toilet sticking up out of the floor in a giant empty tube. Now - fairly usable!
Old 10-14-2017, 07:02 PM   #278
Bus Nut

Quote:
I think the 7 years of crazy luck started when you bought the bus, cracking the mirror is just a formality

Looks good! I also like the bowl-sink because it looks like it leaves more room in the cabinet under it (since there's only a drain, not a sink hanging down there.)
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #279
Traveling

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
I also like the bowl-sink because it looks like it leaves more room in the cabinet under it (since there's only a drain, not a sink hanging down there.)
That is not an insignificant observation.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #280
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I think the 7 years of crazy luck started when you bought the bus, cracking the mirror is just a formality
HA!!

Quote:
Looks good! I also like the bowl-sink because it looks like it leaves more room in the cabinet under it (since there's only a drain, not a sink hanging down there.)
Very true! The room under the sink is nice. I may be a bit odd but I also like having the sink higher/up closer to my face. I'm not tall but it just "feels" better not being sunk down in the counter.

Tags
conversion, lithium, mci, solar