Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #381
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
That is one option. I'd prefer to actually fix the problems rather than the symptom.
Well there is that but in the meantime, a visit to Home Despots... they likely don't carry windshiled gaskets for your bus.

Quote:
I don't recall suggesting/saying that I was worried about it. Simply attempting to share some real-world information that folks in the planning stages might find useful.
You mentioned shore power which implied it to me since it seems from your photos that you are rarely connected to.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #382
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I also deal with temperatures that many others would consider unacceptable. Insulated coveralls are a part of being able to cope. I don't run a heater at night normally, except in extreme weather when I fear my in-cabin water tank might freeze. I do use a mattress heating pad, and that normally seems to leak enough heat into the living area to keep things bearable.

I had strong intentions to travel south this winter.
I might have asked before but what elevation are you at? You're still western OR where it doesn't get COLD. But then again my idea of unacceptable varies slightly from most as I'm fine in a tent to at least 20°.

Damn near froze my balls off one New Year's Day at 26° in a 45° sleeping bag. I've got a 15° bag now but it remains untested below 24°.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #383
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
You're still western OR where it doesn't get COLD.
It's true my altitude is only about 800 feet, but I'm right at the snow line where the snow depth changes between 3" and 3' deep. It all depends on the jet stream. But you're right, it's not 40 below like Korea or AK. The ocean doesn't freeze here. It's not tent weather either. Cold and wet is much of our winter, with temps hanging around freezing. If you can stay dry you'll be ok, but you won't stay dry. It's a relief when things freeze and the water stops.

[/QUOTE]Damn near froze my balls off one New Year's Day at 26° in a 45° sleeping bag. I've got a 15° bag now but it remains untested below 24°.[/QUOTE]

Camping on new years day? Seriously, what's the matter with you? You've got a bus. Bring your tent on over here with your 15 degree bag. We'll discuss how cold it is outside. It can't be that bad, right?
Old 12-18-2017, 12:00 PM   #384
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
It's true my altitude is only about 800 feet, but I'm right at the snow line where the snow depth changes between 3" and 3' deep. It all depends on the jet stream. But you're right, it's not 40 below like Korea or AK. The ocean doesn't freeze here. It's not tent weather either. Cold and wet is much of our winter, with temps hanging around freezing. If you can stay dry you'll be ok, but you won't stay dry. It's a relief when things freeze and the water stops.
I've camped in the snow before but never in a heavy snow. I went out the last time we had a real blizzard but I set the tent up inside of the Adirondack shelter. I need to go back and check but it was something like 18" of snow.

Quote:
Camping on new years day? Seriously, what's the matter with you? You've got a bus. Bring your tent on over here with your 15 degree bag. We'll discuss how cold it is outside. It can't be that bad, right?
I had just bought the gf a 0° sleeping bag. Had to check it out. I was really hoping for colder weather but it was good it wasn't any colder as I might have been in serious trouble. I was wearing everything I had and sleeping with the bag pulled over my head. I never do either of those.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #385
Bus Geek

Your girlfriend must be extremely tolerant. I mean extreeeeeeemly tolerant. If she's that tolerant you might as well get a double sleeping bag.

You're right if you suspect the snow here is heavy or wet snow. Everything gets wet. Your waterproof boots are soaked, your waterproof jacket is wet and cold. Nothing likes to dry out because of the humidity. There are a number of campgrounds in the area, all of which are definitely empty this time of year. If it's not raining the trees are dripping from the fog.

Snow camping, in dry frozen weather, is a completely different kind of animal.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #386
Bus Geek

In a big ole sleeping bag, 25° is a piece of cake. Hiking in 25° isn't bad either. It's the in between times that sucks. You stop hiking early to make camp in the daylight. Make dinner and eat. Now what? If you're lucky, you're dead tired and can use the 14 hrs of sleep. The morning is going suck regardless. Takes awhile to get a fire going. Hot coffee off the Jet Boil is good but cools entirely too quickly. The toes take MUCH longer to thaw.

I did most of the complaining the next morning. My feet were FREEZING. Summer socks because I didn't want to sweat in the winter socks over night. I wasn't hypodermic but I might have been getting close.

You can keep the cold AND wet crap. As much as I like snow and colder weather, being wet and cold sucks!! 40° and rain can kill you.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #387
Bus Geek

P.S. Double sleeping bags are more than double the weight. To my knowledge no one makes an ultra-light double. Ultra-light = weight of 2 decent hiking sleeping bags. They are geared towards glamping where you have to walk 50 feet or less from the car to the yurt.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #388
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
P.S. Double sleeping bags are more than double the weight. To my knowledge no one makes an ultra-light double. Ultra-light = weight of 2 decent hiking sleeping bags. They are geared towards glamping where you have to walk 50 feet or less from the car to the yurt.
My next wife will be super skinny so we can fit in a single.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #389
Bus Geek

You shouldn't care how much the double sleeping bag weighs. You've got your own yurt on wheels. I realize at this point in your build it would be uninsulated metal tent camping, but that's better than waking up in a real tent.

Living in a bus either lowers your personal living standards or massively elevates your camping standards. It's a matter of perspective. My rig is not glamper, but the coffee flows freely and a hot foot bath does wonders for cold feet.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #390
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I was asked about the location of this block heater. Here is parts manual image with the red arrow pointing to it. It is labeled as an "immersion heater."

Perhaps the interesting bit is that the cord with the clipped off end was found hanging much further forward - up near the transmission.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #391
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Try Enlightened Equipment.

I have one of their quilts (Revelation))

Nothing else on the market even comes close for the money, and even then, they are not cheap.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #392
Bus Geek

A block heater is sounding like a really good idea at this time of year.

I saw several of your identical buses shuttling people from the train wreck near seattle.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #393
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
My next wife will be super skinny so we can fit in a single.
The only draw back to that theory is generally speaking they can't carry as much. And more importantly, if you get stranded, and only one of you makes it, there's isn't as much on the carcass to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robini
You shouldn't care how much the double sleeping bag weighs. You've got your own yurt on wheels. I realize at this point in your build it would be uninsulated metal tent camping, but that's better than waking up in a real tent.

Living in a bus either lowers your personal living standards or massively elevates your camping standards. It's a matter of perspective. My rig is not glamper, but the coffee flows freely and a hot foot bath does wonders for cold feet.
Lol. The original plan was to thru hike the Appalachian Trail. 2183 miles living in a 24 square foot tent with double occupancy. That hike takes between 5 and 7 months.

After that, 270 sq ft of bus would be a mansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDon
I was asked about the location of this block heater. Here is parts manual image with the red arrow pointing to it. It is labeled as an "immersion heater."
From what bus is your document? I have an outlet on the side of my bus. Haven't chased the wire. Haven't plugged it in either. Is there a way to see if it is working besides waiting x hours and putting your hand on the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg
Try Enlightened Equipment.

I have one of their quilts (Revelation))

Nothing else on the market even comes close for the money, and even then, they are not cheap.
I'll look them up.

Damn shame that you have to pay more for less (weight). I get it but don't like it.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #394
Bus Crazy

Quote:
From what bus is your document?
The subject of this thread - 1998 MCI 102-EL3.

Quote:
Is there a way to see if it is working besides waiting x hours and putting your hand on the engine?
You could use something like a Kill-A-Watt to know if it is drawing power. To know if it is actually working - seems like your hand, engine temp gauge, or one of those laser/infrared temp sensors would be the easy options.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #395
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
they even make plug-in remote energy monitors.. you can see the watts used on a phone app or online.. my whole house runs on a fully wired in solution. but Insteon makes plug-in units that I think are good up to 1500 watts.. if its pulling power its making heat somewhere. some block heaters have adjustable thermostats.. other people put them on timers to only run say 2 hours of every day or such... when its really cold out 1500 watts constantly will rape your electric bill pretty hard.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #396
Bus Geek

Quote:
You could use something like a Kill-A-Watt to know if it is drawing power.
I have a held held multi meter. Don't know how high it goes for amperage. Nor how much one of these puppies draws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
they even make plug-in remote energy monitors.. you can see the watts used on a phone app or online.. my whole house runs on a fully wired in solution. but Insteon makes plug-in units that I think are good up to 1500 watts.. if its pulling power its making heat somewhere. some block heaters have adjustable thermostats.. other people put them on timers to only run say 2 hours of every day or such... when its really cold out 1500 watts constantly will rape your electric bill pretty hard.
-Christopher
You would you techno geek.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #397
Bus Crazy

I hit my engine block with my infrared thermometer after the block heater had been plugged in for 3 hours or so. Outside temp was just below freezing, block temp was 56 degrees. A couple hours later (I didn't use the thermometer at this time) I started her up and she seemed very happy (as compared to how she acts when started cold).
Old 12-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #398
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
I hit my engine block with my infrared thermometer after the block heater had been plugged in for 3 hours or so. Outside temp was just below freezing, block temp was 56 degrees. A couple hours later (I didn't use the thermometer at this time) I started her up and she seemed very happy (as compared to how she acts when started cold).
Thank you for the information. I've asked for a block heater for Christmas....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #399
Bus Geek

Did you measure it in different spots? I wonder how much of the block it heats just 'cause I'm weird like that. End result of starting easy is what's important. Figure out what it draws for current yet?
Old 12-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #400
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Did you measure it in different spots? I wonder how much of the block it heats just 'cause I'm weird like that. End result of starting easy is what's important. Figure out what it draws for current yet?
No, sorry Bob. I now believe it is 1500 watts based on a part number lookup. Can't seem to find my Kill-A-Watt so haven't measured it.

Tags
conversion, lithium, mci, solar