Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #701
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
One idea I am considering is similar to the above.

Mount it on the rear below roof height but on a pivoting lift so that when docked it can be raised fairly easily.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #702
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I used a "crank up" satellite dish on my 1st bus. It was less than 8" tall in the stowed position.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:20 AM   #703
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by abwetzel63 View Post
...would it have been possible to mount it on a platform sticking out of the back of the bus, where the antenna only sticks up a tad, or would that block the signal too much?
I suspect that would block the signal. They say that a clear line of site is necessary. The further north you get, the lower on the horizon this is (for the Dish satellites, at least). I suspect any form of alternative is possible but if really a concern, a manually deployed antenna is probably the answer. I did that for a few years with my first RV and it worked fine for my style of use (stay in one place for a week or two). It was a bit of a nuisance to figure out and get good at but a person can get pretty quick at it with some practice.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #704
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I put one of the "crank up " dishes on my first bus.

It generally took 2-3 minutes to deploy. Stowed, it was only 6-8" tall.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #705
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
One idea I am considering is similar to the above.

Mount it on the rear below roof height but on a pivoting lift so that when docked it can be raised fairly easily.

I mean, it's not like you've got an awesome ladder hanging around on the back of your bus that makes it easy to access stuff on the roof. . . .
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #706
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
When I drove for a living, I had my Satellite Dish (Dish Network) mounted on a pole that raised it above the roof of my 13'8" tractor. I would find the ZIP code for the location and would input that into the set box. It would tell me the elevation and the azimuth for the dish. I would raise the dish to the correct elevation and then put the pole up and rotate it.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:11 AM   #707
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
I would find the ZIP code for the location and would input that into the set box. It would tell me the elevation and the azimuth for the dish. I would raise the dish to the correct elevation and then put the pole up and rotate it.
Undoubtedly there's an app for that today.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #708
Mini-Skoolie

Really interesting what you have done with this project so far! Have been reading all you blog posts yesterday and am wondering how the project is going?

Also: I could not find it anywhere and thought if you would share a bit of financial stuff, what the coach originally cost and what you spent to this point?
Really difficult to find information about these kind of conversions online, at least in comparison to skoolies.
caspar. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:31 AM   #709
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspar. View Post
Really interesting what you have done with this project so far! Have been reading all you blog posts yesterday and am wondering how the project is going?

Also: I could not find it anywhere and thought if you would share a bit of financial stuff, what the coach originally cost and what you spent to this point?.
Thanks Caspar,

The project is "stalled" but in a good way, sorta. I continue to live in Missy and am quite comfortable - she is working just fine. However; I've gotten so busy on other things that I have done very little work on her. By most people's standards, her interior remains a long ways from complete in terms of nice ceiling, walls, etc. I hate to admit it but I barely notice most of that anymore - unless I am giving a tour - then I am painfully aware of the lack of 'finish'.

I'm not too keen on sharing financial stuff. Most of the discussions here are about keeping these things inexpensive - I am all for that and certainly don't want to discourage anyone. All situations are unique so mine is as well. It is generally hard for any of us to understand the decisions made by someone else because (IMO) we tend to view them in the context of what we know/our own lives. So, if I tell you I spent $3.98 for a new gizmo, some folks think it was a smart purchase, others think it was a dumb purchase but all form an opinion. I'd rather folks see 'possibilities' and then figure out how to fit the possibilities that are attractive to them into their build/lives. For example; if I tell someone that I have a $400 million super yacht (I don't) and that you should get into boating too because the being rocked to sleep at night is wonderful - they will likely laugh and not give it a second though - not even remotely possible. If I tell you I have a boat and love being rocked to sleep, that might sound appealing to some and they might look into doing something similar - in whatever way is possible for them - which may be some floating 55 gallon drums and a sheet of plywood. That person can enjoy the experience just as much as the guy on the yacht.

I will say that I am employed full-time. Because of that, I am obligated (IMO) to have a reasonable working environment which includes power, Internet, 'comfort', and availability. The latter meaning that being broke down and sitting in some remote shop/unable to really focus on work for days at a time is not really an option. That's the agreement that I think 'working remotely' implies. If I were retired or unemployed, I would certainly NOT have a project such as Missy.

Having lived in medium size gas motorhome and then a couple years in a pretty nice diesel pusher motorhome, I knew what the 'life' was like - and I enjoyed it. The reason for a coach conversion is that there was nothing with which to fill my time - I was bored. I had made all the improvements that were 'possible'. Of course, things change (as Dwight Yoakum says) and that is no longer the case!! (busy again…)

With all that in mind, I will tell you that a coach project is several orders of magnitude more expensive than a typical bus conversion. Do some browsing at the cost of a used coach and you'll see what I mean. I've probably poured more into 'service' than the typical bus conversion budget. Given my diesel pusher motorhome experience, I knew that going in. I also knew what I "needed" to live the way I wanted to live (in terms of water capacity, power requirements, storage, etc.), how to drive it, where I could/could not go with it. I realize that not everyone has that experience - I'd suggest that a cheap motorhome for the first year might be the best investment any potential 'converter' could make.

Wow… a dissertation… sorry…
Old 03-31-2019, 10:49 AM   #710
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
No need to be sorry! I can understand your choice not to share financial stuff, it's always difficult to not have somebody feel attacked at the end.

Anyways - thanks for the detailed answer and the wise words. Got some stuff to think about now (as always)
caspar. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:57 AM   #711
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Thanks Caspar,

The project is "stalled" but in a good way, sorta. I continue to live in Missy and am quite comfortable - she is working just fine. However; I've gotten so busy on other things that I have done very little work on her. By most people's standards, her interior remains a long ways from complete in terms of nice ceiling, walls, etc. I hate to admit it but I barely notice most of that anymore - unless I am giving a tour - then I am painfully aware of the lack of 'finish'.

I'm not too keen on sharing financial stuff. Most of the discussions here are about keeping these things inexpensive - I am all for that and certainly don't want to discourage anyone. All situations are unique so mine is as well. It is generally hard for any of us to understand the decisions made by someone else because (IMO) we tend to view them in the context of what we know/our own lives. So, if I tell you I spent $3.98 for a new gizmo, some folks think it was a smart purchase, others think it was a dumb purchase but all form an opinion. I'd rather folks see 'possibilities' and then figure out how to fit the possibilities that are attractive to them into their build/lives. For example; if I tell someone that I have a $400 million super yacht (I don't) and that you should get into boating too because the being rocked to sleep at night is wonderful - they will likely laugh and not give it a second though - not even remotely possible. If I tell you I have a boat and love being rocked to sleep, that might sound appealing to some and they might look into doing something similar - in whatever way is possible for them - which may be some floating 55 gallon drums and a sheet of plywood. That person can enjoy the experience just as much as the guy on the yacht.

I will say that I am employed full-time. Because of that, I am obligated (IMO) to have a reasonable working environment which includes power, Internet, 'comfort', and availability. The latter meaning that being broke down and sitting in some remote shop/unable to really focus on work for days at a time is not really an option. That's the agreement that I think 'working remotely' implies. If I were retired or unemployed, I would certainly NOT have a project such as Missy.

Having lived in medium size gas motorhome and then a couple years in a pretty nice diesel pusher motorhome, I knew what the 'life' was like - and I enjoyed it. The reason for a coach conversion is that there was nothing with which to fill my time - I was bored. I had made all the improvements that were 'possible'. Of course, things change (as Dwight Yoakum says) and that is no longer the case!! (busy again…)

With all that in mind, I will tell you that a coach project is several orders of magnitude more expensive than a typical bus conversion. Do some browsing at the cost of a used coach and you'll see what I mean. I've probably poured more into 'service' than the typical bus conversion budget. Given my diesel pusher motorhome experience, I knew that going in. I also knew what I "needed" to live the way I wanted to live (in terms of water capacity, power requirements, storage, etc.), how to drive it, where I could/could not go with it. I realize that not everyone has that experience - I'd suggest that a cheap motorhome for the first year might be the best investment any potential 'converter' could make.

for a few years, I bought what might be called "derelict' housing, renovated it and either rented it out or sold it when the time seemed right - what I learned from that was to carefully evaluate what I was capable of completing in the time frame I had available, what my financial situation would allow, and what sort of experienced help was available - on paper it looked good, my assets were rising quickly, but what I didn't take into account when you are married was that you also need a cooperative domestic partner, or all is lost in the end
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:58 AM   #712
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
for a few years, I bought what might be called "derelict' housing, renovated it and either rented it out or sold it when the time seemed right - what I learned from that was to carefully evaluate what I was capable of completing in the time frame I had available, what my financial situation would allow, and what sort of experienced help was available - on paper it looked good, my assets were rising quickly, but what I didn't take into account when you are married was that you also need a cooperative domestic partner, or all is lost in the end
All is lost? Or just half.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:01 AM   #713
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
All is lost? Or just half.
lol - a LOT more than half
Old 03-31-2019, 11:49 AM   #714
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:

I'll second that for sure! My wife can easily sabotage my efforts with very little effort of her own (many times without even knowing it). Regular communication and buy-in are absolutely essential, or, as my grandfather used to say, "you are just pissing into the wind".
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #715
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
I hear ya, in my divorce, I had a 1/4 million in assets. The judge gave her ALL the assets and sent me away with the marital debt. She passed away last month and I'm now fighting to get daughters inheritance from her POS step father.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:56 PM   #716
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I hear ya, in my divorce, I had a 1/4 million in assets. The judge gave her ALL the assets and sent me away with the marital debt. She passed away last month and I'm now fighting to get daughters inheritance from her POS step father.
my first wife of 32 years was a gem and we are still friends - we raised a large family that have turned into selfsufficiant happy honest people - people change as they grew older, unfortunately, two people don't necessarily change in the same directions and a time came when we decided it would be better for both of us to pursue our own goals - we had no lawyers involved, just split things down the middle - when the final decree was ready, we met, signed it, and went for coffee to discuss an upcoming family event - when I remarried I was naive enough to hope for a relationship similar to the first marriage - little did I know the 2nd marriage was to someone with a mental disorder - one of the symptoms is the ability to hide it when they choose - it turned out I was at least 'Henry the Eighth' and she had just finished getting her 6th property settlement when I met her - with my attitude towards what marriage meant, it was very easy for a pro like her to set me up - what I had considered to be sharing on my end, was actually almost signing my life away - she gained almost $1/2 mil and I was left with an equity loan of $100,000 @10%
Old 04-01-2019, 10:51 AM   #717
Bus Crazy

A little more than ten years ago, after 23 years of a great marriage, I would not have believed any of what I now know to be the truth about divorce and the U.S. legal system.

I am still a big believer in love and marriage (from a spiritual perspective) and really miss having that special person with which to share life. However; the risk (emotional and financial) does not make a second attempt very appealing. From a legal/financial perspective, I no longer believe that marriage is a very smart choice for a guy. The risk is incredibly high. Some think that risk is just 'the money in the bank' or a few months of heartache. That is incorrect. The reality is destroyed relationships with your children, lost time and experiences with children/grandchildren that can never be reclaimed, and many years of emotional pain, and 'forced servitude'. The last bit is having to work the rest of your life under penalty of prison. I know... pretty crazy. Like I said, I would not have believed it if I hadn't lived it. Btw; I fully understand that the 13th amendment makes involuntary servitude illegal except as punishment for a crime. Sadly, the crime in the case of many divorces (and mine), would seem to be loving and caring for a person.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:30 AM   #718
Bus Crazy

Quote:
A little more than ten years ago, after 23 years of a great marriage, I would not have believed any of what I now know to be the truth about divorce and the U.S. legal system.

I am still a big believer in love and marriage (from a spiritual perspective) and really miss having that special person with which to share life. However; the risk (emotional and financial) does not make a second attempt very appealing. From a legal/financial perspective, I no longer believe that marriage is a very smart choice for a guy. The risk is incredibly high. Some think that risk is just 'the money in the bank' or a few months of heartache. That is incorrect. The reality is destroyed relationships with your children, lost time and experiences with children/grandchildren that can never be reclaimed, and many years of emotional pain, and 'forced servitude'. The last bit is having to work the rest of your life under penalty of prison. I know... pretty crazy. Like I said, I would not have believed it if I hadn't lived it. Btw; I fully understand that the 13th amendment makes involuntary servitude illegal except as punishment for a crime. Sadly, the crime in the case of many divorces (and mine), would seem to be loving and caring for a person.
I feel for you - fortunately for me my first wife never tried to take me away from what I was - on our last day together, we hugged and told me, that 'we had good years and tough years together, but I was never bored' - one of our kids told me later that the family had expected I would fall apart after the divorce, 'but you kept on just being you, and mom fell apart for a while' - the first wife and I are still friends, and I can still make her giggle, but some of the things that are important to her in her life and some of the things that are important to my life style are impossible to combine, so living together, even with compromising left us both unhappy - the 2nd wife was a professional 'house keeper', that's not to say she was good at keeping a house clean, and the emotional upheaval of losing my place, my way of life, my business, and almost my sanity was horrific - perhaps l'm one of the fortunate ones, my kids, grandkids, and great grandkids and I are close and loving, although I don't see most of them often enough because of distance, and I was able, after a while, to salvage my way of life, and much of the aura of this place that people so often comment on, has returned, a bit different than it once was perhaps, but still good
Old 04-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #719
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
You guys are scary. I offered the ex more than fair against the advice of my lawyer. The ex got greedy and wanted more. I told her to get bent and then offered much less. MD requires a 1 yr physical separation before granting a divorce. If you go to Little Johnny's bday party and have 1 beer too many, sleep on the couch, the year starts over. As it was near the end of that year, it was "take it or leave it" offer. She had the choice of me moving back in (my name was still on the house and it was perfectly legal to do so) or taking the much lower offer. She took the much lower offer. That's what she gets for 1) being greedy 2) hiring a hack lawyer.

I shouldn't complain too much about her lawyer since in the end it went my way without a long bloody court battle or anything but the guy really was an idiot. I knew more about the law than he did. The first separation agreement that he drafted was just plain wrong. Not sided for her, that I would expect. It was self contradicting. It just wasn't the way you draw up a contract. Then she was like "just sign it". Wait what??? You didn't want to sign the one I had drafted without your lawyer reading it, now you want me to sign yours when I know it's wrong? Showed it to my lawyer and we had a good laugh over it.

Turns out that I did tell him to get bent and/or he was an idiot. One of the emails to/from my lawyer accidentally had him copied on it. Oops, oh well. He never replied, at least to me. Maybe that's where he came up with the idea to dig deeper for gold. You'd think after 20 yrs of marriage that she would be smart enough to not call my bluff. If you want something done, the quickest way to make that happen is to tell me I can't do that. Especially considering the source. You're an ex for a reason (many reasons). Why the hell am I going to do ANYTHING you say? Batshit insane. She just didn't have a leg to stand on for more in court. I knew it. My lawyer knew it. And maybe they knew it deep down somewhere too.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:10 AM   #720
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I think I'll stick to the single and 'useless to the gay world because im over 35' scene.. much easier to just work, build busses, and handle my and my business's funds... im guess i'll never know what "married" or Partnered life is.. and from the stories I hear everywhere maybe being old and ugly to others of my same orientation is a blessing..

besides I doubt i'd ever meet anyone who likes to drink expresso as much as I do... and of they understood J1939 id probably ask whats wrong with them...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, lithium, mci, solar