Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 05:57 AM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auwyn View Post
Interesting point. I did an internet search and found this: Overview

No idea how expensive it will be, but the tech is there.

Loving the conversion btw.
Good find! "photochromic" seems to be the key word. I did some searching but not finding any supplies or pricing either (for large windows).

JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:37 AM   #62
Bus Crazy

I seem to bounce around working on several different things - I either run out of parts or need variety.

I have every 3" PVC connector/adapter available and I think I tried every possible combination before arriving at the following result. It is a fun game - kind of like building something with Lego's! I am pretty happy with the results. I really wanted to avoid 'flat' spots in the toilet waste line - keep everything moving down!

The electrically operated dump valve is in (but not wired). The shore power chord is in and connected. The shore water line is not mounted but is pretty much where it is going. I'm currently working on a panel that will hide the tanks and on which the filters and valves will be mounted.

The 120V wires for the microwave and refrigerator are roughed in. Oh, speaking of which - my Samsung refrigerator arrives this Thursday. I suspect getting it INTO the coach will be a project and a half!!

The Dometic 320 toilet is temporarily mounted.

I seem to have spent the bulk of my time recently putting the original lavatory stainless steel "shell" back in place and sealing it up. I wanted to build a replacement but I do not currently have access to a metal break or sheer so I knew I would be unhappy with the results. So, I am going green and reusing. I patched up the holes, sealed all around the edges, and riveted it back into place. I then coated it with out sound deadening mat and insulated the bottom. A small wood platform was constructed onto which the new floor will sit. The whole rear end of the coach is going to be one giant closet.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
looking good,
I am a huge fan of SS and you earlier mentioned that the structure was made of SS? So no rust ever?

Are all MCI's / coaches made of SS .

another thing coming from the small world where space is a premium..and so I am always thinking about that....can a black / grey water tank be taller? You did some nice sewer piping but could you have saved floor space with using a taller tank?

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #64
Bus Crazy

Hi Joe! I'm not sure about other MCI's - I'm slowly becoming an "expert" on this one model but not much else. Right, no rust - it is 304 SS. That said, there are steel parts on it - just not the frame.

I always seem to be trying to balance cost, time, and "desire" - that was certainly the case with the tanks. I probably should have custom designed the tanks to fit exactly into the space available. No doubt that I would have saved some space and maybe even gotten more capacity. However; I would have spent more (not sure how much more but I guess a lot more) and it would have taken longer. So, I chose to go with quick and affordable. I've been staying with a relative while getting the coach "ready" and I need to be moving out soon so timing has certainly been a factor.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #65
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Looks to me you are doing great, How tall is the basement?

When I lived in the vanhool the rust was driving me crazy. I am fortunate that this little Elfbus corbeil is aluminum and galvanized... but SS would be the cats meaouw or something like that.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #66
Bus Crazy

The wet bay, which is not exclusively a wet bay, is slowly coming together. If I could manage to get all the necessary parts, connectors, adapters, fittings, and everything else all in one trip to the store I probably would have been done with it weeks ago.

The basic idea is all water coming into the coach is filtered and all water coming out of the fresh water tank and into the coach is filtered.

The water pumps in my previous motorhomes produced more noise than I cared for and I always did some tweaking to resolve that. This time around, I am trying this homemade water pump "mount."

It is just a couple chunks of soft foam with a couple pieces of plywood. Simple idea - the pump is floating on a couple layers of foam and none of the mounting screws (to pump or chassis) are connected - except thru a layer of foam. Time will tell if it passes my test.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #67
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
The water pumps in my previous motorhomes produced more noise than I cared for and I always did some tweaking to resolve that. This time around, I am trying this homemade water pump "mount."

It is just a couple chunks of soft foam with a couple pieces of plywood. Simple idea - the pump is floating on a couple layers of foam and none of the mounting screws (to pump or chassis) are connected - except thru a layer of foam. Time will tell if it passes my test.
I like that idea. Is the middle piece of ply the isolated connection between the pump to the chassis?

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #68
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
I like that idea. Is the middle piece of ply the isolated connection between the pump to the chassis?
Yes, exactly! I didn't describe it very well.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:50 AM   #69
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Looks to me you are doing great, How tall is the basement?
I had to do some measuring. She is listed as having 445 cubic feet of basement storage space. In reality, this translates to two large bays that measure about 67" wide, 41" tall, and 95" across and one smaller bay that measures 40" wide, 39" tall, and 18" deep/across - along with a fewer smaller cubbyholes. There are a few odds and ends in the way (door latches and such) but overall, one can stash a LOT of stuff down there.

Maybe someday I'll be able to park a Ferrari LaFerrari down there!!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:03 AM   #70
Bus Crazy

Quote:
and one smaller bay that measures 40" wide, 39" tall, and 18" deep/across
Sorry, my bad, smaller bay measures 40" wide, 41" tall, and 95" across.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #71
Bus Crazy

Big day yesterday (another one). There is now a refrigerator/freezer and couch taking up some interior space!!

Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #72
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I can understand squeezing a couch through the door, but how did you get that big fridge in there?
Old 04-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #73
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I can understand squeezing a couch through the door, but how did you get that big fridge in there?
Would you believe me if I told you that I brought it in from above and thru the escape hatch?!?!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #74
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You must have a considerably larger escape hatch than I do. Escape hatch envy!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:12 PM   #75
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
You must have a considerably larger escape hatch than I do. Escape hatch envy!
HA!!

The truth is kinda cool. All but the forward most windows open. I found out yesterday that they open all the way to perpendicular with the ground. So, the delivery truck with lift gate backed up to the side, we opened a window, and slid the couch and refrigerator in. It was easier than taking them into a house!!
Old 04-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #76
Skoolie

Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
Quote:
This weekend was fairly successful.

A great deal of cleaning and the interior is looking pretty empty and pretty good! Finally!

I was going to replace the entire floor but the existing plywood is in good shape so I'm leaving it in place and installing 7/16" OSB over the top. I wanted to take Offgr1d's advice and use MLV but didn't for two reasons. The first is that I would be sandwiching it between layers of plywood and it does not seem to excel in that mode (it likes to be loose/float, as I understand it). The second is that it is expensive! Yes, I am a cheapskate. Instead, I have ordered 1/4" cork to sandwich between the two layers. Fingers crossed that I'm happy with the results.

I was able to get a Duratex coated plywood panel up in the basement and started installing house electrical components. Lots to go there.

Great progress so far!!!! Awesome bus 😁

Your right, unless you take out floor and hang MLV between luggage frame and under your new plywood so it floats with minimal attachment it won't do much good, I think the cork is a great idea for the method you choose, it should definitely dampen quite a bit of noise and vibration..

Jess
Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:36 AM   #77
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgr1d View Post
Great progress so far!!!! Awesome bus 😁

Your right, unless you take out floor and hang MLV between luggage frame and under your new plywood so it floats with minimal attachment it won't do much good, I think the cork is a great idea for the method you choose, it should definitely dampen quite a bit of noise and vibration..
Thanks Jess! That is good to hear!!

Working like a dog on this thing - every spare minute is going into it. Up to this point, I've been staying with family but that is about to change. I'm soon going to be fighting the "live in while working on" battle with which you are familiar. Therefore; I have a number of temporary systems setup (like a utility sink) until I decide what I want for a permanent solution.

I'm really struggling with kitchen cabinets. I kind of like the look of the hickory Diamond Now Denver cabinets at Lowes. However; they feel very cheaply made. So, I suppose DIY or hiring some custom cabinets is the way to go. See, undecided!!
Old 04-22-2017, 06:28 AM   #78
Skoolie

Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
I know exactly what you mean! More than half my time is spent "trying to decide" what route to go - lol. I'm all too familiar with this and the live in make temp solutions.... makes me laugh. (Not at you) just so hits the experience...
Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:22 AM   #79
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgr1d View Post
I know exactly what you mean! More than half my time is spent "trying to decide" what route to go - lol. I'm all too familiar with this and the live in make temp solutions.... makes me laugh. (Not at you) just so hits the experience...
I call this "Design Time."
Old 04-25-2017, 07:54 AM   #80
Bus Crazy

I finally got the rear looking backup video camera mounted. I've been putting this off cause I hate drilling holes in the outside skin but the time had come.

It looks ok up there, it would be cooler if it had one of those nice fiberglass "enclosures" but we'll survive for now.

The monitor for the camera is yet to be mounted in the dash.

I'm in a location that has had lots of rain recently and that proved to be an excellent test of the water proof-ness of the coach. Things started out pretty well with only two, very small leaks. But then it got worse. The things that were REALLY bad were the back marker lights. So, on a dry day, I pulled all of them out and resealed. As you can see from the above photo, the LED strip lights are still out - resealing them is proving to be more difficult. It's due to rain tomorrow again so the test of my work is just around the corner!!

Tags
conversion, lithium, mci, solar